[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS Lyra - Corner to Corner WiFi

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, my fibre access point is currently in my bedroom. I live in a HDB maisonette. In this case, does this mean that fibre hub 1 will always be the one connected next to the fibre OTP? Like this very hard to achieve line of sight leh..

etoilebiscuit

Master Member
Reaction score
What is your color of your connectivity?

Primary node ~> living room should be 3 or 2 green lines and primary node ~> master bedroom should be 2 yellow lines in star network topology i supposed and seeing this.

Move your master bedroom node ~> bedroom 3 if you can and let me know your network map status. You can always move the ASUS Lyra around and use the ASUS Lyra app to check the network map or using the ASUS Lyra LED color as an indication ~> light cyan is within range and red is out of the range.

If you want to achieve better connectivity, do consider wall mount the ASUS Lyra. Do not place the ASUS Lyra @ those low TV console (low height) and it does have performance connectivity impact.
Thanks maylyn. Will follow closely. Havent set up in my new house yet.

Sent from Samsung SM-A520F using GAGT

redsuns86

Reaction score
Any idea if Asus will do a software update to include wired Ethernet backhaul? Tempted to get an Asus becos of the look but since Velop did the update and lyra has not, getting a little hesitant.

etoilebiscuit

Master Member
Reaction score
Any idea if Asus will do a software update to include wired Ethernet backhaul? Tempted to get an Asus becos of the look but since Velop did the update and lyra has not, getting a little hesitant.
If u refer to post 4 of from Asus faq, maylyn mentioned that wired backhaul will be enabled in the near future. Just got it for my new bro from comex.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, my fibre access point is currently in my bedroom. I live in a HDB maisonette. In this case, does this mean that fibre hub 1 will always be the one connected next to the fibre OTP? Like this very hard to achieve line of sight leh..

Line of sight isn't a must but if you are do so it's helps with performance.

Just look @ mine ~> my main node (which my ONT/FTP resides @) and my node 2 which is @ my living room, there is a wall in between them (back to back) and my node 3 which is @ my kitchen - there is 2 walls and some distance away from my main node.

I'm still getting 2 green lines connectivity strength to my last node (node 3) from my main node, be it on star network/daisy chain topology setup.

From this

to this

XASt6XD.png

Whether one is on star network topology or daisy chain topology due to one's premises constraints, more importantly is the ASUS Lyra network map must be showing 3/2 green lines connectivity if possible which results optimal coverage and wireless performance.

redsuns86

Reaction score
If u refer to post 4 of from Asus faq, maylyn mentioned that wired backhaul will be enabled in the near future. Just got it for my new bro from comex.

Thanks, still have free gift? The Asus promoter from M1 wasn't able to confirm tmm with me so I didn't get it. Did you convert all your tel port to data port for your bto?

I did a conversion from tel phone points to data lan points in all my rooms so I have a total of 4 LAN points including the one in the living room for my new 4rm bto flat.

I was about to go for wifi mesh (either lyra or velop) but since the package doesn't come with the router and the mesh only has 2 ports, I will lose out 2 LAN points connection at the DB box areas.

Will it be better if I just get the basic 1gbps plan and use their free router in my DB box and buy another more powerful one in the living room?

Would having a ONR instead of ONT potentially save me from getting another router since the ONR can be the only one in the DB box while I can use the provided router in the living room?

I would definitely need a router/mesh node at my console area for the media stuff there.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, still have free gift? The Asus promoter from M1 wasn't able to confirm tmm with me so I didn't get it. Did you convert all your tel port to data port for your bto?

I did a conversion from tel phone points to data lan points in all my rooms so I have a total of 4 LAN points including the one in the living room for my new 4rm bto flat.

I was about to go for wifi mesh (either lyra or velop) but since the package doesn't come with the router and the mesh only has 2 ports, I will lose out 2 LAN points connection at the DB box areas.

Will it be better if I just get the basic 1gbps plan and use their free router in my DB box and buy another more powerful one in the living room?

Would having a ONR instead of ONT potentially save me from getting another router since the ONR can be the only one in the DB box while I can use the provided router in the living room?

I would definitely need a router/mesh node at my console area for the media stuff there.

VQ aside, only singtel offers ONR for new sign ups.

In your case, it seems like ONR is to your advantage since the ONR can remain in your DB box while you put the mesh nodes outside it..

redsuns86

Reaction score
VQ aside, only singtel offers ONR for new sign ups.

In your case, it seems like ONR is to your advantage since the ONR can remain in your DB box while you put the mesh nodes outside it..

Thanks renfred89, yea that's what I am thinking as well. Not too sure if I wanna take a punt on VQ or pay more each month to go with ST. I heard whizz mom provides ONR as well? Either way, the wifi mesh would be able to work with both providers' ONR/router ya?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I already have Asus ac 88u, can I connect one of the lan port to the Lyra?

Can. Just that you will now have 3 Wi-Fi ssid. Ac88u dual band + Lyra.

Or you could switch off Ac88u Wi-Fi and only use Lyra's signal.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's right.. As long as wifi mesh is connected to router, it will work with any provider..

Thanks renfred89, yea that's what I am thinking as well. Not too sure if I wanna take a punt on VQ or pay more each month to go with ST. I heard whizz mom provides ONR as well? Either way, the wifi mesh would be able to work with both providers' ONR/router ya?

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am on VQ 1Gb. My MBP getting speed like 2xxMbps to 3xxMbps from living room. iPhone ard 1xxMpbs - 2xxMpbs. My Router (Asus 88U) is located inside DB cabinet.

any advise if i should get Lyra?

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Am on VQ 1Gb. My MBP getting speed like 2xxMbps to 3xxMbps from living room. iPhone ard 1xxMpbs - 2xxMpbs. My Router (Asus 88U) is located inside DB cabinet.

any advise if i should get Lyra?

You are better served with any mesh WiFi out there due to the fact that your ASUS RT-AC88U is in the DB cabinet :s22:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
:s13: router ugly and bulky leh if put outside. :s13:

Aiyo .... You are like machiam having a Lamborghini and cruising on the road with speed regulating strips leh .... :s22:

Just look @ your dBm values you know it already ;)

How you survive @ -80dBM in your master bedroom?

Unless you have no choice and really needs to place the AC88 inside the DB cabinet. you can just hoot the ASUS Lyra for provide better coverage.

My 2 cents suggestion.

yoD5GL4.png

You can always play around in placement of the other 2 nodes or even add one another or another to 5 nodes star network setup.

Last edited:

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:s13: no choice.

-80dBM is toilet...this is just with the toilet door close. think if MBR door also close..worse

i'm using laptop in living room most of the time...so would love to have better speed.

so i need to get pack of 3, one put inside DB with the router? one will be in living room and another in mbr.
my Asus 88u not required anymore?

Aiyo .... You are like machiam having a Lamborghini and cruising on the road with speed regulating strips leh .... :s22:

Just look @ your dBm values you know it already ;)

How you survive @ -80dBM in your master bedroom?

Unless you have no choice and really needs to place the AC88 inside the DB cabinet. you can just hoot the ASUS Lyra for provide better coverage.

My 2 cents suggestion.

yoD5GL4.png

You can always play around in placement of the other 2 nodes or even add one another or another to 5 nodes star network setup.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
:s13: no choice.

-80dBM is toilet...this is just with the toilet door close. think if MBR door also close..worse

i'm using laptop in living room most of the time...so would love to have better speed.

so i need to get pack of 3, one put inside DB with the router? one will be in living room and another in mbr.
my Asus 88u not required anymore?

Of cos you have place the the primary node outside (just outside will do) the DB cabinet lah :D if not it's like the same scenario once again.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.