HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

My LG 55EG910T up lorry!!! Only 3 years of minimum usage!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #1

My LG 55EG910T up lorry!!! Only 3 years of minimum usage!

My LG OLED TV 55EG910T bought in early June 2016, screen just went dark, can hear TV channel, see some movement but all dark on screen.

As OLED, we minimise TV watching (sometimes 1-2 hours daily or most days no TV at all!).
Occasionally watch blu-ray movies but NOT daily.

Should I still have faith stick with OLED or give up OLED already?
Viper0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Master Member

This is why I stick to Sony TVs.

Avoid all Kimchi Brands.
Viper0402 and cherryboom like this.
Knightoftheblackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #3

same here, but mine is sony bought in 2017. only switch on few hours each night. screen all dark and flickering. nowadays tv not as reliable as last time
dualiap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #4

same here, but mine is sony bought in 2017. only switch on few hours each night. screen all dark and flickering. nowadays tv not as reliable as last time
OLED ?
If yes, that's even WORSE!
Old 18-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #5

Considering Panasonic OLED TV - TH-55FZ950S now...
Old 18-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

Actually not about brand la, is about electrical appliances this days. None last 7-8 years like old tv anymore.
Viper0402 likes this.
Jo1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

But to be honest, if OLED I rather you go for Sony OLED.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-2019-shootout

Considering Panasonic OLED TV - TH-55FZ950S now...
Viper0402 likes this.
Jo1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Master Member

My LG OLED TV 55EG910T bought in early June 2016, screen just went dark, can hear TV channel, see some movement but all dark on screen.

As OLED, we minimise TV watching (sometimes 1-2 hours daily or most days no TV at all!).

.. i use my tv sometime 3-4hrs per weekday, 6-7hrs per weekend day.

lucky i bo use OLED.
Viper0402 likes this.
produde1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

Pple should really only get oled if they are into solid picture quality, use 4k uhd blurays etc. Even streaming not worth the premium for oled.

The risks for oled still there
finclk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #10

His issue was not an OLED screen issue. It's a machine failure. Nothing wrong with OLEDs in terms of relative reliability of the tech, they are just more susceptible to burn in, not failure.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...tup-42019.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
Master Member

my mini OLED still works

too poor to buy oled tv

produde1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

My LG 47LS5700 smart LED tv is still working well... think I've had it for 6 or 7 yrs le...

Old 18-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #13

First of all, your TV is a the lowest end OLED TV out of all. A 1080p OLED TV to add to that.

But if you say the TV went dark, it should not all fail at once though. It should be some of the OLED pixels be darker than the other or the colour looks different due to it being organic. But darkening sounds like a case of a power issue where the panel is not receiving enough power and thus, cannot display the images bright enough.

You can get a second opinion with the LG Technician but not get it serviced but to confirm what went wrong. But it looks to me like a power supply issue. Or motherboards. The 2 most problematic electronics that can fail in many products including your washing machine where the motherboard inside may fail.

Either way, avoid buying low end junk. And then blaming like as if the normal to high end ones will die too.

It is like someone buying a very badly binned chipset for a CPU that will go into the lowest of the low end CPU of that generation Intel i3 or even worst, the chips are so bad, they had to be inside a CPU called the Pentium line. You will know those are the worst chips to ever come out of the factory. Thus they had to create an even lower end line than the i3.

So similarly here, these panels of a no longer created 1080p OLED TVs should tell you just about how bottom of the barrel these OLED panels really are.

If you want assurance, get a TV by Sony, Panasonic or whichever gives the longest warranty with their assurance. Even a second hand High end model of a TV will be a safer bet as most of the components inside are much more durable.
These are some ways to get better models that you know you can have assurance with.

On a side note, I would not care to follow the 2019 TV Shootout. That is organized in the US. And there is literally like 3 TV brands only.

LG, Samsung and the other 2 are Sony TVs. No Panasonic or any other brands. So forget it.

Sony's TV seems to be the most accurate to the reference TV used by Hollywood movie creators but the problem is, Sony's A9G OLED TV costs $7999 in Singapore! And that is for the 55" model! ALL the other 55" OLED TVs are way lower than the ridiculous price of Sony's TVs. Panasonic's is literally 1/4 of that price. LG's is around 1/3.

Samsung... The reason why I stayed away from Samsung is because they just added 1 layer on top of the 7-8 layers a traditional LCD panel has and charges it WAY above an OLED TV pricing. Pui! Your 1 special panel is not worth that much. Quantum Dot display. But... Samsung calibrates them to be so dark in the dark that stars go missing and make the bright scenes go too bright that the colour pops out too much.
Sony's LCD 4K TV used in the Shootout follows the reference TV quite well as well. Even though it does not have that Quantum Dot layering in its TVs. And that is what matters.

In Europe though, for the past few years, Panasonic TVs are the ones that beat Sony's TVs and they are 1/4 off the Sony TVs. So if it were me, I'd consider the Panasonic TVs as well. But of cos, take into consideration if it has all the features you need as well.
But take note, Panasonic can price their TVs slightly lower because they used to use the previous year's LG OLED panels.
That means Panasonic's 2018 TVs uses LG's 2017 panels that were used in the C7 for example and not LG's newest 2018 panels found on their C8.
But honestly, the 2017 and 2018 panels were not that much different. So it's all fine.

In your case, again, assurances are your top priority. Follow by features. And you don't have to worry about low end OLED TVs. As they are no longer making one such as the 1080p TVs any longer. So that should help put your worry of any OLED issues to rest.

I am the opposite of your case and my TV is used heavily. To the point that my TV is usually a few hundred hours away from the RTINGS OLED test. Mine follows their C7 TV though. But they have TV up to 5 years old. All their TVs did not face any degradation in brightness like yours did though.
But for that assurance, maybe you can by OLED TVs of the same series and model. Meaning if they used a C6, then you know the C series of TVs can last. So buy the C9 TVs from LG that kind of thing.
Viper0402 and eric_wong6599 like this.
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 09:55 PM   #14

Should be getting the Panasonic TH-55FZ950S by this week.
Old 18-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #15

The new LG C9 has the Apple TV app...
Viper0402 likes this.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...tup-42019.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.