HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Importing Displays, TVs, projectors, Cables and other items from Overseas - Myths and info

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2007, 03:00 AM   #1

Importing Displays, TVs, projectors, Cables and other items from Overseas - Myths and info

Large format LCD TVs (46" & above), are 35% cheaper in USA stores, Amazon, Dell, BestBuy, Circuit City, etc...Comparing a top-end Philips model sold in Singapore for $4,700, the compatible unit cost only US$1,700 (S$2,500) in US, excluding delivery, freight. (a scooping 45% less). Factoring local & international freight via Vpost & GST, totalling S$700, you'd still be saving $1,500.

And mind you , the US versions seems to have more advanced features, like HDTV and terresterial DTV built-in. Of course, only if you can risk w/o local warranty.
Check out other Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc models in USA, and you be amazed, how a traditionally business model exists in US, as opposed to Asia.

Some may comment, what above tuner system (PAL/NTSC) and voltage, but some models do come with PAL tuners (usually not stated in retailers' specs), and international voltage (110V-240V), when you go into manufacturers' US website. I have checked with some US manufacturers, and confirm compatibility in Singapore.

We may suspect, due to the higher rate of takeup of HDTVs, (due to HD programming cut-off deadline in US early next year), the LCD/Plasma sets are priced attractively to win in the US market. But why only the 46" & above models only?

Are Asian retailers riding on a booming Asian economy, esp in Singapore or are large LCDs are positioned as luxury here, since there is no big hurry? Perhaps we should support (help) the ailing US market. Perhaps someone can comment...

You may say it is manufacturers' positioning in different maturing markets, but what about digital cameras?...is Asia less matured in this area?....Well, I am enjoying my new camera from Dell US, bought last month for S$500 including shipping to Singapore, worth $799 (after bargain $750) in Singapore. An amazing 2/3 the price!.

Check out your desired latest digital cameras from US online retailers, and do your maths with Vpost shipping. For now, I have placed my order for my Philips 47" LCD TV from US, rw/o local warranty. Will keep posted on any bad news for myself..

Feel free to share.
Old 26-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

what if something goes wrong & your tv is damaged when in freight or you got a defective set?

unless it's covered under intl warranty then it'll be worth
Old 26-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

u are a brave man!
Old 26-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Large format LCD TVs (46" & above), are 35% cheaper in USA stores, Amazon, Dell, BestBuy, Circuit City, etc...Comparing a top-end Philips model sold in Singapore for $4,700, the compatible unit cost only US$1,700 (S$2,500) in US, excluding delivery, freight. (a scooping 45% less). Factoring local & international freight via Vpost & GST, totalling S$700, you'd still be saving $1,500.

And mind you , the US versions seems to have more advanced features, like HDTV and terresterial DTV built-in. Of course, only if you can risk w/o local warranty.
Check out other Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc models in USA, and you be amazed, how a traditionally business model exists in US, as opposed to Asia.

Some may comment, what above tuner system (PAL/NTSC) and voltage, but some models do come with PAL tuners (usually not stated in retailers' specs), and international voltage (110V-240V), when you go into manufacturers' US website. I have checked with some US manufacturers, and confirm compatibility in Singapore.

We may suspect, due to the higher rate of takeup of HDTVs, (due to HD programming cut-off deadline in US early next year), the LCD/Plasma sets are priced attractively to win in the US market. But why only the 46" & above models only?

Are Asian retailers riding on a booming Asian economy, esp in Singapore or are large LCDs are positioned as luxury here, since there is no big hurry? Perhaps we should support (help) the ailing US market. Perhaps someone can comment...

You may say it is manufacturers' positioning in different maturing markets, but what about digital cameras?...is Asia less matured in this area?....Well, I am enjoying my new camera from Dell US, bought last month for S$500 including shipping to Singapore, worth $799 (after bargain $750) in Singapore. An amazing 2/3 the price!.

Check out your desired latest digital cameras from US online retailers, and do your maths with Vpost shipping. For now, I have placed my order for my Philips 47" LCD TV from US, rw/o local warranty. Will keep posted on any bad news for myself..

Feel free to share.
Hi bro, do share with us how much vPost actually charges you for shipping.
Old 26-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Buying from USA for large items is different from small items like cameras.

Do have a look at the sticky, where shipping from USA has been discussed. Caveat emptor...

Or this thread:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=47828.0

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 26-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #6

PLaced order with AntOnline Store, Try Butterfly Photo (both partnering Amazon)
47" LCD Full HD TV - US$1,690 (S$2,450)
Local Ground SHipping US$88 (S$130)
7% GST (S$180)
Vpost Shipping - S$512 S$450 - with UOB credit card , less 13%
(53kg, 10" x 55" x 45" - check vpostusa calculator)
TOTAL: S$3,210
BUY LOCAL : $4,700 - $4,999 (with some unwanted free gifts and vouchers)
SAVE $1,500 (w/o local warranty, Philips Singapore will not accept warranty fee)
RISK?? Definitely. The issue is not about being worthwhile or not?..
it is about why does manufacturers positioned so much higher price in Singapore/ASia,
OR why do local retailers ask for so much more??
Old 26-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #7

PLaced order with AntOnline Store, Try Butterfly Photo (both partnering Amazon)
47" LCD Full HD TV - US$1,690 (S$2,450)
Local Ground SHipping US$88 (S$130)
7% GST (S$180)
Vpost Shipping - S$512 S$450 - with UOB credit card , less 13%
(53kg, 10" x 55" x 45" - check vpostusa calculator)
TOTAL: S$3,210
BUY LOCAL : $4,700 - $4,999 (with some unwanted free gifts and vouchers)
SAVE $1,500 (w/o local warranty, Philips Singapore will not accept warranty fee)
RISK?? Definitely. The issue is not about being worthwhile or not?..
it is about why does manufacturers positioned so much higher price in Singapore/ASia,
OR why do local retailers ask for so much more??
wow... so which model did you order?
Old 26-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #8

Someone did it long ago via a purchase through the US store Sears.. We asked how was it, in the end, he disappeared from the forum.

I think hwz username is cheesydog.
Old 26-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #9

will share

Well, like I said I will share with you any good/bad news, when my Philips 47PFL7432D/37 arrives next month, and after use. For now, I am happy with my Canon S5IS camera purchase from Dell US, until it breaks down. Nonetheless, I trust branded products wouldn't fail too easily. Talking about risks, not forgetting you can purchase shipping insurance, with Vpost, but not too sure if it covers electronic problems?
Old 26-11-2007, 09:08 PM   #10

How long will it usally take for a company to deliver your TV after you buy it? (Eg. Sony - Locally bought BTW) Cuz if it's around 3 weeks locally then I think I'll order from the US.
Old 26-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #11

with shipping and insurance.. u sure cheap alot ? if not y bother ? y it here.. warranty very impt.. y not go down SITEX take a look ..
Old 26-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #12

Well, like I said I will share with you any good/bad news, when my Philips 47PFL7432D/37 arrives next month, and after use. For now, I am happy with my Canon S5IS camera purchase from Dell US, until it breaks down. Nonetheless, I trust branded products wouldn't fail too easily. Talking about risks, not forgetting you can purchase shipping insurance, with Vpost, but not too sure if it covers electronic problems?
i hope you got the step down transformer (300watts) as well as the voltage for this model is 120v..
all the best!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #13

It's a new year. Upz for some updates.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
High Supremacy Member

also disappear liao hah?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

i also want to hear from TS.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.