HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

LG OLED vs Nanocell - how to choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

LG OLED vs Nanocell - how to choose?

Hello - anyone got any simple explanation on which is more worthwhile to buy?
watchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Hello - anyone got any simple explanation on which is more worthwhile to buy?
Sorry for incoming WOT

Not an expert by any means. But I was also researching and for a good while was leaning towards Nanocell but having read more, seems like if you are willing to take the plunge (budget allows, size is ok, contrasts/brightness of room is ok) then OLED is the way to go.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm...ed_for_gaming/

is one such thread but there's plenty more.

The gist of it being
OLED: superior quality (best is go down to retailers like Harvey Norman to view for yourself.)

General consensus is OLED trumps Nanocell and QLED - which in essence is similar to Nanocell but more superior. by no means is it same as OLED. But every person is different, perhaps you go down and find that you like QLED display colours more than OLED. (OLED blacks are deep black and good if the room is not too bright if I'm not mistaken).

Also, for OLED vs Nanocell, even within them they have different sub models. For future-proofing, if I'm not mistaken, the OLEDs (C9 and this year's 2020 models) have HDMI 2.1 which is a huge leap from the HDMI 2.0 as it allows for output of 60fps 120Hz I think. But read up that the 2020 models in fact are sort of limited - i.e. 2019 model C9 is full HDMI 2.1 but 2020 model is not full.

However, that's by no means a bad thing as there's no tech currently available to maximise its usage or use HDMI 2.1 to the fullest so I think LG chose to focus on other aspects. Do read up more on it, might be technical but if you get the grasp of it, it can help inform you.

Also, If you intend to game, look for those VRR/ALLM etc. or read up more on it.

One caveat being that OLED will suffer from burn-in over time. Again this is a huge topic by itself. I wrote some stuff in the other thread on it

But for any other bros who are more knowledgeable, appreciate your input and corrections
SniperMarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.