HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Like Tree13Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #181

The SCV wall cable still has analog channels. Your TV also can tune to analog channels. So it's probable that u are tuning to analog channels.
okay and since i have bought this new tv which has in built dvb t2 tuner, how do i then take advantage of the t2 channels?
Old 30-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #182
Honorary Member

okay and since i have bought this new tv which has in built dvb t2 tuner, how do i then take advantage of the t2 channels?
Connect to the rooftop antenna, or buy an indoor antenna, or build a DIY antenna.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Old 30-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #183
Master Member

Connect to the rooftop antenna, or buy an indoor antenna, or build a DIY antenna.
Just curious. Currently if using an indoor antenna for DVB-T2, is it guaranteed to produce crystal clear images? Or still a largely hit-and-miss affair depending on location, antenna orientation, antenna quality, and some other factors?

I still remember bad old days of analog indoor antennas giving fuzzy and grainy images. For digital signal, I believe it's is either we get a perfect image on the screen or nothing at all?
Old 30-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #184
Honorary Member

Just curious. Currently if using an indoor antenna for DVB-T2, is it guaranteed to produce crystal clear images? Or still a largely hit-and-miss affair depending on location, antenna orientation, antenna quality, and some other factors?

I still remember bad old days of analog indoor antennas giving fuzzy and grainy images. For digital signal, I believe it's is either we get a perfect image on the screen or nothing at all?
Not guaranteed. It depends on your location, antenna orientation.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Old 30-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #185

Thanks. Realized the freaking wall socket rooftop antenna point was the problem. When i tap it onto a fan metal grill, was able to pick up some digital signals although there seemed to be a mix bag of both scv digital and mediacorp sd channels. Have yet to widen the tuning scope. I might just get an indoor antenna. Maybe a none powered one if such exists.
Old 30-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #186
Master Member

This is the reply from MediaCorp when I enquired on the channels to be used for the new dvb-t2 transmission, to prepare our condo's matv for the new format:

All our 7 MediaCorpís channel will be available on 3 frequencies during the Digital Switch On. The three frequencies are Ch27 (518 to 526MHz), Ch29 (534 to 542MHz) and Ch31 (550 to 558MHz).
Now I see a sudden burst of interest in the new transmission format.

For those using hdb wall outlets, and private properties (landed or older condos) with own antennae, if your tv sets can receive on analogue

U (chan28)
Octo (chan 30)
CNA (chan 32)

there is a high probability that you can receive the new T2 channels if your tv sets are T2 ready.

However, for some hdb blocks, these stated channels may have been changed to another channels (just like scv channels) because of technical limitation - if this is the case then there may be no reception.

The matv in my condo caters to the 3 channels stated above plus tv3 (chan 26). I could received T test transmission on chan 29 previously. I am confident that my condo can receive all the new 3 channels (yet to be verified).
Old 30-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #187

Anyone try roof top antena can receive digital signal with T2 TV tuner ?
Old 30-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #188

Anyone try roof top antena can receive digital signal with T2 TV tuner ?
i just tried on the rooftop antenna. Yes. It works at my mums old flat. Can see the HD already. Also detected others like starworld, geographic, etc.. but blank! what happen for those new flats like mine without rooftop antenna but with just scv wall cables?
Old 30-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #189
Master Member

i just tried on the rooftop antenna. Yes. It works at my mums old flat. Can see the HD already. Also detected others like starworld, geographic, etc.. but blank! what happen for those new flats like mine without rooftop antenna but with just scv wall cables?
Haha, old is good, new is bad.
Old 30-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #190

Haha, old is good, new is bad.
Thats what i just dont understand.In general,all flats, new and old,have scv cable wall sockets readily installed in living room,and the new flats, in bedrooms as well. Why cant MDA then just turn the scv wall cable channels to HD? Isnt that better so that theres no need for new flat owners(with no rooftop antennas) to buy additional antenna to receive DVB T2?

Last edited by stamina; 30-11-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Old 30-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #191
Master Member

... When i tap it onto a fan metal grill... I might just get an indoor antenna. Maybe a none powered one if such exists.
Avoid using the fan metal grille, or for that matter, any electrical parts of electrical appliances. If the appliance turns faulty, the metal part may become live.

And yes, indoor antennae are available. There will be a rush for them now.
Old 30-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #192

i tried. Its HD clear. My dvb t2 tv detects both the grainy rooftop old channels between presets 1 to 10, and the Digital T2 channel presets from 800 to 900.
Old 30-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #193

I go buy sony bravia W series now.
buy lg lah for cleaner interface and value. Ips panel also good. Sony, expensive but just a little better in picture quality.
Old 30-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #194
Master Member

Thats what i just dont understand.In general,all flats, new and old,have scv cable wall sockets readily installed in living room,and the new flats, in bedrooms as well. Why cant MDA then just turn the scv wall cable channels to HD? Isnt that better so that theres no need for new flat owners(with no rooftop antennas) to buy additional antenna to receive DVB T2?
I have my $2 but won't put it here...there is no value add..I would suggest such idea or discussion is best done elsewhere in more appropriate forums.
Old 30-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #195

buy lg lah for cleaner interface and value. Ips panel also good. Sony, expensive but just a little better in picture quality.
folks i really think he is an LG promoter. better take what he says with a lot of salt.

Last edited by congster2; 30-11-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.