HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

HTC Magic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #481

sorry not following up on this thread. but some question. can the magic have the sense ui and multi touch etc that is featured on htc hero? is it easy to flash it or something? is it stable? cause im waiting for hero to come out but magic looks nicer and cheaper
Yes the magic can run the hero Rom. Quite easy to flash the Rom. Wat phone are u using now?
foosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #482
Banned

After u go into the recovery image, u can type "adb shell mount -a". This is to mount the /system and /data partitions so that can the files in update.zip can be copied over.

Sometimes it does get mounted without typing the command above but im not sure why also..
OMG thx! It works! Just finished installing chinese input and its working fine now in my phone.

Ok here's wat I did, for those who have trouble installing.

I used the htc hero's chinese CIME from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=512530

copied it to SD card, rename to update.zip

go into fastboot, load in recovery image.

adb shell mount - a

after typing the above, the command prompt will hang for awhile, around 30 secs, then it'll display some error. Ignore that.

So after that error message came up, i proceed to apply the update via the recovery image in the phone and it installs successfully.
cenedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #483

Kazzi: I used htc_cime_haykuro_hero_6.9mb_update.zip. I also had the entire keyboard not appearing, and what I did was to reboot into recovery mode, and reapplying the update.zip, and it worked .

Also, it's weird that you all need to do an "adb shell mount -a" :\. I've applied my update.zip many times, without the computer, and that's actually one of the main advantages of flashing a recovery image directly (instead of using fastboot boot).
Wysie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #484
Banned

for me i didnt flash the recovery into my phone permanently, still using the fastboot from PC method.

Yesterday when i tried installing the CIME it didnt work, giving me an error message

E: Failure at line 2:
copy_dir PACKAGE:system SYSTEM:

then justnow tried it with adb shell mount -a and it installed without any problems.

I did not remove the touch input IME btw. So now im still using the HTC hero's input while smsing, only changing to the chinese input if i need to sms in chinese.
Old 25-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #485
Master Member

haha im still in ns so using a very lousy non cam phone. read the review abt hero very very laggy huh. seems like i will be getting magic and flash to hero rom. ording soon thats why aiming a phone now. when i get my magic can you help me provide all the details for flashing ? haha thx in advance. anyway hero and magic only diff is the MP of the cam rite
immortal86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #486
Banned

The guide for flashing is posted a few pages in this thread. It's an idiot proof guide, u won't go wrong if I follow it really.
Old 25-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #487

Whenever there is an OS update for the iPhone, users can download the update for free. How about HTC Magic?
sengyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #488
Banned

Whenever there is an OS update for the iPhone, users can download the update for free. How about HTC Magic?
of cos the updates are free. But if u hv read the thread, u will know that there's alot of custom roms (or OS versions if u prefer to call it), some of them are even better than the official roms. For example when the official android os 1.5 aka cupcakes came out, there wasnt any multitouch. However the custom roms came out with one that has multitouch.

This is why android os is so good. its highly customizable, we don hv to depend on the company (google in this case) to come out with updates, as the user community themselves can do it. Unlike iphone users who has to depend on apple to come up with new updates.

Check out xda-developers. The community there came out with rom updates almost everyday (I kid u not. This week alone i already installed 3 different versions of roms)
Old 25-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #489
Banned

k4r1m just came out with jacheroski 2.7.4r2. Its different from the slow 2.7.4 that he came up a few days ago. k4r1m says this rom will be slightly faster (i hope he means its faster than 2.7.3!).

Anyone used it yet?

So far im very happy with my jacheroski 2.7.3, not really sure if im should flash my rom already this week. Been doing that way too much already LOL.
Old 26-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #490
Supremacy Member

any appl for video playbk? something like smart movie for symbian
Old 26-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #491

Been doing that way too much already LOL.
ya, u already sound like an addict.
It's good you give Magic a break.
dennisleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #492

How to see friends homepage or website in the Contact app?

On the desktop where I update friends contacts information via the gmail contact. However, when they are sync to the phone, surprisingly I couldn't find the homepage field. Is this deliberate or is that a bug?

Any 3rd party application that can display the contact list as faithful to the web as possible?
Anyone?

10char
dennisleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #493
Banned

i just flashed the recovery image permanently into my phone.

got tired of keep typing those silly fastboot thingy over and over again from my PC LOL
Old 26-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #494

immortal86: Flashing Hero ROM on Magic won't be much faster. The reason why some Hero ROMs are fast is because they have been heavily modified. The default Hero ROM on Magic should perform the same as the actual Hero (very similar, specs wise, since we're using 32A boards).

Also, as fast as JACHeroski is, it can't compare to CyanogenMod or even RAv mods. Sense UI is just not fast enough. Try turning it off, and using the default Home on your Hero ROM, it's suddenly much faster. That's why I'm using RAv instead. Also, while I do admit that Hero looks awesome, after a while, it seems too much. I very much prefer Android as it is . To each his own, I guess.

cenedra: I knew it! It's a matter of time =P. Now you can download ROMs on the MRT, do a Nandroid backup, and apply update.zip! Without your computer . Heh ^^.
Wysie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #495
Master Member

wah seems like android os is really very customizeable. when i get my 3gs i will sell it str away haha and get a magic or hero
immortal86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.