HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Overseas Netflix with VPN

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Overseas Netflix with VPN

I usually view netflix via my Sony TVís app. But if i wish to use VPN to view oversea netflix then it becomes an issue.

I have run VPN on my phone & successfully viewed overseas netflix. But obviously the small screen is not enjoyable. The chromecast feature will not work for VPN as once the phone casts to the tv, netflix can detect no VPN installed on TV so the movie is no longer viewable.

I could install VPN on my router but thatís another story & i rather not go there.

Would connecting my Iphone 11 Pro Max to TVís hdmi port solve this issue? And will the resolution be okay or will it be screwed up? I understand connecting ipad to TV would result in lower res and 2 black portions on left & right of TV.

Its either that or connect my Macbook Pro to TV but of course more hassle since the MBP is bigger & Iíll have the power cables running around. TIA.

Last edited by derrickgoh; 15-05-2020 at 11:38 AM..
derrickgoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #2

So what is your question?

What is the difference between connecting your iPhone or MacBook, either which needs a cable anyway.

Easiest way is to set the VPN at ur router end then you won't need cables or face the hassle of having to plug something huge and bulky if that is your concern.
benqdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #3

You may like to consider a smart dns that can bypass/unblock Geo-restriction automatically.
Old 15-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #4

Which VPN do you use? I have tried this and it works

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connecti...Windows-10.htm
gutianleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Which VPN do you use? I have tried this and it works

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connecti...Windows-10.htm
Express VPN. It can unblock & i can view overseas netflix on my iphone.

Problem is screen very small. I want to view on my TV but once I chromecast i lose the VPN.
Old 16-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #6

I also have the same problem. And I also use Express VPN. I can see the movie on my Samsung Tab 10S with the VPN set to USA but can not cast it to my TV. I have tried connecting my Macbook Pro to the TCL 65P8S, but find that there is a big difference in screen sizes between them, making the MacBook almost impossible to work with. Is setting the router to VPN to the US the only solution? I too really want to avoid that. I have set the DNS on my router to Cloudflare (9.9.9.9). Would Google (8.8.8.8) work better?

Thanks for any idea.
unclkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 04:43 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

I also have the same problem. And I also use Express VPN. I can see the movie on my Samsung Tab 10S with the VPN set to USA but can not cast it to my TV. I have tried connecting my Macbook Pro to the TCL 65P8S, but find that there is a big difference in screen sizes between them, making the MacBook almost impossible to work with. Is setting the router to VPN to the US the only solution? I too really want to avoid that. I have set the DNS on my router to Cloudflare (9.9.9.9). Would Google (8.8.8.8) work better?

Thanks for any idea.
Since when 9.9.9.9 DNS is from cloudflare? Lol cloudflare DNS is 1.1.1.1 whereas 9.9.9.9 DNS is from Quad9.
Old 17-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for any idea.
Oh so macbook to tv the resolution goes out of whack? Sigh! Thatís what i was worried off.
Old 17-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #9

Thanks for any idea.
Donít tcl tv have AppStore? I use windscribe tv app (only WiFi, Lan not supported) and vpn from the tv p8m

Last edited by chaiscool; 17-05-2020 at 12:31 PM..
chaiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #10

Donít tcl tv have AppStore? I use windscribe tv app (only WiFi, Lan not supported) and vpn from the tv p8m

Thx. I have tried the Google Play, cannot find windscribe. Shall try again.
unclkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.