HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread III [consolidated]

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #496

Netflix is really shooting its own feet with the real bullets. doesn't really catch what they were doing. They banned to use of AirPlay to screen cast their movies onto the TV screen just about 1 week ago. Their reasons: AirPlay is allowing 3rd party devices to use the product.

Remember sometime ago, they tried to work together with youtube to allow Airplay users to screen cast their movies and now suddenly turning around to ban it.

They must find out why users do not use TV or other devices to watch Netflix movies and use Airplay and who on earth wanted to use AirPlay if it is not out of convenient?

Yes, they wanted to protect their movies and contents but how can they stop it while Netflix users are allowed to download their movies at ease and they don't have to use AirPlay?

Ref:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...-relationship/

Luckily they still support Chromecast. Chromecast dongle, Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Starhub Go Streaming box and Sony Android smart TV supports Chromecast function. So does Mi TV Pro for Indian market.

Basically Chromecast dongles and device running certified Android TV OS will be able to have Chromecast function.

Chromecast Ultra dongle or Mi Box S can be a very good companion for Mi TV users due to the support of Netflix 4K, HBO Go, Starhub Go, SingTel Cast, etc.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #497

Ref:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...-relationship/

Luckily they still support Chromecast. Chromecast dongle, Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Starhub Go Streaming box and Sony Android smart TV supports Chromecast function. So does Mi TV Pro for Indian market.

Basically Chromecast dongles and device running certified Android TV OS will be able to have Chromecast function.

Chromecast Ultra dongle or Mi Box S can be a very good companion for Mi TV users due to the support of Netflix 4K, HBO Go, Starhub Go, SingTel Cast, etc.
Very soon they will ban Chromecast because there are too many imitated Chromecast device coming into the market selling for 1/4 of the price of real Chromecast...the reason they will use is "you cannot control the 3rd party imitation".. Google would have a great time trying to "kill" these products. I was thinking about getting one to try but decided against it as I can still use my iphone and ipad to airplay Youtube etc to MiTV4 except I can't watch Netflix..best at 480p using MiTV4.
pcuser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #498

Very soon they will ban Chromecast because there are too many imitated Chromecast device coming into the market selling for 1/4 of the price of real Chromecast...the reason they will use is "you cannot control the 3rd party imitation".. Google would have a great time trying to "kill" these products. I was thinking about getting one to try but decided against it as I can still use my iphone and ipad to airplay Youtube etc to MiTV4 except I can't watch Netflix..best at 480p using MiTV4.
I doubt that they will be able to do that to Chromecast dongles.

Apps like Happycast, Airscreen, Airpin Pro can do Airplay and DLNA cast and Miracast, but not Chromecast. I do not know of any fake Chromecast dongles.

Anyway, you can still count on Mi Box S for Netflix which is still cheaper than Chromecast Ultra.

Then there are Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k and Roku Streaming Stick Plus.

I bought my Apple TV 3rd gen earlier than my Chromecast 1st gen. I can tell you Chromecast is way better in terms of YouTube than Apple TV. Chromecast dongle was really the best S$35 I have ever spent. My Apple TV 3rd gen is collecting dust now...

Chromecast is also way better than Air Play for those apps it supports.

Last edited by xiaofan; 11-04-2019 at 10:29 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #499

.... I do not know of any fake Chromecast dongles.

Don't like to show fake stuff here.. go shop around; there are many some has even the G engraved or some with added word 5G to show a new version. Claimed to be able to play Netflix 4K without any problem..I guess what they claimed is true because Google Chromecast is only a hardware screen mirror casting device. It can be copied and make exactly the same. All one needs is to copy the firmware and duplicate. Not lock unless google owns the chip factory and can lock the chips from copying..Google can only sue them.

Last edited by pcuser123; 12-04-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #500
Supremacy Member

It is just a high end TV with a cheap cost. It can play most popular Apps including youtube and Netflix except it cannot play them in 4K mode

https://www.pcsteps.com/15579-xiaomi...p-43-smart-tv/

My 55" MiTV4 konked out in the first 6 moths due to failure in the Samsung's screen panel and got a TV replacement about mid 2018. It has been working since. To be sure things won't happen again, I installed 2 small fans to cool the CPU and the power supply board. Now my CPU measured around 41 degree C.

Think it was the heating that kill the Samsung's screen panel because I was overprotecting it by installing some external air filters. This could have restrict the air flow as the screen needs plenty of ventilation because all the LEDs are located down under the TV
I see. Thanks for the info. I probably won't use much Netflix on it and just game on my PS4 Pro. Is it able to play YouTube in 4k? The seller claim that Netflix and YouTube comes pre installed.

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 20 using GAGT

Last edited by Audiology93; 12-04-2019 at 08:46 AM..
Audiology93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #501
Eon

Hi guys. Do you all know how to set the default input to hdmi for Mi TV 4S? Can't seem to find the setting. Thanks
Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #502

Hi guys. Do you all know how to set the default input to hdmi for Mi TV 4S? Can't seem to find the setting. Thanks
It is in the setting control, under "general setting".

https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...dmi-ports.html
Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #503

I see. Thanks for the info. I probably won't use much Netflix on it and just game on my PS4 Pro. Is it able to play YouTube in 4k? The seller claim that Netflix and YouTube comes pre installed.

Can't play youtube 4K; only in 1080p. If you want only to play 4K in youtube, can get any external set top box that can play videos in VP9 format. there are some very cheap ones. If you want to play everything in 4K including Netflix, install Mibox S or Fire TV pr NVDia Shield TV box and other TV having HDMI output and certified to play Netflix. MiBox S will set you back by $80/=
Old 13-04-2019, 12:48 AM   #504
Supremacy Member

Can't play youtube 4K; only in 1080p. If you want only to play 4K in youtube, can get any external set top box that can play videos in VP9 format. there are some very cheap ones. If you want to play everything in 4K including Netflix, install Mibox S or Fire TV pr NVDia Shield TV box and other TV having HDMI output and certified to play Netflix. MiBox S will set you back by $80/=
Noted. I'll order 1 mibox s once I receive the TV next week. Thanks for the info!

Audiology93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #505

have been a user of xiaomi mitv1 since it was released ard 5 years back. think it's time for an upgrade.

a few questions

1. Buy from Taobao or local re-sellers better? the prices are quite almost 50% up but i'm concerned about the power ratings and all

2. From taobao, seems to only have 4A and 4C which the base specs are the same. however, my miTV1 had problems playing netflix and does not show subtitles. does the new OS have the same issue?

3. If buy from taobao, ezbuy should ship but will there be any set up problems? language wise doesn't really bother us. can just swap it up but any other items we need to take note of?

Sorry for the many questions. hope can get some response!
worntilltorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #506

have been a user of xiaomi mitv1 since it was released ard 5 years back. think it's time for an upgrade.

a few questions

1. Buy from Taobao or local re-sellers better? the prices are quite almost 50% up but i'm concerned about the power ratings and all

2. From taobao, seems to only have 4A and 4C which the base specs are the same. however, my miTV1 had problems playing netflix and does not show subtitles. does the new OS have the same issue?

3. If buy from taobao, ezbuy should ship but will there be any set up problems? language wise doesn't really bother us. can just swap it up but any other items we need to take note of?

Sorry for the many questions. hope can get some response!
1. Buying from TaoBao will involve arrangement of shipping , insurance and what not; also without warranty. If not much difference, better get it locally.
2. MiTV4 series can play Netflix using a mod version except it cannot play 4K. Subtitle works without any problem. If die die must have 4K, buy a Mibox to work; just another $80/=
https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...iaomi-tv4.html
3. One can also fix the set up without any problem.. if wall mount here is the way
https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...lcdled-tv.html
4. As for language, just install this apps
https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...chrome-in.html

skyjuceiswater blog has many articles written on MiTV4 will help if you have problem.. can always come back here for quick answers.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM   #507

Get a IR controller, it can turn off the tv change channels etc

thanks for responding. Google Home/Home mini will definitely be able to work with chromecast built in devices, no question there.

Question are if any Mi TV owner who uses Google Home/Home mini successfully turn on/off Mi TV via voice command through Google Home/Home mini, with or without separate Chromecast plug in.
crisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #508
High Supremacy Member

Thinking of buying a Xiaomi 65" as a secondary TV. May I check if there is still advertisement shown after powering it on?
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #509
High Supremacy Member

Rumoured Xiaomi TV 5 coming soon.
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #510

Rumoured Xiaomi TV 5 coming soon.
wtf is that? and how/where can i get it from locally? thanks

Last edited by Scylla; Yesterday at 03:10 PM..
Scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.