HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iDTV (integrated DVB-T tuner)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #46

Thx for the reply but I m planing to get either Panasonic TH-L32S10S(IPS Alpha panel but no DVB) or Sony KDL-32V5500(built in DVB). Price for both I also know but its very hard to decide which to get. Either a good panel or a build in DVB lol.
Old 27-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #47
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is iDTV (integrated DVB-T tuner) useful?

I am looking for a 32" LCD mainly for TV use. Panasonic 32" S series is my choice for the moment but it does not have a IDTV tuner. Samsung 32" 5 series is next closes to my budget.

Any experts can give any advice?
Old 27-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #48
Supremacy Member

Intending to get DVB LCD TV

I have narrow it down to either Samsung LA40B530 or LG LH35 series

Which one should I buy?

Basically used for playing PC games, watching FullHD TV, and watch movies.

LG LH35 series specs looks good
IPS - Advanced LCD Panel
Full HD 1080p
80,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
4 ms Response Time
DivX thru' USB 2.0
3 X HDMI (ver. 1.3 deep colour)
Simplink ( HDMI-CEC)
Anti Dazzling system
Invisible speakers
Clear voice

Samsung LA40B530
dynamic contrast ratio
full HD 1,080p - 1,080p / 24p input
certified HD digital TV
Wide Colour Enhancer 2
DNIe+ image processor
Anynet+ HDMI - CEC

Last edited by NY__chickenpie; 27-11-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Old 28-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #49

If you're only limited to these 2 choices, then it's the Samsung 40B530 definitely. No fight here at all. It's going for $1099 at sitex. Don't compare specs between 2 different manufacturers; it doesn't imply any superiority or inferiority at all =)
Old 28-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #50

The idTV tuner currently don't mean a thing. The antenna that we connect from the wall socket to the tv only receives analog channels from the rooftop. If you intend to receive HD channels, u gotta either subscribe to MioTV or starhub cable tv and get from their set top box, or buy a HD antenna and connect it to your tv, and only then will a TV's integrated digital tuner tune the digital channels.

So currently, it's a white elephant, until the government implements digital antenna on the rooftops. So, just get the Panny S =)
Old 28-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #51
Arch-Supremacy Member

The idTV tuner currently don't mean a thing. The antenna that we connect from the wall socket to the tv only receives analog channels from the rooftop. If you intend to receive HD channels, u gotta either subscribe to MioTV or starhub cable tv and get from their set top box, or buy a HD antenna and connect it to your tv, and only then will a TV's integrated digital tuner tune the digital channels.

So currently, it's a white elephant, until the government implements digital antenna on the rooftops. So, just get the Panny S =)
i see. so without a singtel or starhub setup box, id TV tuner is still useless. thanks !
Old 28-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #52

i see. so without a singtel or starhub setup box, id TV tuner is still useless. thanks !
The DVB-T does not work with SH or Mio TV set top box.

IMHO, the DVB-T will be a thing of the past, unless a massive exercise is undertaken to install/modify the rooftop antennae on most HDB flats, and reestablish the connection to all the units in the HDB flat. Mine has been left unused for many years and the connector is already rusty.

Once the open network is rolled out, I believe the Mediacorp will use it to transmit their channels (esp. HD channels) to homes. Of course, consumers will likely have to pay for it somehow. Mediacorp will then no longer be at the mercy of SH or Singnet to transmit the channels on their behalf. This is especially true if Mediacorp wants to offer more HD channels to consumers.
Old 28-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #53
Arch-Supremacy Member

The DVB-T does not work with SH or Mio TV set top box.

IMHO, the DVB-T will be a thing of the past, unless a massive exercise is undertaken to install/modify the rooftop antennae on most HDB flats, and reestablish the connection to all the units in the HDB flat. Mine has been left unused for many years and the connector is already rusty.

Once the open network is rolled out, I believe the Mediacorp will use it to transmit their channels (esp. HD channels) to homes. Of course, consumers will likely have to pay for it somehow. Mediacorp will then no longer be at the mercy of SH or Singnet to transmit the channels on their behalf. This is especially true if Mediacorp wants to offer more HD channels to consumers.
i am getting a clearer picture now. i guess it depends on how they are going to implement the HD channels. thanks for all the info folks.
Old 28-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #54

I have a TV with internal DVB-T tuner (Bravia W5500). I can get HD5, Dgital 8, Digital 5 and Digital CNA using a $12 antenna.
Old 28-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #55
Supremacy Member

I wonder how much is the LG LH 35 series, its a IPS panel while samsung ising a TN panel
Old 28-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #56

I have a TV with internal DVB-T tuner (Bravia W5500). I can get HD5, Dgital 8, Digital 5 and Digital CNA using a $12 antenna.
Its your location.
Digital TV in Singapore is all about LOCATION and Reception.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 28-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #57

Its your location.
Digital TV in Singapore is all about LOCATION and Reception.
My problem with Digital TV in Singapore is that I have to buy another antenna and use another powered socket for it. It would have been easier to plug into the home SCV point if the flat antenna supports digital signal. Wonder when the relevant authorities would upgrade all HDB rooftop antennas.
Old 29-11-2009, 02:27 AM   #58

I wonder how much is the LG LH 35 series, its a IPS panel while samsung ising a TN panel
Samsung is using S-PVA panel..
Old 30-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #59

Bought the Philips 42PFL8404 from Sitex yesterday. Delivery will be next week.

Just realised that the unit has both DVB-T and DVB-C tuners. Googled and found that Starhub transmits in DVB-C.

Anyone knows if simply plugging this TV to the CATV point will enable the viewing of all digital Mediacorp channels (more importantly HD5)?

If not, guess I will have to source for a digital attenna.

Specs of 42PFL8404 from Philips website:

MPEG4 HDTV reception via DVB-T and DVB-C tuner with CI+*
HDTV allows you to watch TV in the best possible picture and sound quality, without additional set-top box. Thanks to the built in tuner that supports DVB-Terrestrial and DVB-Cable signals for both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 formats, you receive high definition TV programs in exceptional quality. Moreover, with Common Interface Plus (CI+) you benefit from premium high definition content directly on your TV.

Last edited by totopet; 30-11-2009 at 05:09 PM..
Old 30-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #60

do i need a indoor digital antenna?

my room dun have those wall tv socket outlet..im planning to get a lcd tv with integrated digital tuner.. the question is do i still need to buy those indoor antenna? or i can watch tv str8 with the inbuilt tuner?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.