www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   The House of Displays (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/)
-   -   Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/singapore-digital-tv-discussion-thread-all-related-talk-please-post-here-4152007.html)

mrsun18 09-04-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suangern (Post 75351166)
When you're watching under Ch 29, there is a scrolling text telling you to tune into Ch 38.

Old: Ch 29 (now left with black screen liao)
New: Ch 38

Thanks for helping, but you misunderstood me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 75034546)
...
I wrote to MediaCorp in Jan this year to find out on which chan/frequency they will be trasmitting the new signals...

New signals means dvb-t2 signals to be transmitted from end of the year, not existing dvb-t signals.

petetherock 11-04-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY__chickenpie (Post 75347321)
Is there any decoders for DVB-T2 available now?

Everything is in flux now, it is better to wait until the dust settles nearer the end of 2013.

Soul77 12-04-2013 09:18 AM

look for this logo (that's if you can find it anyway)
http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital...es/Digital.jpg

http://www.mda.gov.sg/Public/Digital.../DigitalSS.jpg

Digital Broadcasting Roadmap

lego666 13-04-2013 02:55 PM

Am noob to all these, hope can get some layman guidance.

Was intending to install 2 additional cable points to the 2 bedrooms SOON, as the old folks are shifting in and they need to watch free channels.

If I read correctly here, cable point would be incapable to view free-to-air channels in time to come, unless I have a starhub set top box?

I also read abt antennas and dvb t, how would the sequence of transmission be like? antenna receives signal and transmit to dvb t then to TV hdmi port? Confused...

Also, what would happen to starhub paid TV? I would think starhub paid TV would still be running on cable point in the foreseeable future?

NY__chickenpie 18-04-2013 06:18 AM

MDA should upgrade all HDB to receive DVB-T2 on the rooftop antenna. imagine 21 century still have 19th century antenna.

Just Me 18-04-2013 01:57 PM

Seems like still quite a number of gung-ho supporters for our local mediacrap content. The only good thing is that they don't charge tv license fees for that junk anymore :D

Kiwi8 18-04-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

MediaCorp Digital TV - Technical Guides

Changes to MediaCorp digital channels in DVB-T platform

To facilitate the eventual rollout of DVB-T2 in December 2013, there is a need to change the transmission signal in the DVB-T platform on UHF Channel 29 (538MHz). As the change will take effect from 12 March 2013, DVB-T users will need to retune their digital set-top box to UHF Channel 38 (610MHz) with immediate effect to continue watching the digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia. HD5 and the rest of the channels broadcast in analogue are not affected. MediaCorp digital channels will no longer be available in DVB-T platform once the DVB-T2 deployments are in place.

From 16 April 2013 onwards

The digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia are transmitting on Channel 29 (538MHz) from 7pm to 11pm
The digital channel of Channel 5, 8, Channel NewsAsia and HD5 are transmitting on Channel 38 (610MHz) as per programme schedule.

From 23 April 2013 onwards

The digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia will no longer be available on Channel 29 (538MHz)
The digital channel of Channel 5, 8, Channel NewsAsia and HD5 are transmitting on Channel 38 (610MHz) as per programme schedule.


:s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12::s12:

mrsun18 18-04-2013 08:53 PM

@Kiwi8

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

MediaCorp Digital TV - Technical Guides

Changes to MediaCorp digital channels in DVB-T platform

To facilitate the eventual rollout of DVB-T2 in December 2013, there is a need to change the transmission signal in the DVB-T platform on UHF Channel 29 (538MHz). As the change will take effect from 12 March 2013, DVB-T users will need to retune their digital set-top box to UHF Channel 38 (610MHz) with immediate effect to continue watching the digital channels of Channel 5, 8 and Channel NewsAsia. HD5 and the rest of the channels broadcast in analogue are not affected. MediaCorp digital channels will no longer be available in DVB-T platform once the DVB-T2 deployments are in place.
Implications: all current tv sets with dvb-t tuners and dvb-t set-top box/card will be useless for the new platform.

Either buy the new dvb-t2 set-top box/card or change to a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner to continue watching digital channels.

touchme 18-04-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 75598366)
@Kiwi8

Thanks for sharing.



Implications: all current tv sets with dvb-t tuners and dvb-t set-top box/card will be useless for the new platform.

Either buy the new dvb-t2 set-top box/card or change to a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner to continue watching digital channels.

Means those current dm boxes can't be used anymore?

Kiwi8 18-04-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsun18 (Post 75598366)
@Kiwi8

Thanks for sharing.



Implications: all current tv sets with dvb-t tuners and dvb-t set-top box/card will be useless for the new platform.

Either buy the new dvb-t2 set-top box/card or change to a new tv with dvb-t2 tuner to continue watching digital channels.

I actually wanted to comment, why I got black for signals on 538Mhz from time to time... technical guide explained that clearly that it's from 7pm to 11pm only. Anyway it's going to end on 23 April 2013, after which the only DVB-T channels receivable will be the ones on 610Mhz.

tan1688 18-04-2013 10:15 PM

DVB-T2 receivers e.g Humax Fox Pro T2 is quite expensive about 150pounds.
The DVB-T2 tuners are called freeview receivers at UK.

I doubt DVB-T2 will take off in singapore the receivers are
very expensive. Humax DVB-T2 are based on Broadcom chipsets,
though a new single all in one chipset with integrated tuner is available recently.
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12

probably a nation wide set top box is being planned
at $60-$100 see media corp faq point 9

weap0nx 19-04-2013 12:01 AM

Ok having read the discussion on frequency and antennas, here's my take,
perhaps the broadcast signal is too weak or perhaps the tolerance for attenuation is tighter on the DVB-T2 spec which means some antennas do not not cut it when it comes to amplification.

For analog if the signal is weak, you just get increasing noise and static. For digital if the signal is weak to a certain point, as good as no signal.

But technically it should be able to receive the transmission...

cscs3 19-04-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tan1688 (Post 75601049)
DVB-T2 receivers e.g Humax Fox Pro T2 is quite expensive about 150pounds.
The DVB-T2 tuners are called freeview receivers at UK.

I doubt DVB-T2 will take off in singapore the receivers are
very expensive. Humax DVB-T2 are based on Broadcom chipsets,
though a new single all in one chipset with integrated tuner is available recently.
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12

probably a nation wide set top box is being planned
at $60-$100 see media corp faq point 9

When technology is new. It is always expensive.
Just like early day of LCD TV!

sunsetbay 19-04-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tan1688 (Post 75601049)
DVB-T2 receivers e.g Humax Fox Pro T2 is quite expensive about 150pounds.
The DVB-T2 tuners are called freeview receivers at UK.

I doubt DVB-T2 will take off in singapore the receivers are
very expensive. Humax DVB-T2 are based on Broadcom chipsets,
though a new single all in one chipset with integrated tuner is available recently.
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12

probably a nation wide set top box is being planned
at $60-$100 see media corp faq point 9

there are many ebay sellers, selling much cheaper that tat~ S$60 can get liao~ :s22:

tan1688 19-04-2013 11:15 AM

to correct, the technology is not new, UK was using it back in 2010 it may be new to sg

those ebay $60 dollar dvb-t2 receivers have funny problems
hdmi output do not work, OSD in russian, no firmware updates
available, Standard definition supported only, HD not supported
though it says HD support,

the branded DVB-T2 recivers such as humax fox pro t2 have many features,
a) have two/three tuners which allows PVR recording of 1/2 other channels
whilst one is being watched with connection to USB harddrive,
b) 100Mbit/s/ ethernet port allows samba/cifs file sharing able to play direct
from other network user
c) wireless 802.11 capability through an additional wireless dongle on USB
d) optical digital output

something like a media player, like australian astone media players with dvb-t
receivers


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.