HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iDTV (integrated DVB-T tuner)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #31

I have two, both work.
One of it is a table top DX antenna from DX in Sim lim tower. The signal is slightly stronger than the other, but I still need to pop it out to the window.
Thats why I go to get the second piece which is only a simple stick ($16) from RF in sim lim square. It come with a magnet base where I can stick it outside my window grille.

I found that I need to put it outdoor and facing bukit batok to get signal. The signal is either you got it full or totally miss (no signal for HD5). If you are block by other building, the signal will be week. I do not have any blockage.
Old 22-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

live near mindef and your signal is the best!

otherwise tv-mobile everywhere because of bus needs to run tvmobile for ad revenue.

but didn't realize that Samsung IDTV requires a A/B switch, thought they will have two tuners, one analog, one digital for different input sources.
Old 22-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #33

Yes, it has 2 tuner. But there is only 1 antenna socket !

It was design so that you have your digital antenna and anolog antenna together at your rooftop. The mixer will mix them over there and send it down. So you only need 1 input. We are at the transition period. So when all free to air channel are digital, you only need 1 small antenna.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #34

Just got my idtv works. Perfect!

Here are the things you need to get dvb-t with HD5:
1. a iDTV with build in DVB-T tuner, ex my samsung series 4 plasma with dvb-t, or sharp D series LCD, or an external Draco box.

2. you need a simple digital antenna. It is only a stick of few inches long. The SCV cable point and HDB rooftop antenna may not work.

3. you need to face the antenna to the direction of Bukit Batok. Try to move it around, out of the window, to get good signal. You should be able to get TVMobil in most direction. HD5 required best/strong signal.

4. If you still can not get it, most like your area is not covered. Please wait till 2012 when Mediacorp fully launch digital broadcast for all channel, all area. Or, you can move your house to where there is digital signal. BTW, I stay in Bukit Panjang, you are always welcome.

5. You need to have a A/B switch to switch between analog (SCV point or rooftop) and digital antenna, as the channel U and Okto have no digital yet. The antenna mixer does not work here.

You will know your money well spend only when you get HD5 on your LCD or Plasma. Even the digital 5,8 & CNA are sharper than analog SCV point.

Why can't starhub send down the DVB-T signal on their SCV Point? I can't receive any digital signal at my place which is at the north, I'm staying at mid-level floor. It's very terrible that I brought a Digital Tuner and cannot received any Digital Channel at All.

What's MDA and HDB doing? We're Paying TV Licenese fees and we're restricted by Starhub on what we can received. I would rather have a good working Roof Top Antenna on my HDB root top so that I can received Digital TV.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

live near mindef and your signal is the best!

otherwise tv-mobile everywhere because of bus needs to run tvmobile for ad revenue.

but didn't realize that Samsung IDTV requires a A/B switch, thought they will have two tuners, one analog, one digital for different input sources.
tvmobile is a dead implementation in Singapore. Most new bus do not have it install anymore.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #36

hmm actually no need a A/B switch. I got a very simple spiltter and used it the other way round and the effect were quite acceptable. Of course maybe my area has strong signal.. May not be workable for other areas.
Old 28-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #37

Lightbulb Build Your Own Hd5 Antenna

I have made one out of parts bought from Sim lim as well for 8 bucks.
Here is the proof of concept video that it works for Singapore HD5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0rcKqLdEM

Instruction to build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNRZEM9wJz0&feature=fvw

P.S. if you want a switch for SCV Point and HD Antenna you need this.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11600138

Last edited by markasong1; 28-09-2009 at 02:42 AM..
Old 28-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #38

Instruction to build.

interesting~ will try when free though i can recv dvb-t thru rooftop antenna~

Old 28-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #39

Hi guys!

Which shops in Sim Lim can I buy a DVB-T antenna? My TV's got an integrated tuner so I'll just need the antenna, right?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #40

Hi markasong1 ,

Where did you purchase the DIY kit?

I went to SL Tower and they sell the normal HD atenna.

Que to Samsung 5 series user: I noticed the TV antenna point got seems a bit small for normal antenna. Do I really have to forcefully insert the cable in?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #41
Senior Mentor

hmm actually no need a A/B switch. I got a very simple spiltter and used it the other way round and the effect were quite acceptable. Of course maybe my area has strong signal.. May not be workable for other areas.
hmmm~
never thought of using splitter in this way b4~
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #42
Senior Mentor

Instruction to build.

nice guide~
got time will make one to play play~
Old 26-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #43

Some questions about DVB~

Hi,I m planing to get a Full HD LCD TV this coming COMEX. I have decided the brands of my TV and all I m waiting is the price. Yesterday while I was surfing net,suddently I saw wat build DVB tuner.

All I know about DVB is its a digital turner that allow the TV to receive digital signals. Am I right? With DVB can watch HD5, no DVB then cannot right? Then how about those TVs without built in DVB(No HD5 for them?!)? How much does the turner cost?

Thx~
Old 27-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #44
Master Member

Hi,I m planing to get a Full HD LCD TV this coming COMEX. I have decided the brands of my TV and all I m waiting is the price. Yesterday while I was surfing net,suddently I saw wat build DVB tuner.

All I know about DVB is its a digital turner that allow the TV to receive digital signals. Am I right? With DVB can watch HD5, no DVB then cannot right? Then how about those TVs without built in DVB(No HD5 for them?!)? How much does the turner cost?

Thx~
Comex already over leh. Next one starting at 26 Nov (next month) is Sitex.

Ext DVB tuner box is about $300 to $399?

SInce you are buying a new LCD TV, just get one with built in DVB tuner.

The Sonys and Samungs have them now.
Old 27-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #45

from dvb tuner(built-in or external), connect to tv wall input (HDB flat) or use external antenna?

if use antenna, my flat is on 7 floor (from 30 floor) toa payoh lor 1, can get hd 5 channel?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.