HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #196
Arch-Supremacy Member

thanks for suggestion.. i have changed it from aggressive to normal but that seems to make the connection drops even more frequently and lasts longer... drops every minute when set to normal and the drops can last for more than 30sec.

as for reading reviews, yes i have read about the issues that people have with this router but the same goes for other brands as well. i was actually looking at netgear and this. after going through different forums, it seems both models have issues and there are also people that didnt encounter any problems with their routers, so it was hard to make a decision.
If thatís the case, reset your router by pressing the button behind while making your your ont is already rebooted prior to resetting the router.

Then set up again as new router, not to restore from saved settings.

If didnít work, search the log for diagnostic hints..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #197
Supremacy Member

From ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Owners @ SNBForums...

According to Jrac86:-
"For anyone having issues with link aggregation, this beta firmware will fix the issue.
Turns out that there were units shipped out without the nvram values being correctly set for link aggregation. Flash this beta and then perform a factory reset and it will work. Just know that this beta does NOT have aimesh in it."

GT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_384_20216-g74b8f6e_ubi.w
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navig...B438590DF89BEY

Please remember to reset to factory default and setup from the beginning after the update to ensure minimal issue/bug/problem!
Enjoy!
Old 27-01-2018, 04:06 AM   #198
Supremacy Member

Official firmware for ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 released.

Source: https://www.asus.com/Networking/ROG-...HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 3.0.0.4.384.20287
2018/01/26

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wir...0438420287.zip

Changelog

New feature
AiMesh: an innovative new router feature that connects multiple ASUS routers to create a whole-home Wi-Fi network. Refer to https://www.asus.com/aimesh/ for more detail.

- Added IPSec VPN server
- Supported Alexa.
- Supported IFTTT.
- Supported Let's encrypt to help get free Certificate Authority (CA). To enable this feature, the router needs to obtain public IP from ISP.

Enhancement
- Increased OpenVPN server throughput.
- Boosted Samba writing performance. To get full USB 3.0 speed, please disable "reducing USB 3.0 interference".

Security fixed
- Fixed CVE-2017-14491: DNS - 2 byte heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14492: DHCP - heap based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14493: DHCP - stack based overflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-14494: DHCP - info leak
- Fixed CVE-2017-14495: DNS - OOM DoS
- Fixed CVE-2017-14496: DNS - DoS Integer underflow
- Fixed CVE-2017-13704: Bug collision
- Fixed predictable session tokens(CVE-2017-15654), logged user IP validation(CVE-2017-15653), Logged-in information disclosure (special thanks to Blazej Adamczyk contribution)
- Fixed web GUI authorization vulnerabilities.
- Fixed AiCloud XSS vulnerabilities
- Fixed XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Joaquim's contribution.
- Fixed LAN RCE vulnerability. An independent security researcher has reported this vulnerability to Beyond Security’s SecuriTeam Secure Disclosure program
- Fixed remote code execution vulnerability. Thanks to David Maciejak of Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs
- Fixed Smart Sync Stored XSS vulnerabilities. Thanks fo Guy Arazi's contribution.
- Fixed CVE-2018-5721 Stack-based buffer overflow

Bug fixed
- Fixed CTF related issues.
- Fixed link aggregation issues.
- Fixed network map abnormal response time issues
- Fixed client list issues.
- Fixed AiCloud smart sync issue.
- Fixed client icon modification issue when client name includes special characters.
- Fixed httpd issues caused by two way IPS.
- Fixed WTFast game list and server list related problem.
- Fixed Network traffic bugs in AP mode.

Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #199

awesome, thank you!
Old 05-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #200

I'm on SingTel Mio and using the RT-AC86U with RP-AC86U (repeater) and am considering to replace them with Linksys Velop. Was doing some research when more options came into my mind. I have a few questions before I make the plunge, and hopefully the experts here can provide some guidance.

Option 1. Linksys Velop with RT-AC86U (due to VLAN).

Option 2. ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC86U (as AI Mesh node) but my concern is that the node will only be dual band and they are of slower speed.

Option 3. ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?

Last question, what is the difference between AI Mesh as compared to Mesh? Are they essentially the same, except with AI Mesh, I can see which router and band my devices are connected to. And I get to retain the functions of the powerful ROG Rapture GT-AC5300?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #201
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm on SingTel Mio and using the RT-AC86U with RP-AC86U (repeater) and am considering to replace them with Linksys Velop. Was doing some research when more options came into my mind. I have a few questions before I make the plunge, and hopefully the experts here can provide some guidance.

Option 1. Linksys Velop with RT-AC86U (due to VLAN).

Option 2. ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC86U (as AI Mesh node) but my concern is that the node will only be dual band and they are of slower speed.

Option 3. ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?

Last question, what is the difference between AI Mesh as compared to Mesh? Are they essentially the same, except with AI Mesh, I can see which router and band my devices are connected to. And I get to retain the functions of the powerful ROG Rapture GT-AC5300?
Usually, native mesh routers combine all Wi-Fi bands together for seamless roaming. AiMesh allows you the option to maintain separate bands across a mesh network. And as you mention, have more network management features compared to native mesh which are targeted at users who're looking for a simpler setup.

Last edited by xonix; 05-06-2018 at 07:40 PM..
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #202

Usually, native mesh routers combine all Wi-Fi bands together for seamless roaming. AiMesh allows you the option to maintain separate bands across a mesh network. And as you mention, have more network management features compared to native mesh which are targeted at users who're looking for a simpler setup.
A pack of 3 Velops cost $500, while 3 RT-AC86U cost around $750.

I am just wondering, on a per device basis, based on their cost, using Asus routers as AI Mesh should triumph Velop? So the current mesh routers out there are geared towards simplicity, or do they (Velop, Orbi etc) offer anything better?

1 contradicting point to is that most of the Asus routers that do AI Mesh is only on dual band, unlike Mesh routers that have tri-band, the 3rd band being used for backhaul. But again, Velop, Orbi and even Lyra recent release of Mesh are only dual bands (lower cost option for people who don't need the backhaul).

This mesh thing is really confusing to me.. haha.

Putting cost aside, is the best option the below?
ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #203
Arch-Supremacy Member

A pack of 3 Velops cost $500, while 3 RT-AC86U cost around $750.

I am just wondering, on a per device basis, based on their cost, using Asus routers as AI Mesh should triumph Velop? So the current mesh routers out there are geared towards simplicity, or do they (Velop, Orbi etc) offer anything better?

1 contradicting point to is that most of the Asus routers that do AI Mesh is only on dual band, unlike Mesh routers that have tri-band, the 3rd band being used for backhaul. But again, Velop, Orbi and even Lyra recent release of Mesh are only dual bands (lower cost option for people who don't need the backhaul).

This mesh thing is really confusing to me.. haha.

Putting cost aside, is the best option the below?
ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?
If I'm reading the info from the aimesh website correctly, when you have a pair of tri bands, one of the 5ghz is used for backhaul.

As for the differences between the 2 models, since I don't own the gt, I leave it up to others to comment.

Last edited by xonix; 06-06-2018 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #204

Imo I won't spend too much money ($500+) on consumer mesh units. If you want better performance and don't mind spending more, hire a contractor to lay cables and use dedicated APs switches and routers. ubiquiti unifi is a good fit for the job
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #205

Hi guys, just recently signed up with MR for this router. Can I check if i need to buy the cat 6 cable to go with this router ?
zacky1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #206
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys, just recently signed up with MR for this router. Can I check if i need to buy the cat 6 cable to go with this router ?
1Gbps ? If yes, included cable is sufficient.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #207

1Gbps ? If yes, included cable is sufficient.
Yep signed up for the 1Gbps. Thanks for the help!
zacky1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #208

Read through this thread and tried a few things but none seem to work. Anyone else get this odd problem?

I have two PC's (LAN) and a tv (not an IPTV, just regular LAN for Twitch and Youtube etc... for now...) and several handphones connected (wifi). All is fine.

However, last few days had strange issue - if I decide to connect to the Internet or ramp up speed (either through downloads or via game, any game - Overwatch, Starcraft etc.) my other PC immediately loses Internet. All handphones still connected just fine.

The PC that loses Internet - diagnostics don't even 'see' the LAN cable connected anymore. Restart mode, restart PC, doesn't fit. Plug/unplug LAN also doesn't work either. It just suddenly seems as if the entire other PC is not even noticed on network. I had flashed to latest official ASUS firmware.

Anyone got any help for this?
Old 15-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #209
Supremacy Member

having issue with my internet now. Connection is intermittently very slow. Starhub says i keep having multiple ip address at my place, not sure what is the case.
Old 15-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #210
Supremacy Member

having issue with my internet now. Connection is intermittently very slow. Starhub says i keep having multiple ip address at my place, not sure what is the case.
Ask them reset ur connection, try again or set ur DHCP to normal instead of aggressive
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.