TV repair discussion thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

limtk55

Reaction score
Hi , wanna check if anyone experience this before, white spot/spots on tv screen.. Samsung..

any chance of repairing? cos Tv already more than 5 yrs old..

Thanks all.
Can advise the model of your TV? Will let u know once I have this info.

libertizer

Reaction score
My 4 years old Sharp TV refuse to turn on.
The LED indicator is in red, will turn green when pressing either the power on the tv or the remote. But it switch back to red within 2 second, and continue blink in red twice every 2 second.
What could be the problem?

limtk55

Reaction score
Pls take a hires picture of your TV when ON and highlight the bright spots pls.

limtk55

Reaction score
My 4 years old Sharp TV refuse to turn on.
The LED indicator is in red, will turn green when pressing either the power on the tv or the remote. But it switch back to red within 2 second, and continue blink in red twice every 2 second.
What could be the problem?
Could be a variety of issues including powerboard, mainboard or even firmware corrupt issue. Need to troubleshoot to confirm.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I don't know if it's a reliability issue or the intended planned obsolescence for LG TVs.

Having said that, my other two rooms, both model Sony Bravia series at 43 inch, still going strong. Coz the kids watch TV inside and my wife also prefer watching TV on the bedroom.
1 is from old house, coming 5 years already.
The other about the same age as my LG TV.

But like what our friend posted earlier, TV also need to maintain.. So i guess for my case, my LG TV in the living room felt neglected and decided to one day go bad mood LOL.

Update: visited those neighbourhood shop for TV repair and the technician came down. The old technician told me it probably costs around $300 to $400 to repair. Panel issue, based from initial finding. If repair costs more expensive upon further investigation, he may suggest that I just get a new TV. Then only charge $20 for service charge thereafter.

If only LG Service Centre is like this, sighs.. Their on site diagnostic costs alone already a turn off.

Now a day those agent on site diagnostic is all around this cost. Transportation plus workmanship.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my samsung ua49j5200ak went black yesterday.
tried switching HDMI cables, power on and off.
standby light is off when the TV received signal from my nvdia shield.
but total black, is it advisable to repair or get a new TV?

Able to hear sound or use a flash light to shine at the screen to see if you can see some back ground image. It may be back light issue.

Aaron_soh80

Banned
Reaction score
This thread is to discuss option for repair of TVs. But the frank truth is that new sets are more difficult to repair and expensive to do so. The traditional repair shops in HDB flats do not have the parts or expertise unless it is a fuse issue or something simple.

So decide if the repairs make sense and whether a new set is a better bet.

Typically a decent TV can last 5 fives or so, but getting an extended warranty gives you peace of mind.

Remember a big TV is hard to carry in, and there is a risk of the rumoured "programmed death".

For the Part 1 of this topic, please go to :

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/tv-repair-discussion-thread-consolidated-2234911.html

My Sony 55"bravia 3 yrs spolit liao..Sony techican say panel spoilt, charge me $1200 to change. And he ask me buy new one better..u hav lobang?

damnit

Reaction score
Any recommended repair man to fix my back lit issues for LG TV?

Called LG and their service charge alone is $320. That’s ridiculous pricing and it doesn’t even include parts.

seewsimisee

Reaction score
sigh...my sony oled 18 mths old and it died. keeps blinking 4 times and i was told either motherboard or panel spoil

this happened immediately after the firmware update.

my LG oled in the bedroom still going strong after 3 years. so upset with sony's quality.:(

VideoOne2

Reaction score
sigh...my sony oled 18 mths old and it died. keeps blinking 4 times and i was told either motherboard or panel spoil

my LG oled in the bedroom still going strong after 3 years. so upset with sony's quality.:(

should be still under warranty right?

limtk55

Reaction score

Called LG and their service charge alone is $320. That’s ridiculous pricing and it doesn’t even include parts.
Hello there, what seems to be the problem with your backlight?

limtk55

Reaction score

Try this :

Unplug everything, then press TV's power button and vol- button simultaneously. Reconnect TV cord only and turn on power while holding the buttons down until you see the white indicator light turn green. Then release buttons.

This initialises the TV and you will lose all your settings. Simply do a new setup as required. See if it solves your problem.

damnit

Reaction score
Hello there, what seems to be the problem with your backlight?

Thanks. There is a 6-8 inch black vertical band that appears from the bottom to the top of the TV. I can still watch shows but the band is irritating. From my research it seems to be a backlight issue as the TV panel does not have any issues.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If software cause this issue, most likely can be fix with a factory reset.
Very rare software issue will cause hardware to fail to require replacement.

Sony not good with software and testing. Many x900h user getting issue turning TV on. At times TV reset, at times when off have clicking noise. They knew about it last month I hope it get fix before end of the year

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You already did some trouble shooting and confirm is a back light issue?
Hiw big is your TV? Which model?

limtk55

Reaction score
Thanks. There is a 6-8 inch black vertical band that appears from the bottom to the top of the TV. I can still watch shows but the band is irritating. From my research it seems to be a backlight issue as the TV panel does not have any issues.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Makes it easier to understand your screen pronlem too. Maybe can post a HIRES picture to see?

pohw0008

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros.. my tv just pop today.. heard the sound..
LG 55UH615T
Just 3 years 6months.. :(
Worth to repair or get a new one?
I feel the lower panel quite warm to touch.

wypStUM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.