HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

WEMAX projector discussion

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

WEMAX projector discussion

I had compiled the frequently asked questions in the first post. This thread is ONLY for Wemax series projectors discussions, for Xiaomi Mijia series projectors, go to this THREAD
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...t-6053793.html

What is an ultra short throw projector?
An Ultra Short Throw (UST) projector has a very wide angle lens, letting you place the projector just below the screen and the image is reflected onto the screen, typical throw ratio is about 0.233 - 0.4. The advantage of UST is that the projector can be placed near other devices such as a media box, av receiver, etc. It is not necessary to run long cables to the ceiling.

What are the sources of lights used in projectors?
There are 3 main types of lightings, metal halide bulbs, laser and LED used in projectors, metal halide bulbs need to be replaced every few years depending on usage, LED generally has a lower brightness output. Laser-based projectors have high brightness output, do not use bulbs and yet can last for 10 years or more but are more expensive.

What model of the Wemax projector should I get?
Wemax is manufactured by Fengmi, a subsidiary of Xiaomi, the first model it had released is Wemax One Pro. The source brightness is 7000 lumens and laser based. The native resolution is 1920 x 1080, supports 4K HDMI and downscale to 1080p. There are more models to be released by Fengmi that includes a native pseudo-4K DMD chip.

What is the special type of screen used in UST projector?
Ambient Light Rejection (ALR) screen suited for UST projector absorbs light coming from above with a lenticular screen. There are grooves that look like alternating black and white lines on the surface. It improves contrast and black level by allowing the light from the UST projector and reducing other ambient light. ALR screen also makes the colours more vivid and less washed out. The recommended type of ALR screen is PET crystal.

Can I use other types of projector screen?
Not recommended, since retroactive ALR screens may cause issue such as bright spot in the center. There are special projector screen paints that may work however I had not used it before.

How should the UST projector be placed?
Placement of the UST projector should be such that the projected image is about eye level when seated. The height of the console has to be 40cm - 50cm, the horizontal distance from the screen to the front of the projector is about 58 cm to achieve a 100" projection. Do not get a console that is 60 cm height or more or you will get neck strain.

How should the frame for the screen be mounted?
For a 100" frame, the dimension is 225 cm (L) x 126 cm (H). The total height of the mounted frame will be 210 cm, so make sure you have sufficient clearance to mount the frame onto the wall.

How large/small should the screen be?
To project to a 100 screen is just the distance of the projector from the screen. I can project a 200 screen by moving it further but the brightness will be very dim. Typically for a 5000 lumen projector, 100" screen has good brightness even under daylight. If the projector has a lower brightness eg 2000 lumen, then an 80" screen is more suited.

Hope these answer most of your questions, or post in this thread and I try to answer them (when I am free)

Recently I have bought an Ultra Short Throw (UST) laser projector with 7000 lumen. The projector is Xiaomi WEMAX one.

The projector is quite heavy about 7 kg and has an elegant black colour case. I am doing my renovation and will be using this for my TV console.

Last edited by Alphas; 13-06-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Alphas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #2

Where did you get it and how much? Any different between this and the original white color xiaomi?

For the guys who are not informed, there are laser projectors out there and do not require the change of bulbs.

Recently I have bought an Ultra Short Throw (UST) laser projector with 7000 lumen. The projector is Xiaomi WEMAX one.

The projector is quite heavy about 7 kg and has an elegant black colour case. I am doing my renovation and will be using this for my TV console.
tazy_tazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

My ceiling light rejection screen and aluminium frame are coming soon, will post some picture once it is up
Old 20-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #4
XER

For the guys who are not informed, there are laser projectors out there and do not require the change of bulbs.

Where did you get your Wemax and for how much?
XER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #5

My ceiling light rejection screen and aluminium frame are coming soon, will post some picture once it is up
would to know where you get the screen from and how much
potshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Master Member

How much ?
Are you staying in Singapore or China ?
How to buy from Singapore ?
Harri83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Master Member

How much ?
Are you staying in Singapore or China ?
How to buy from Singapore ?
u can find on qoo10 or carousell.
Old 27-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #8

Hi Alphas,

What is the depth of your TV console?

Thanks
tsaiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Anybody tested or bought? Is it Good enough for day time?
KoChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

You need a special screen that is for UST projector, not any normal ALR screen. I just bought the UST screen, will be setting up next week.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi Alphas,

What is the depth of your TV console?

Thanks
Height, 50cm, depth 40cm.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

You need a special screen that is for UST projector, not any normal ALR screen. I just bought the UST screen, will be setting up next week.
Fixed screen? Size and price?

Sent from my Landed property using GAGT
Panerai88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

100, the UST projector screen block light from above and reflect the light from the bottom projector to the front. If you use ordinary projector screen, the colours will be washed out and the contrast is lower.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:00 PM   #14

Hi there

I am also intending to sell away my 65 inch to set up a wemax home theater. Depth and height around same as yours. May i check how is your set up coming along and where do u get your ALR screen?

Looking forward to hearing from you
Corsabrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

The ceiling light rejection screen was sourced from Alibaba. From what I found, there are two factories producing them. The screens from both factories are suitable for UST projector but I am not sure of other differences. Let me get it up and installed before I can test it.

Amazon also have projector screen that is suitable for UST, Elite screen Aeon CLR. However it is expensive and do not ship to Singapore.
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.