www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   The House of Displays (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/)
-   -   Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/singapore-digital-tv-discussion-thread-all-related-talk-please-post-here-4152007.html)

cheong79 02-12-2013 01:24 PM

I just bought a DVB-T2 TV for these launching of digital broadcasting event. But my new bravia 32W674A couldn't receive any sh!t of the channel.

I stay in tampines old estate flat 5th floor. No wall old antenna to try as it has been removed.

Soul77 02-12-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uraku Asia (Post 81608689)
I suspect your DVB-T2 Set top box is older version ( v.1.1.1 or v.1.2.1). To receive local DVB-T2 channels, your DVB-T2 set top box must support v.1.3.1 .

Previously i bought one DVB-T2 V1.2.1, now it can't receive any DVB-T2 Channel. Recently i get a new DVB-T2 v1.3.1 SetTopBox (designed by local company),i can receive all the DVB-T2 & T channels in my reside area (Jurong East) via indoor antenna(No power required).

Be careful, when you buy a DVB-T2 receiver online.

How do you know your dvb-t2 is v1.2.1 or 1.3.1? Does it means all those existing ebay/aliexpress dvb-t2 not compatible with Singapore standard?

AnDyLe0 02-12-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 81609626)
Uraku Asia has given the explanation. Freeview HD is diffrent from our sg standard.

so confirm pctv nanostick t2 is not compatible?
wah... that day i nearly wan to buy one... luckily didn't.
but if sg dvb-t2 is not compatible with other countries' then that's really bad... at least should support basic features of other dvb-t2 system.
btw... can be due to coverage too... read from some site that the rollout is not full coverage.

Kiwi8 02-12-2013 02:46 PM

Ok that's it! I'm gonna send an email directly to dvb.org to ask them about the DVB-T2 standards. :o

Uraku Asia 02-12-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul77 (Post 81610760)
How do you know your dvb-t2 is v1.2.1 or 1.3.1? Does it means all those existing ebay/aliexpress dvb-t2 not compatible with Singapore standard?

I just check for the demodulator or refer to your DVB-T2 set top box manufacturer.

For existing ebay/aliexpress DVB-T2, I am not so sure. You may have to find out more detail from seller/manufacturer.

Soul77 02-12-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uraku Asia (Post 81612923)
I just check for the demodulator or refer to your DVB-T2 set top box manufacturer.

For existing ebay/aliexpress DVB-T2, I am not so sure. You may have to find out more detail from seller/manufacturer.

I see... then history repeat again. Always implement the newest... Like last time when implementing DVB-T, use h.264 when everybody else still using mpeg2

oselgan 02-12-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 81591986)
Is there any roof top antennae in your block. Did you plug in to the wall outlet socket? You won't get good analogue reception from indoor antenna.

There is no rooftop antenna in my unit. I have managed to scan successfully for SD mediacorp channels, but not HD mediacorp channels (think starhub has not yet relay the HD signal via their SCV wall outlet) via the SCV antenna wall outlet using my Samsung series 7 LED TV.
I need to know for the issue of being not able to tune in the HD & SD channels using my DVB-T2 TV and my cheapo indoor antenna. How to know if it is the antenna related issue? I would not guess it is the built-in DVB-T2 tuner issue as my TV is the new 2013 model from Samsung. Anyone has a better indoor antenna to recommend sure work? My cheapo indoor antenna is a passive one - meaning juz coaxial cable connected to the metal frame type bought from the neighbourhood HW shop.

NY__chickenpie 02-12-2013 05:28 PM

U have to get a dvb antenna, or DIY urself. Not very difficult, need some wires and connectors.

SilveR1_09 02-12-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oselgan (Post 81614626)
There is no rooftop antenna in my unit. I have managed to scan successfully for SD mediacorp channels, but not HD mediacorp channels (think starhub has not yet rely the HD signal via their SCV wall outlet) via the SCV antenna wall outlet using my Samsung series 7 LED TV.

The SCV wall socket carries 2 types of signals as it is now.
  • Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
    - Viewable with TVs that has analog tuner
  • Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals. An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage for StarHub & SingTel at a later date as it needs to be tested. I assume this is for SH & ST carrying Channel 8, Suria & Vasa in HD as well on their system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oselgan (Post 81614626)
I need to know for the issue of being not able to tune in the HD & SD channels using my DVB-T2 TV and my cheapo indoor antenna. How to know if it is the antenna related issue? I would not guess it is the built-in DVB-T2 tuner issue as my TV is the new 2013 model from Samsung. Anyone has a better indoor antenna to recommend sure work? My cheapo indoor antenna is a passive one - meaning juz coaxial cable connected to the metal frame type bought from the neighbourhood HW shop.

It's tough to recommend and say it will ''sure work''. Depends on lots of factors such as your floor height. Whether the signals are present in your house at an acceptable threshold. I do know Sengkang is 1 of the repeater sites for DVB-T2. But I do not know the exact location of the repeater.

chakuman 02-12-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by congster2 (Post 81569762)
Used the most primitive method:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...ds/image-9.jpg

HD8:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...s/image-10.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...ds/image-8.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...ds/image-7.jpg

So far just looks like upscaled stuff, not too different from the upscaled (1080i) version of the normal SD channel via scv.

Can tell this is upscaled. Was waiting for them because they said the MediaCorp HD channels will be ready by Dec 2013... And we are now at Dec 2013.

chuppachop 02-12-2013 06:14 PM

At 10pm on Ch 8 (HD) when the News program is on-air, can someone confirm it's in True HD (not upscaled) similar to the HD5 news program at 9:30pm?

AnDyLe0 02-12-2013 08:05 PM

is Channel 8(HD) started already?
today i just saw HD5 renamed as 5(HD) already... just as what i've guessed... they are going to use 5(SD) and 5(HD) no more HD5 or HD8.
the upper right corner logo shows 5 logo with a small "HD" below and no more animation effect... now cannot know whether the show is presented in "True HD" or "True HD with 5.1 Surround" (prev it was shown during animation).

actually most of ch8 progs already in widescreen... so if 8(HD) starts... most mediacorp productions should be True HD already.
normally can differentiate from the subtitle fonts... 5(HD) subtitles are clear and sharp while 5(SD) subtitles are fat and blur.

chakuman 02-12-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnDyLe0 (Post 81620391)
is Channel 8(HD) started already?
today i just saw HD5 renamed as 5(HD) already... just as what i've guessed... they are going to use 5(SD) and 5(HD) no more HD5 or HD8.
the upper right corner logo shows 5 logo with a small "HD" below and no more animation effect... now cannot know whether the show is presented in "True HD" or "True HD with 5.1 Surround" (prev it was shown during animation).

actually most of ch8 progs already in widescreen... so if 8(HD) starts... most mediacorp productions should be True HD already.
normally can differentiate from the subtitle fonts... 5(HD) subtitles are clear and sharp while 5(SD) subtitles are fat and blur.

Yup. I noticed the Channel 5 logo has changed too. Can anybody screenshot Channel 8 HD later on? The 9pm drama and 10pm news.

andmic04 02-12-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 81608470)
100% signal strength for dvb-t as seen from your tv set or from the set top box?

100% signal for ch38 @610Mhz. But not for e other ch. Btw, i am using e diy antenna

oselgan 02-12-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilveR1_09 (Post 81616557)
The SCV wall socket carries 2 types of signals as it is now.
  • Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
    - Viewable with TVs that has analog tuner
  • Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals. An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage for StarHub & SingTel at a later date as it needs to be tested. I assume this is for SH & ST carrying Channel 8, Suria & Vasa in HD as well on their system.

My Samsung Series 7 TV does support both DVB-T2 & C format. I am able to get MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels via the HDB SCV antenna wall socket, but not HD5? Should I call Starhub or my town council to seek for their help to see if can get the HD5? As for the indoor antenna, does an active UHF indoor antenna help?