[HELP] How to setup M1 home fixed line to use existing home telephone line wiring

DarylHo

Reaction score
Sorry to trouble you guys on this.

I'm trying to setup the free M1 home fixed line, that came with my home broadband plan, such that I can connect phones via the existing telephone wall sockets rather than only the TEL port from the modem.

I've an existing singtel home line which I wanna cancel in lieu of the free M1 home line. I've read a couple of posts here on this topic and I'm still confused especially on how to go about disconnecting the telephone circuit (so it won't be "live") and actually I need to connect from which where to where to be able to relay via the existing home telephone wall sockets? Many thks :)

dolphinv

Reaction score
I thought that the broadband that comes free with your home broadband line is VOIP i.e you need to connect it to router only. Otherwise if you connect to telephone point its not free and is instead chargeable. Alternatively u can bought a pair of Detachable phone and one connect to ONT/ Modem and the other at the place you wish

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You talked until quite confusing. My experience. I have my TP, ONT in my storeroom. During reno, I asked contractor to pull a phone line from my storeroom to my living room, the place where I want to place my phone. In the storeroom, it is the rj11 head which goes directly into ONT voip port. In living room, it is a wall socket, I plug in the phone cable to it, and to the phone.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All you have to do is to connect the RJ11 output from ONT to the RJ11 jack on the wall phone socket. If you need a phone set on the same socket, just use a spliter. The rest of phone socket on the same phone wiring will also be active. I'm not sure how many phone the ONT is capable of supporting, some claimed up to 4 phone is possible.

Just be sure the tel-line is not active by checking with a multimeter or simply testing it with a phone set (there must be no tone whatsoever), before connecting to the ONT. Of course, the safest method is to disconnect the wiring at the DP located at riser duct outside your flat.

BTW, where is your TP/ONT located?

vodaboy

Reaction score
All you have to do is to connect the RJ11 output from ONT to the RJ11 jack on the wall phone socket. If you need a phone set on the same socket, just use a spliter. The rest of phone socket on the same phone wiring will also be active.

Same here, I set up my home the same way (with the exception that I'm on Starhub). Should work if you do this.

JeNoVa-IcHiGo

Reaction score
Basically just disconnect your Telephone ports in the house from the Riser so they become an "Internal" circuit.

Then basically you can plug the ONT tel port 1 to the wall point and it should "share" the connection.

DarylHo

Reaction score
All you have to do is to connect the RJ11 output from ONT to the RJ11 jack on the wall phone socket. If you need a phone set on the same socket, just use a spliter. The rest of phone socket on the same phone wiring will also be active. I'm not sure how many phone the ONT is capable of supporting, some claimed up to 4 phone is possible.

Just be sure the tel-line is not active by checking with a multimeter or simply testing it with a phone set (there must be no tone whatsoever), before connecting to the ONT. Of course, the safest method is to disconnect the wiring at the DP located at riser duct outside your flat.

Dear Albert,

Just to check with you, is the free M1 home fixed line compatible with fax machines? Sorry coz I've really no clue on VOIP stuffs haha

My TP is located in the living room so just nice. Now the task is only to locate the riser duct and disconnect the wiring at the DP. What color wire(s) should I be disconnecting btw?

JeNoVa-IcHiGo

Reaction score
AFAIK customers has been able to get it to work with fax machines, what requirements wise IDK thou. cause there seems to be only certain models supported.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Albert,

Just to check with you, is the free M1 home fixed line compatible with fax machines? Sorry coz I've really no clue on VOIP stuffs haha

My TP is located in the living room so just nice. Now the task is only to locate the riser duct and disconnect the wiring at the DP. What color wire(s) should I be disconnecting btw?

Don't use fax machines so can't comment. Try calling M1 support for assistance.

If you're unsure about which wiring to terminate, the best is to leave it alone. I also didn't terminate mine as the screw on the block terminal is busted.

chris1987

Reaction score
sorry for bump,

facing same problem as TS,

so basically i just need to connect my ONT to any of the phone wall socket and the rest will become live ?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry for bump,

facing same problem as TS,

so basically i just need to connect my ONT to any of the phone wall socket and the rest will become live ?

That right.

My setup is opposite of your, ie. my ONT is located in my room and phone in living room. I have been using this setup way back when I was still on SH MOL and now M1 FBB.

happily1986

Reaction score

Hi albert, can i check with you whether it is unlawful for us to access the distribution board and unplug the incoming line into our flat? i am also thinking of converting the existing RJ11 UTP into a internal ring network as well.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi albert, can i check with you whether it is unlawful for us to access the distribution board and unplug the incoming line into our flat? i am also thinking of converting the existing RJ11 UTP into a internal ring network as well.

Best not to touch the DB unless you know what you're doing. Anyway, the old POTS is dead, all phone services go through the fibre network.

As mentioned before, can always check to see if phone line is active using a multi-meter.

happily1986

Reaction score
Best not to touch the DB unless you know what you're doing. Anyway, the old POTS is dead, all phone services go through the fibre network.

As mentioned before, can always check to see if phone line is active using a multi-meter.

I see. I have a multimeter. May i ask how do i verify whether the POTS line in the house is live? I have a test pen as well. Do i have to perform splicing to confirm this?

I suppose if the POTS line is not carrying a voltage then it is safe for me to forward the digital voice signal to my home POTS network?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. I have a multimeter. May i ask how do i verify whether the POTS line in the house is live? I have a test pen as well. Do i have to perform splicing to confirm this?

I suppose if the POTS line is not carrying a voltage then it is safe for me to forward the digital voice signal to my home POTS network?

Set meter to measure voltage (DC) and test the 2 points inside the socket, "live" phone line carry around 48V DC iirc.

In my case, the moment the POTS line got turn-off by Singtel, there is no voltage whatsoever. After which I simply connect the output from ONT RJ11 to one of the point and all the room have connection. FYI, I have 2 corded phones in different room connected to the ONT.

happily1986

Reaction score
Set meter to measure voltage (DC) and test the 2 points inside the socket, "live" phone line carry around 48V DC iirc.

In my case, the moment the POTS line got turn-off by Singtel, there is no voltage whatsoever. After which I simply connect the output from ONT RJ11 to one of the point and all the room have connection. FYI, I have 2 corded phones in different room connected to the ONT.

Thank you for the informative reply. I will verify the voltage and do the same as you did as well. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.