HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sharp LC80LE940X vs. Panasonic TH-P65VT60K vs. Samsung UA75F6400AM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Sharp LC80LE940X vs. Panasonic TH-P65VT60K vs. Samsung UA75F8000AK

Been reading a bit about the sets and am trying to decide between the three.

For the Panasonic, the main benefit is it's a plasma screen, so picture quality will be better. On the downside, it's going out of production, so warranty, spare parts, replacement etc. is a potential issue.

For Sharp, the size is it's main selling point. Picture quality looks pretty good too. The panel is made in Japan, which is always a good thing. Based on reviews, the firmware and Smart TV features are quite pathetic. The Smart features are not so important to me, so I don't mind that.

For Samsung, not as big as the Sharp, but bigger than the Panasonic. The picture quality looks great, better than the Sharp, but I was told that it is because it's a glossy screen. Sharp's is matte. It supposedly has alot of white noise though.

LG's not a factor as their largest non-Ultra HD TV is 65".

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited by magneto23; 05-12-2013 at 02:15 PM..
magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Where do u plan to use the tv? Hall? Then Samsung is the better option cos plasma is comparatively dim. If you have a darkroom/bedroom with blackouts the Panny is better. The Panny has reflective screen as well so you wont enjoy it as much if you need to place next to window. In bright stores you would notice the Panny looks washed out. If electricity consumption is a factor, being plasma the panny would consume 500w-600W and lotsa heat. LED TV maybe 100W or so? So if your TV usage is high like if you have old folks at home, the differences are significant. I don't know much about Sharp but their colors don't appear as vibrant? Not so good 3D? Goodluck on your hunt and keep us updated of your choice.
Zanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Where do u plan to use the tv? Hall? Then Samsung is the better option cos plasma is comparatively dim. If you have a darkroom/bedroom with blackouts the Panny is better. The Panny has reflective screen as well so you wont enjoy it as much if you need to place next to window. In bright stores you would notice the Panny looks washed out. If electricity consumption is a factor, being plasma the panny would consume 500w-600W and lotsa heat. LED TV maybe 100W or so? So if your TV usage is high like if you have old folks at home, the differences are significant. I don't know much about Sharp but their colors don't appear as vibrant? Not so good 3D? Goodluck on your hunt and keep us updated of your choice.
Thanks for your feedback. Am planning to place it in the hall. It is next to the balcony. My main priorities are size and picture quality. Trying to find the right balance between the two.

You're right about the Sharp's colours. In the store the Samsung's colour rendition was much, much better, which the sales guy put down to the glossy screen. I don't know how far this is true. The reflective screen will be an issue though, unless I draw the curtains.

Having read the forum pages on AVSForum and lcdtvbuyingguide.com, they seem to be raving about the Samsung's picture quality. Supposedly better for gaming as well, which is important for me.

Am still doing my research, will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by magneto23; 05-12-2013 at 04:38 PM..
magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.