HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iDTV (integrated DVB-T tuner)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #61

Mio TV has HD5 -- DVB-T not required as MIO box provide the signal to the LCD TV using HDMI or component interface

Starhub has HD5 -- DVB-T not required as its HD setup box also provides signal to the LCD TV using HDMI or component interface

DVB-T tuner is ONLY used when an antenna, which is capable of receiving HD digital signal over the air, is connected to it. Currently, we only have free HD5.

In short, DVB-T is useless at this point of time.... I do not want to go through so much hassle just to watch HD5...

Bought the Philips 42PFL8404 from Sitex yesterday. Delivery will be next week.

Just realised that the unit has both DVB-T and DVB-C tuners. Googled and found that Starhub transmits in DVB-C.

Anyone knows if simply plugging this TV to the CATV point will enable the viewing of all digital Mediacorp channels (more importantly HD5)?

If not, guess I will have to source for a digital attenna.

Specs of 42PFL8404 from Philips website:

MPEG4 HDTV reception via DVB-T and DVB-C tuner with CI+*
HDTV allows you to watch TV in the best possible picture and sound quality, without additional set-top box. Thanks to the built in tuner that supports DVB-Terrestrial and DVB-Cable signals for both MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 formats, you receive high definition TV programs in exceptional quality. Moreover, with Common Interface Plus (CI+) you benefit from premium high definition content directly on your TV.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #62

DVB-T channels better quality?

Ignoring HD5, for the rest of the free-to-air digital channels using DVB-T receiver, are they of better visual/audio quality than those from normal digital starhub setup box?

E.g. watching digital 8 using dvb-t vs watching channel 8 (analogue?) on starhub cable.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #63
Master Member

Hi all, i saw Best Denki selling Draco Digital TV antena for $49. Anyone knows if Hougang can get good reception for Digital signal? Feel like buying it to watch Hd5
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #64

Hi all, i saw Best Denki selling Draco Digital TV antena for $49. Anyone knows if Hougang can get good reception for Digital signal? Feel like buying it to watch Hd5
u can find cheaper and better (in terms of performance) antennae than the one u mentioned. I hv one but I prefer the tiny $10+ antennae (sticklike) as it performs better than the $49 one (and also huge in terms of real estate). Plus the $49 one needs power to boost it up sometimes. U can buy the tiny ant at sls (other types also available) - look for those shops dealing in RF connectors cables etc.

Not confirmed - I hv read in this forum that some hv used the cheap analogue ones found in neighbourhood shops that can capture TV3 and they claimed to work with digital tv.

However as petetherock warned, using antennae for tv signals is a very uncertain thing...
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...&postcount=406

Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #65
Master Member

Ic...if it's $10++ i dont mind trying...but does that means if i wana watch Ch U...i have to swap the antena as i heard that Ch U only runs on analogue signal
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #66
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ignoring HD5, for the rest of the free-to-air digital channels using DVB-T receiver, are they of better visual/audio quality than those from normal digital starhub setup box?

E.g. watching digital 8 using dvb-t vs watching channel 8 (analogue?) on starhub cable.

Thanks in advance.
yesterday, the best denki salesman told me that dvb-t tuner has better tv reception than those w/o dvb-t tuner. I was quite skeptical of his words.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #67
High Supremacy Member

wats the use if its only 1 free to air chan HD5 for iDTV, its nt like HD5 got good movies....do ppl actually still bother to watch chan5/hd5?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #68
tk
Supremacy Member

yesterday, the best denki salesman told me that dvb-t tuner has better tv reception than those w/o dvb-t tuner. I was quite skeptical of his words.
sounds like the same salesman i talked to.. junction 8 branch??
Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #69

I've gotten an external antenna for my idTV. I am able to receive Digital 5 and 8 and CNA, but not HD5 and TV Mobile. My tv supposingly supports AVC and h.264 decoding, but I just can't seem to get them.

I've read that TV Mobile should be the easiest to get because of its stronger transmission than the rest, that's why I can't understand why I can't get that. Any help or advice here? I stay in yishun..
Old 02-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #70

Think AVCHD == H.264 coding....

I can sense the agony and pain of paying so much for a LCD TV with all those nice features (idTV... DVB-T tuner..... 100HZ/200Hz...... etc) and yet it cannot receive the ever elusive HD5...

Put it this way...the broadcasting location of HD5 is at Bukit Batok... that is some distance away from Yishun. Also, AVCHD data is huge.... so if the signal is not strong.... you get nothing.. Do you have starhub TV or MioTV subscription?? you may get better chances with their HD setup box...

Hence... unless one is playing HD games or watch blu-ray movies.... it is not sensible to pay thru' the nose for a good set of HD TV now...

I've gotten an external antenna for my idTV. I am able to receive Digital 5 and 8 and CNA, but not HD5 and TV Mobile. My tv supposingly supports AVC and h.264 decoding, but I just can't seem to get them.

I've read that TV Mobile should be the easiest to get because of its stronger transmission than the rest, that's why I can't understand why I can't get that. Any help or advice here? I stay in yishun..
Old 03-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #71
Arch-Supremacy Member

sounds like the same salesman i talked to.. junction 8 branch??
farrer park, city square mall.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #72
Master Member

i'm able to watch hd5. staying in yishun blk 7xx
using g11s with a digital antenna
Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #73

Sian, I oso block 7xx, but no signal for hd5 and TVM. As for digital signals, at some certain times of the day i can receive clearly, then sometimes just cannot get signal. Thats so weird!

I can't place near window cos cable not long enuff =((
Old 04-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #74

I can't place near window cos cable not long enuff =((
...can extend with a coaxial m/f cable - works for me.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #75
Master Member

yea get it close to the window.. there's a certain direction to point where the signal is about 8-9/10
i'm staying on 7th floor, so probably higher is stronger?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.