HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Tcl tv can buy?

Like Tree73Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #826

Almost 1 week with the 65 P8S... so far i am happy for what it does for $888.

Good things no need say la... I just say some not so good things

- The bigger remote sometimes like lag. Somehow the smaller one is better
- Youtube and Netflix app when u start-up or exit, sometimes got a delay and it makes you press the remote more than once and then suddenly all the instructions come in the same time. Like how a slow PC is. But this happens once a while only, esp the 1st time you use the apps after overnight sleep.
- Some visible DSE (dirty screen effect) , that is normal even for a $1500-1700 LED TV.
- The vol btw Netflix , youtube and SCV box like not even. So it can get loud when u switch to other modes of viewing source.

Overall i really glad to hv this TV during this CB period. The price of $888 really cannot go wrong , hopefully it can last for a good 5 yrs or more la.
Bro where you buy for $888?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #827

Managed to install Kodi and play FHD and UHD with DTS/DTS-HD content via the external USB hard drive. All can play with sound but the image appear a lot darker, not as sharp, poor contrast and laggy. I suspect it is due to the low end 4 core processor and only 2G of RAM. When I play using the TV media player (I am quite sure it is native, not running in Android), FHD image is superb, and it recognises and decode HDR10 and Dolby Digital, it just cannot support DTS. It also make a mess on UHD content, the image will appear either stretched or flickering in the correct aspect ratio. I really hope TCL update the media player software for UHD content for the media player. Maybe someone can try to see if they face the same problem.

UHD content on Youtube and Netflix play really well. But again they on another compression algorithm and there were trade-off.
Well, I installed VLC and watch all the FHD, UHD HDR contents using that. No issues at all. You want to try that instead of the built-in media player?
Old 05-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #828
Master Member

Managed to install Kodi and play FHD and UHD with DTS/DTS-HD content via the external USB hard drive. All can play with sound but the image appear a lot darker, not as sharp, poor contrast and laggy. I suspect it is due to the low end 4 core processor and only 2G of RAM. When I play using the TV media player (I am quite sure it is native, not running in Android), FHD image is superb, and it recognises and decode HDR10 and Dolby Digital, it just cannot support DTS. It also make a mess on UHD content, the image will appear either stretched or flickering in the correct aspect ratio. I really hope TCL update the media player software for UHD content for the media player. Maybe someone can try to see if they face the same problem.

UHD content on Youtube and Netflix play really well. But again they on another compression algorithm and there were trade-off.
TV has brightness and contrast functions.
Kodi also has brightness and contrast functions, go try that.

I'm playing 8gb 4K videos in kodi, streaming from my desktop PC also never lag and aspect ratio all correct. Create windows share folder and the correct network path inside Kodi and I never had to use HDD, with thousands of movies in PC.

If u think so much problems with TV then get android box with 4gb ram and 64gb rom. It's cheap $60 to $80.

Last edited by Apex01; 05-05-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Old 05-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #829

Bro where you buy for $888?
Giant was selling at that price
Old 05-05-2020, 10:47 PM   #830

Call Alphavisions or Go to any Giant outlet and talk to TCL promoter if they have any idea when is the next shipment, leave your phone number with the promoter so they will call you once new shipment arrives.
Thanks

ya just went down and and left my contact, but seems the promoter also dunno when the stock will come
Old 06-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #831
Master Member

https://youtu.be/NXTnyakll5c

Old 06-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #832

Thanks

ya just went down and and left my contact, but seems the promoter also dunno when the stock will come
May I ask which outlet you went to?

Giant was selling at that price
Thanks for the reply
Old 06-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #833
Master Member

Giant Tampines, giant IMM, giant sembawang all have TCL promoter. Unless that day is their off day.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #834

Received my 55P8M 2 days ago. Tweaked with these settings:
Colour temp: Warm
Tint 47
Bright: 49
Contrast: 77
Colour Sat: 49
Black Level: 47
Gamma: 0

CLARITY (menu)
Sharpness; 50
Digital Noise Reduction OFF
Noise Reduction OFF

Motion: LED motion clear: Off
Micro dimming, Dynamic contrast, dynamic backlight all set to OFF

It was stunning. Initially it works with my google home for voice commands like turning tv off/on, search youtube etc(somehow netflix cant work via voice command idk why), but after i updated the all the apps at playstore, it stopped working. Like Google Home cant detect my TV, even though casting from my phone manually onto the TV still works.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #835

PSA: Just came back from Giant Tampines hypermart, no promoter on duty, no stock for 55" & 65".

Alpha visions say yesterday stock came in to Tampines Giant but by today all 40+ sets all sold out.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #836
Master Member

Cos the sets were already on reserve list and it delivered once they're paid and scheduled to deliver. Next few days u got to talk to promotor tell him to write ur name down. Or get a Giant staff to ask they have the promotor phone number.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #837

On 26th April i went to Tamp Giant, no stock. Gave my number to the CSO to reserve a set and was told will give me a call once stock comes in.

I placed an order directly with Alpha Visions at the same time, delivered to me 2 days ago.

Giant restocked but till today i havent received a call from them lol. $30 delivery fees for AV worth it.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #838
Arch-Supremacy Member

On 26th April i went to Tamp Giant, no stock. Gave my number to the CSO to reserve a set and was told will give me a call once stock comes in.

I placed an order directly with Alpha Visions at the same time, delivered to me 2 days ago.

Giant restocked but till today i havent received a call from them lol. $30 delivery fees for AV worth it.
What model did you purchase and what’s your mode of payment?
Old 06-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #839

55P8M, they told me got 1 more set left in warehouse so i'm lucky. Anyway get from them is faster than getting from Giant, just $30 extra for delivery.

COD.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #840

May I ask which outlet you went to?

Thanks for the reply
I went to tamp giant, but all no stock

Ya I suggest buy from AV direct, save time
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.