HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread IV [consolidated]

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread IV [consolidated]

Xiaomi has a new 65" called "Picture on the Wall" series with sound bars and electronics separately located etc

http://blog.mi.com/en/2019/04/24/mi-...e-at-rmb-6999/

Understand it is still not available in Singapore. It has to be having special setups to allow the TV to be hung on the wall because there won't have much ventilation at the back of the TV. Because of this, it is quite pricey.

https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...iaomi-tv4.html

Last edited by pcuser123; 27-07-2019 at 03:29 PM..
pcuser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #2

Hello, new in the xiaomi TV marketplace. Trying to replace my current Panasonic 50 inch TV. Are xiaomi TVs comparable to the big brands like Sony or Samsung? Quite enticed by the cheap brands but worried about the one year warranty provided in Sg. Any features in the display I should look out for? I am quite a newbie in displays. :/
nickmx1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #3

I purchase a Mi sound bar to be used with my Mi TV 4S.

There are a few things to note. You may want to consider other options depending on your considerations

1. When the sound bar is paired with the TV using Bluetooth there is lag of about1 second with the picture. For movies it can its quite irritating. So you are down to cable options AUX SPIF optical.

2. When connected via optical the sound volume has to be control at the sound bar ......and the sound bar has no remote..
So you need to go press the buttons.

3. The sound bar soumd quality is better than the TV built in speakers but not impressive ...probably not for audiophiles..
harryhan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #4

I purchase a Mi sound bar to be used with my Mi TV 4S.

There are a few things to note. You may want to consider other options depending on your considerations

1. When the sound bar is paired with the TV using Bluetooth there is lag of about1 second with the picture. For movies it can its quite irritating. So you are down to cable options AUX SPIF optical.

2. When connected via optical the sound volume has to be control at the sound bar ......and the sound bar has no remote..
So you need to go press the buttons.

3. The sound bar soumd quality is better than the TV built in speakers but not impressive ...probably not for audiophiles..
Normally, there should not be any delay. I used a cheapo JY A9 soundbar ordered from Taobao, it played without any audio lag using bluetooth.. this is when I am playing youtube or video from TV broadcast..

It is not uncommon to have audio delay when the TVs do not have the required audio decoders or when there are wrong settings; this happened also in SONY, Samsung or LG brands

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...icles/00026069

May be you should do some troubleshooting to find the causes of the audio delay..It might not be due to defective components or design.. trying searching solutions by googling using the following wordings "bluetooth audio lag sound bar in TV".

Last edited by pcuser123; 28-07-2019 at 12:19 AM..
Old 28-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #5

Hello, new in the xiaomi TV marketplace. Trying to replace my current Panasonic 50 inch TV. Are xiaomi TVs comparable to the big brands like Sony or Samsung? Quite enticed by the cheap brands but worried about the one year warranty provided in Sg. Any features in the display I should look out for? I am quite a newbie in displays. :/
When buying MiTV, one should remember that these are budget TV minus all the "bells and whistles".. it is just a basic TV that are mainly designed for the Chinese market. For example, it can play Youtube and Netflix movies only at HD and not at 4K picture quality. It also does not have HDR function that enhances colors.

As for the local warranty, it is offered by the factory in China through the local dealers. There is some risks to take if the local dealers are not trust worthy..
Old 28-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #6

When buying MiTV, one should remember that these are budget TV minus all the "bells and whistles".. it is just a basic TV that are mainly designed for the Chinese market. For example, it can play Youtube and Netflix movies only at HD and not at 4K picture quality. It also does not have HDR function that enhances colors.

As for the local warranty, it is offered by the factory in China through the local dealers. There is some risks to take if the local dealers are not trust worthy..
Quality wise, it is still not that bad; for example, it uses either Samsung or LG LED panels for screen size larger than 55" as there isn't much facilities in China for the manufacturing of these panels as of today.
As for the components, there are only 3 main PCB boards, the main board, the power supply board and the 3rd one is embeded in the LED screen supplied by the LED manufacturers.. so the repairs will be pretty straight forward and there plenty of secondhand parts from TaoBao for less than SGD $50/= each.
There are also the usual defects that are also happening in other better brands. So far the first series MiTV, the MiTV1, is only 6 years old. Some are still running and kicking well. There isn't much fatalities reported here; may be they are all still quite new..

Here is good description about the quality of the MiTV and its history..

https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...i-tv-mitv.html

Last edited by pcuser123; 28-07-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Old 28-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

Normally, there should not be any delay. I used a cheapo JY A9 soundbar ordered from Taobao, it played without any audio lag using bluetooth.. this is when I am playing youtube or video from TV broadcast..

It is not uncommon to have audio delay when the TVs do not have the required audio decoders or when there are wrong settings; this happened also in SONY, Samsung or LG brands

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...icles/00026069

May be you should do some troubleshooting to find the causes of the audio delay..It might not be due to defective components or design.. trying searching solutions by googling using the following wordings "bluetooth audio lag sound bar in TV".
I checked around and this bluetooth lag is a well know problem with the Xiaomi sound bar and there is no fix.

Discussion below

https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1759751-2-0.html
Old 28-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #8

Can this HD limitation be removed if I use an Android TV box to watch YouTube? I intend to use my current box on any new TVs i have, and not use the TV OS that comes with the TV itself, as I think these systems are usually less refined than desired.

For me I just want to consume content such as dramas and football with nice looking displays for the best budget price. It's just the warranty worries me a little.
There are a few options for 4K video

1. Get a box with Android TV OS ATV certification. That will give you 4K for netflix and Youtube.e.g. Mi S TV Box, Nvidia Shield,

2. Get a higher end Android 8
TV Box but no ATV certification. You will get 4K Youtube but only 480p Netflix.

3. Cheaper android boxes normally can only play up to HD for Youtube. You can try some simple hacks - installing Youtube Vanced or edit the build properties. I tried a few of these hacks and managed to get 4K Youtube on a $23 android box. No luck for 4k Netflix on such boxes.

Most Android TV boxes can play 4K videos from a Thumb drive at 30fps.

Last edited by harryhan123; 28-07-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Old 28-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #9

I checked around and this bluetooth lag is a well know problem with the Xiaomi sound bar and there is no fix.

Discussion below

https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1759751-2-0.html
The Indian thread does not describe clearly from which source the video was playing and gave the audio lag. One of them described something about having taken source from HDMI1 , HDMI2 or HDMI3. This could mean that he was playing video from an external blueray player or similar rather than from internet or TV broadcast. There are also some comments about bluetooth was working fine in other instances.

I have a feeling that this problem has something to do with old and new dolby digital devices and players. MiTV only has the new dolby digital plus (DD+) decoder and many movies such as Netflix are only in DD+ mode. MiTV does not have any DD+ to DD nor DD to DD+ converters built-in and could not work properly with those older external devices (blueray etc) or soundbars that used older dolby digital (DD) decoder. Using SPDIF and HDMI connection seem to work if one does not want to replace the older dolby digital players or get an expensive DD+ to DD or DD to DD+ converter that will work. On the other hand, if one is contented with playing just stereo by resetting the MiTV's audio setting to stereo, it should solve the problem.

Last edited by pcuser123; 29-07-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #10
High Supremacy Member

Xiaomi has a new 65" called "Picture on the Wall" series with sound bars and electronics separately located etc

http://blog.mi.com/en/2019/04/24/mi-...e-at-rmb-6999/

Understand it is still not available in Singapore. It has to be having special setups to allow the TV to be hung on the wall because there won't have much ventilation at the back of the TV. Because of this, it is quite pricey.

https://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com...iaomi-tv4.html
Anyone manage to get one of this over into Sg?

I am thinking of getting one..
deadmanINC1 likes this.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #11

i aim this one also

Anyone manage to get one of this over into Sg?

I am thinking of getting one..
deadmanINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
High Supremacy Member

i aim this one also
I read comment on taobao.. quality of tv is so so... As xiaomi quality standard.. some units have back bleeding quite bad.. one got huge black band in the middle after 1 mth.

You need to be able to drill alot of holes in your wall for this!

Else I really like the idea of this tv.. the display, control unit and woofer all separate unit. Tempted to get one and ship it over!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #13

is quite flat lor eh u try shipping need your feedback LOL price how?

I read comment on taobao.. quality of tv is so so... As xiaomi quality standard.. some units have back bleeding quite bad.. one got huge black band in the middle after 1 mth.

Else I really like the idea of this tv.. the display, control unit and woofer all separate unit. Tempted to get one and ship it over!
deadmanINC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #14

The comments from the buyers in Taobao/Tmall can be found here

https://list.tmall.com/search_produc...utton#J_Filter

https://item.mi.com/comment/9689.html

Most of them gave 4.8 out of 5 rating although some complained about the installation and delivery being slow..Think it is still new and most did not have worn out the TV to make a complain..

As for the installation, it will involve 4 M4 and 4 M6 screws to hold the brackets provided with the set. It is slightly complex compare to usual bracket that needs only 4 screws. a paper template is provided to mark the holes. Don't think that will be a bother.

Whats really worrying should be the ventilation for the TV screen. Hopefully, the screen won't heat up under prolonged usage as most electronic are separately located in the sound bar. Nothing mentioned that it is a lower power consumption screen. For the other MiTV4 screen, there is at least a aluminum sheet at the back to dissipate the heat. As for the other models, there are back space for ventilation

Last edited by pcuser123; 03-08-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 03-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

The comments from the buyers in Taobao/Tmall can be found here

https://list.tmall.com/search_produc...utton#J_Filter

https://item.mi.com/comment/9689.html

Most of them gave 4.8 out of 5 rating although some complained about the installation and delivery being slow..Think it is still new and most did not have worn out the TV to make a complain..

As for the installation, it will involve 4 M4 and 4 M6 screws to hold the brackets provided with the set. It is slightly complex compare to usual bracket that needs only 4 screws. a paper template is provided to mark the holes. Don't think that will be a bother.

Whats really worrying should be the ventilation for the TV screen. Hopefully, the screen won't heat up under prolonged usage as most electronic are separately located in the sound bar. Nothing mentioned that it is a lower power consumption screen. For the other MiTV4 screen, there is at least a aluminum sheet at the back to dissipate the heat. As for the other models, there are back space for ventilation
I read those reviews and see the photos.. looks like there is still a tiny gap in between the wall and the display. For my home.. most the time will on the aircon if watching the tv...so I am not that worry overheating.

Worry is get lemon unit and wall already drilled lotsa holes! Need to go thru alot of trouble doing replacement then. Panel wise they say it is using Samsung panel.

Mi tv user interface I am not familiar with... Alot of ads?

When startup time.. need to force-feed user with some ads?

Will probably go ahead with it.. just need to read up more of the other owner's reviews.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.