HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Like Tree13Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #76
Master Member

look for this logo (that's if you can find it anyway)

Digital Broadcasting Roadmap
... Humax DVB-T2 are based on Broadcom chipsets,
though a new single all in one chipset with integrated tuner is available recently.
40nm BCM3461 19Mar12
The sg technical specification for dvb-t2 Integrated Receiver Decorder has been revised (Mar 2013) - details available from link provided by moderator in post #3 of this thread.

Part of the changes involves:
§ 5 of Part A of the TS DVB-T2 IRD specifies that the frontend/tuner shall comply with the Layer 1 (“L1”) signalling requirements of the DVB-T2 baseline system defined in the ETSI EN 302 755 V1.3.1, which includes a feature for scrambling of the L1 data...this version of the DVB-T2 L1 signalling which has only been released by ETSI in April 2012...

Source: http://www.mda.gov.sg/Reports/Consul...VBT2%20IRD.pdf (also available from link provided in post #3)
To satisfy the requirement of the revised spec, we probably need chips newer than the BCM3461 which was officially announced on 19 Mar 2012.

If MediaCorp choose to implement this feature for power efficiency and other purposes to scrambling of L1 data, perhaps current dvb-t2 decoder may not work.

The following gives an idea of how soon equipment with certification to local standard (as shown in the logos above) will be available :
EFFECTIVE DATE OF EQUIPMENT CONFORMANCE WITH TS DVB-T2 IRD

To address manufacturers’ concern on the implementation timeline for equipment conformity to the TS DVB-T2 IRD, IDA will defer the effective date for enforcement from 1 April 13 to 1 November 13 while equipment registration of DVB-T2 IRDs/receivers with IDA may proceed after 1 April 2013.

Source: http://www.mda.gov.sg/Reports/Consul...VBT2%20IRD.pdf
Buyers obtaining such decoders from online sources such as ebay may have to be prepared for disappointment.

Last edited by mrsun18; 19-04-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Old 19-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #77
Master Member

Ok having read the discussion on frequency and antennas, here's my take,
perhaps the broadcast signal is too weak or perhaps the tolerance for attenuation is tighter on the DVB-T2 spec which means some antennas do not not cut it when it comes to amplification.

Both local available signal and design of tv antennae, plus other factors, do play their parts in the tv reception. But any antenna capable of receiving analogue tv will work just as well for dvb-t or dvb-t2 receiving transmission in the same channel.

Talking about tv antennae, there are Band I and III (VHF) and Band IV and V (UHF), each type designed to work their best in the designated bands. But there are some that do not work as claimed (as usual as in other products). I once had a Japanese made Band III antenna which did not give me chan 12 reception. On checking I realised Japan was on the ntsc system. Their chan 12 frequency band is about the same as our pal chan 11. That explained why it could not receive our local chan 12.

Edit: One more thing. Analogue tv needs minimum 60dB signal strength and shadow free signal. Digital tv only needs 48dB and the signal need not be so clean as the digital format has built in feature to eliminate ghost. Overall digital tv is more tolerant of signal qualities.

Last edited by mrsun18; 19-04-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Old 19-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #78
High Supremacy Member

Ok... I have been googling around and still can't find an answer... Hope can find here...

You see, I bought a new SMART TV last Friday, and I forgot 1 important factor I should look out for - FULL HD.

I bought a Toshiba 32PX200E for $488 at the Audio House (they were having their 32nd Anniversary Sale, and since sg is going digital, forcing us to buy digital tvs, and I am doing a major makeover for my room, so I grabbed the chance to buy a new tv)

But after googling, i realized that my tv is HD Ready, not a full HD. And my brother helped test my tv, nothing that unlike the tv in his room, mine cannot switch to HD Channel (though he consoled me by saying that at least my screen display is better than his on analog channel)

Googling taught be only the diferences between both tvs, but never really tell me whether can HD Ready tv watch HD Channels. Some results say that HD Ready TVs can watch HD, just that they will be adjusted to the resolution the tv screen is capable of.

And hearing my brother comment that I cannot watch HD channel on my tv, I am becoming skeptical.

So does this mean my tv cannot watch tv channels when Singapore becomes full digital? Do I have to fork out another few hundred just to buy the DV Setup Box thingee in order to watch Digital signalled channels on this TV?

Sorry ah been living in CRT age for decades cos I poor... So yeah... 1st time being an LED tv owner... +_+
Old 19-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #79
Master Member

@eeLsinneD

What I found from the Toshiba website about your tv set is that it has no digital tuner! That's the reason why you are unable to tune to the digital channels, even if your wall socket or own antenna has the digital signal.

Not to worry as you can buy the new set top box to watch digital tv, in the coming new format - dvb-t2 when they are available. At least you didn't waste money on the present dvb-t tuner which would be obsolete come end of the year when the new dvb-t2 format takes over.

"Full HD" or "HD ready" are just part of tv set's native resolution. It has nothing to do with the tv programme's hd format. Any digital tv programme broadcast in full hd will still be displayed on your 1366 x 768 screen, when you have the necessary tuner.
eeLsinneD likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #80
High Supremacy Member

@eeLsinneD

What I found from the Toshiba website about your tv set is that it has no digital tuner! That's the reason why you are unable to tune to the digital channels, even if your wall socket or own antenna has the digital signal.

Not to worry as you can buy the new set top box to watch digital tv, in the coming new format - dvb-t2 when they are available. At least you didn't waste money on the present dvb-t tuner which would be obsolete come end of the year when the new dvb-t2 format takes over.

"Full HD" or "HD ready" are just part of tv set's native resolution. It has nothing to do with the tv programme's hd format. Any digital tv programme broadcast in full hd will still be displayed on your 1366 x 768 screen, when you have the necessary tuner.
Thanks alot!
So all I'll have to do is buy myself a digital tuner, huh?

By the way does the tuner work on CRT tvs? If not will have to spend money get a new tv for the living room... =/
Old 19-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #81

eeLsinneD

You should browse through the stickies. It is very beneficial for newbies like you to Hi Def

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 19-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #82
Master Member

Thanks alot!
So all I'll have to do is buy myself a digital tuner, huh?
Yes, provided your wall plate has the digital signal or own antenna can receive the digital channels. The precise channels still not revealed.

By the way does the tuner work on CRT tvs? If not will have to spend money get a new tv for the living room... =/
Yes, but you have to watch out for the connections between the two. Most likely there will be hdmi output from the tuner, but you crt don't have hdmi terminal. As for composite/componet output, have to wait and see when the product is available.
Old 19-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #83
High Supremacy Member

Yes, provided your wall plate has the digital signal or own antenna can receive the digital channels. The precise channels still not revealed.

Yes, but you have to watch out for the connections between the two. Most likely there will be hdmi output from the tuner, but you crt don't have hdmi terminal. As for composite/componet output, have to wait and see when the product is available.
Thanks alot~!
I appreciate your informative replies and the fact you went through the trouble to google about my TV model. =)
Old 20-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #84
Master Member

Thanks alot~!
I appreciate your informative replies and the fact you went through the trouble to google about my TV model. =)
You are most welcome. I understand the difficulties one faces when trying to google for unfamiliar info when even the search term is not certain. Nonetheless, you have included sufficient details in your query for a quick advice.
Old 20-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #85
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok... I have been googling around and still can't find an answer... Hope can find here...

You see, I bought a new SMART TV last Friday, and I forgot 1 important factor I should look out for - FULL HD.

I bought a Toshiba 32PX200E for $488 at the Audio House (they were having their 32nd Anniversary Sale, and since sg is going digital, forcing us to buy digital tvs, and I am doing a major makeover for my room, so I grabbed the chance to buy a new tv)

But after googling, i realized that my tv is HD Ready, not a full HD. And my brother helped test my tv, nothing that unlike the tv in his room, mine cannot switch to HD Channel (though he consoled me by saying that at least my screen display is better than his on analog channel)

Googling taught be only the diferences between both tvs, but never really tell me whether can HD Ready tv watch HD Channels. Some results say that HD Ready TVs can watch HD, just that they will be adjusted to the resolution the tv screen is capable of.

And hearing my brother comment that I cannot watch HD channel on my tv, I am becoming skeptical.

So does this mean my tv cannot watch tv channels when Singapore becomes full digital? Do I have to fork out another few hundred just to buy the DV Setup Box thingee in order to watch Digital signalled channels on this TV?

Sorry ah been living in CRT age for decades cos I poor... So yeah... 1st time being an LED tv owner... +_+
Audio house is always a no no place to shop.
Webbyboy likes this.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #86

I am using Samsung Sync Master 2333HD to watch TV in my room, the Monitor has a DTV function but it always show no signal. Do I need a tuner?
Old 23-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #87
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am using Samsung Sync Master 2333HD to watch TV in my room, the Monitor has a DTV function but it always show no signal. Do I need a tuner?
u need a good antenna and but must depend whether the signal ish strong at ur place de....
Old 27-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #88

u need a good antenna and but must depend whether the signal ish strong at ur place de....
What kinda antenna do I need, I am now plugging in the antenna at the wall socket.
Old 27-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #89

What kinda antenna do I need, I am now plugging in the antenna at the wall socket.
The info is in this thread.
Read through it please.
Cheers

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #90
Honorary Member

Those of u who are tuning to DVB-T signals, wanna ask u something.

Did MediaCorp change the location of the transmitters recently?

I ask this, cos recently I had to relocate my DIY directional antenna to another sweet spot as the previous location suddenly failed to be the sweet spot.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the 2017 presidential election farce.

If you are signing up to giga mobile plan and need a referral code, you can use my referral code <Ym8UNG>.
Ends 26 Nov 2020. Not applicable to $18 popup plan.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.