Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

TV antenna discussion thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #31

any what is the frequency of different channel
here~:

Old 28-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #32

from my experience living in a high level flat with no higher flats surrounding me and using indoor antenna using a crt 29 inch tv

1) different location in ur house will give u diff quality reception, ie, in my living room ch5 is super clear, but in my bedroom, channel 5 is fuzzy

2) different sides of the house also will give u diff quality reception ie : my dining + study faces the direction of malaysia, can get tv3, ntv7, rcti, sctv.. etc etc etc.. but in my living room which is facing teh opposite side, ie, south of singapore, i can only get local fTA channels

3) u need indoor antenna to get RTM tv2, rooftop / scv setup only give u tv1

4) the angle/position of the antenna needs to be micro tuned.. ie, shift a bit , shift a bit, to get best reception., no short cut to doing it.. booster doesnt work.. and how big an antenna would u want in ur house, poking out of ur window before it looks ugly or irritating?

5) sticking an antenna out of ur window is indeed technically a lightning hazard.. but of course, its all pure luck lah, our blocks all have lightning rods so u must be really suey to be hit by lightning this way anyway

the above also applied when i tried using a tv card on my pc

so as some bros here have said, its not the quality of antenna tat u buy, its teh positioning and angle of teh antenna tat is most important
Old 28-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

Best denki sell 2 models of analogue antenna frm Daiyo.
Price is $36 and $40. Looks good.
Check out simlim tower first before cashing in
Old 30-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #34

Guys does replacement the existing RG6 cable that HDB give with a better quality piece ,will it improve the image using the roof top antenna?
Or if i switch to starhub cable will it be better compare to the roof top 1's?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

bought the $40 Daiyo antenna from BD
but is no good
put near window, antenna fully extended and turn up the gain yet reception still poor or very poor for most channels. Except ch-U somehow is acceptable nia. Sianz.

Wonder why my old 14" sony tv with simple antenna can have much better reception.
Old 21-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #36

Cool VER2.0 DIY Antenna for Watching Singapore HD5, Digital 8, Indon Ch and much MORE!!

Hi all,

If you like the first Version of the antenna, you are going to like this. It's simpler and even better in Signal Acquisition then before.

**** WHAT''S NEW ****

This new antenna captures 15 Digital and HD Channels!!
- Digital 5, Digital CNA and much more.
- Bonus!!! Indonesia and Malaysia Analog Channels picked up as well, World Cup anyone?
- And it seems Media corp going to put out more HD Channels real soon, see test channel name and you will know what I mean.

The new enhancement to the home brew antenna, is shown at the end of this video presentation.

To build one..
STEP 1 : Follow this guide http://current.org/ptv/ptv0821make.pdf
STEP 2: Include the enhancement shown in my video.

Where to buy what :
1)Wires, Nuts and Screws try Home-Fix or Sim Lim Tower.
2)For Balun Transformer, please go to Sim Lim Tower 3rd or 4th Floor Audio / Mic Shop on the Right of Escalator. (Cant remember shop name)
3)Card Board or Backing, any Arts and Craft shop and asked for hardest and Thickest Card board (0.3cm thick)

*** If you like the Video, please give it a good rating and so i know i should work to enhance it further.
or do a video guide to build one.

Regards,
M_

See it Here if it doesn't load
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fc0xwEHkR0

Last edited by markasong1; 23-12-2009 at 02:42 AM..
Old 26-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #37

Hi, my LG LCD TV was able to capture all the FTA channels except TV1. Is it becos of my TV antenna cable or my location can't get the signal? : (
Old 26-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #38

Why the image is no good

There can be a few reasons:

The tuner built into different TVs is not the same. Some brands are better and they usually cost more - think Pioneer & Sony for example.

Location - this cannot be emphasised more.

The antenna plays the least but still important role.

Cable or MIO might be the only choice if all else fails.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
Old 26-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #39

Hi Petetherock

Some Noob Question here :

If media corp implement digital signal across Singapore

1) We can just plug into the LCD TV from the wall socket without using as MIO ot starhub box we will still receive good signal reception for LCD TV . Is it correct ?

2)If the LCD TV come with DVB T tuner will the reception signal be better than those TV without Tuner ?

3)Currently there is afew high end model have bulit in tuner like : DVB Terrestrial *, DVB-T MPEG4*, DVB-C MPEG4*, MHEG etc. If media corp have digital signal in singapore than will this feature be redundance ?

Thanks.
Old 26-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #40

For digital TV across Singapore - all I will say is Don't hold your breath. I don't see any improvement in our current dire situation be it with inbuilt tuners or otherwise for at least a year or more.

Old 27-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #41

For digital TV across Singapore - all I will say is Don't hold your breath. I don't see any improvement in our current dire situation be it with inbuilt tuners or otherwise for at least a year or more.
Thank for the reply. Understand that it may take a year or two for the implementation or improvement . Pls kindly answer the question or u can PM me . Really want to know this as i don`t want to spend on un neccessary feature which will redundant sooner or later. Here is the noob question again.

Presume media corp implement digital signal & improve consistantly across Singapore
1) We can just plug into the LCD TV from the wall socket without using as MIO ot starhub box we will still receive good signal reception for LCD TV . Is it correct ?

2)If the LCD TV come with DVB T tuner will the reception signal be better than those TV without Tuner ?

3)Currently there is afew high end model have bulit in tuner like : DVB Terrestrial *, DVB-T MPEG4*, DVB-C MPEG4*, MHEG etc. If media corp have digital signal in singapore than will this feature be redundance ?

Thanks.

Last edited by tmengyew; 27-12-2009 at 08:01 AM..
Old 27-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #42

Thats the whole point, the system implemented may be totally different from whatever is inbuilt into all the TVs.

And the tuner quality varies, so there is no guarantee that the model you have will work, or be better than the digital signal.

The answer to your theoretical question depends on signal strength. Just as in analogue TV some places have better reception, if the signal is not uniformly strong, the quality will still be poor.

I won't buy an existing set with a tuner just to plan for the future.

Really want to know this as i don`t want to spend on un neccessary feature which will redundant sooner or later.
So the only thing that will definely happen is that some models Will be redundant. Which ones? We don't know yet.

EDIT - there is no straight forward answer which is why it is quite frustrating. No direction from the authorities.

IMO, many of the models which work now should work later on, but I am not comfortable buying for the future which remains uncertain.

Last edited by petetherock; 27-12-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Old 27-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #43

Thats the whole point, the system implemented may be totally different from whatever is inbuilt into all the TVs.

And the tuner quality varies, so there is no guarantee that the model you have will work, or be better than the digital signal.

The answer to your theoretical question depends on signal strength. Just as in analogue TV some places have better reception, if the signal is not uniformly strong, the quality will still be poor.

I won't buy an existing set with a tuner just to plan for the future.

So the only thing that will definely happen is that some models Will be redundant. Which ones? We don't know yet.

EDIT - there is no straight forward answer which is why it is quite frustrating. No direction from the authorities.

IMO, many of the models which work now should work later on, but I am not comfortable buying for the future which remains uncertain.
Thanks for the advice. I guess now i will on hold my plan for buying a LCD TV with tuner.
If my CRT spolit will just buy a normalFull HD LCD TV will do.
Old 27-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #44

Red face

Hi all,

If you like the first Version of the antenna, you are going to like this. It's simpler and even better in Signal Acquisition then before.

**** WHAT''S NEW ****

This new antenna captures 15 Digital and HD Channels!!
- Digital 5, Digital CNA and much more.
- Bonus!!! Indonesia and Malaysia Analog Channels picked up as well, World Cup anyone?
- And it seems Media corp going to put out more HD Channels real soon, see test channel name and you will know what I mean.

The new enhancement to the home brew antenna, is shown at the end of this video presentation.

To build one..
STEP 1 : Follow this guide http://current.org/ptv/ptv0821make.pdf
STEP 2: Include the enhancement shown in my video.

Where to buy what :
1)Wires, Nuts and Screws try Home-Fix or Sim Lim Tower.
2)For Balun Transformer, please go to Sim Lim Tower 3rd or 4th Floor Audio / Mic Shop on the Right of Escalator. (Cant remember shop name)
3)Card Board or Backing, any Arts and Craft shop and asked for hardest and Thickest Card board (0.3cm thick)

*** If you like the Video, please give it a good rating and so i know i should work to enhance it further.
or do a video guide to build one.

Regards,
M_

See it Here if it doesn't load
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fc0xwEHkR0

Does your improvised TV antenna capture (and displays) digital channels when connected to LCD TV sets with normal non-digital tuners (like the Panasonic TH-L42S10S)?
Old 28-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #45

Hi AMD1800,

Unfortunately you can't for non-digital tuners, the TV needs to have DVB tuning Capability to Demux the Free to Air Digital Signals into 1080i Signals. Hence, for normal non-digital tuners TV. You will need to purchase a i.e. Draco Antenna and Tuner. Alternatively, you can subscribed to MIO or Starhub HD Services.

This video below is quite good in explaining HD Tuning and etc, same issue in USA and in SG. But please don't buy the no frils "AccessHD" shown below for SG as its output is only Composite and does not have Component, HDMI or 1080i resolution support. Just shown you the video for illustration purpose.

Additional Info : http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_wor...pore/index.xml

Fact Sheet on DVB Cable : http://www.dvb.org/technology/fact_s...Sheet.0409.pdf

Does your improvised TV antenna capture (and displays) digital channels when connected to LCD TV sets with normal non-digital tuners (like the Panasonic TH-L42S10S)?

Last edited by markasong1; 28-12-2009 at 12:50 AM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.