HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC5300

Like Tree159Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #166

Well what's wrong with having the same SSID for all the 3 bands? You have not answered my questions directly and that is whether the Smart Connect detection is based on SSID, 2.4/5GHz (which first?) or passcode (s).

I'll be grateful if you can just answer my questions on Smart Connect. I would like to know why Smart Connect gives different results for 2x Note 4 at 1m away with the same SSID and just doing connection only. Can answer?
Refer to my earlier reply on, why you shouldnt set 3 bands to the same SSID.

If you use Tri-band smart connect, all 3 bands will share the same passcodes.

it is normal for the router to assign different band to different devices. why do you want to squeeze all the cars to one lane when you have 3? just spread them out la, isnt that the whole point about having Tri-Band?

Asus SG please show him the advertisement on Tri-band network and how it move device from congested band to a less congested band.
Maximus_XXVIII likes this.
kin830725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #167

Hoot in progress...

Reporting back tonight
Mikiberry and Maximus_XXVIII like this.
SimonLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #168
Supremacy Member

Well what's wrong with having the same SSID for all the 3 bands? You have not answered my questions directly and that is whether the Smart Connect detection is based on SSID, 2.4/5GHz (which first?) or passcode (s).

I'll be grateful if you can just answer my questions on Smart Connect. I would like to know why Smart Connect gives different results for 2x Note 4 at 1m away with the same SSID and just doing connection only. Can answer?
Just buy netgear, price drop cos demand cannot make it. You can keep SSID the same cause others said so. Good product. Buy liao and just enjoy your hoot. I peasant, I think I will stick to the cheaper alternative 5300 lol.
Mikiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #169

If let's say I'm connected to 2.4band, and when I walk closer where the 5Ghz band is strong. Does smart connect detect this and switch my device over to the faster 5Ghz band? This is for the scenario where all 3 bands have 1 SSID.
chanbri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #170
Arch-Supremacy Member

Have anyone read this article on Smart Connect. Perhaps it will answer some of the questions we have here.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...missing-manual
armisg likes this.

Last edited by seller4; 26-11-2015 at 03:14 PM..
seller4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #171
Arch-Supremacy Member

Re

The device search the wifi network via SSID. It's not advisable to set both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with the same SSID.

the logic behind is that:
there are 2 person call Alex. When you shout Alax, both people will turn around then they will confuse who are you calling. that's why you have to set different name (SSID), e.g. Alex Lee and Alex Tan, then they wont be confuse. in fact, if you set the same SSID for both bands. the device will confuse itself and jump around both bands, causing "disconnection" and connection issue.

Of course some wifi card can set preferred band. usually default is "no preference". For phones, i have yet to see a phone that supports wifi band preference.

Tri-Band technology uses a different method. Router assign the band and remember the device. Speed will be affected slightly. but like i said, it's more convenient to have 1 SSID rather than 2 SSID. You want absolute speed then just separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network.

i am not going to give everyone here a lesson on Wi-Fi 101. Since you dont know how Wi-fi works, just let the router do its job. that's the reason why you paid near 500 bucks for a router, isnt it?
You are right to say that I paid about $500 for the router and expect it to do the job. That's my expectation. And with 1 SSID for the 3 bands is for my convenience.

The only issue I faced was why a Note 4 at 1m distance and connects to the router is at 2.4GHz while another Note 4 connects at 5GHz. That's what puzzled me.

Don't tell me the router cannot handle 2 Note 4 only on the 5GHz bands using Smart Connect at 1m distance?

Anyway thanks for your explanation.

Very early in the morning I've set (or rather force) my 5GHz devices to one SSID and those running on 2.4GHz devices using another SSID. So far total in are 10x devices on 5GHz. Due to wall blockages 2 to 3 of them are exhibiting weak signal and drop connection which means I'll need to reconnect them to using 2.4GHz band. And I've yet to connect the 2.4GHz devices to the new SSID as I'm now in the office.

Looks like this Smart Connect isn't smart enough to use 1 SSID and I have to go through reconnecting my devices
Apparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #172
Arch-Supremacy Member

Re

Have anyone read this article on Smart Connect. Perhaps it will answer some of the questions we have here.

Thanks for the article.

I've read it and nothing is mentioned of SSID i.e. there's no mention of device confusion when there's only 1 SSID in use
Old 26-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #173
Arch-Supremacy Member

Re

If let's say I'm connected to 2.4band, and when I walk closer where the 5Ghz band is strong. Does smart connect detect this and switch my device over to the faster 5Ghz band? This is for the scenario where all 3 bands have 1 SSID.
Theoretically it should just like if you are initially in the 5GHz band and near to the router. When you move further away say behind walls it should fall to the 2.4GHz band and vice versa. Note that it takes sometime for the router to make the switch from band-to-band. You can check this using the ASUS Router app if you are using ASUS router

However, if WiFi search is determined by the SSID (like someone said) then I don't know lah

Last edited by Apparatus; 26-11-2015 at 04:07 PM..
Old 26-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #174
Arch-Supremacy Member

to be honest, i see the arguments so far i also a bit confused.

1. does tri-band smart connect require 1 common ssid? or 2 ssid? or both also can?
2. a 5ghz device when go far enough will drop to 2.5ghz band, but when go near enough and given some time, will it switch back to 5ghz?
aerosmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #175

You are right to say that I paid about $500 for the router and expect it to do the job. That's my expectation. And with 1 SSID for the 3 bands is for my convenience.

The only issue I faced was why a Note 4 at 1m distance and connects to the router is at 2.4GHz while another Note 4 connects at 5GHz. That's what puzzled me.

Don't tell me the router cannot handle 2 Note 4 only on the 5GHz bands using Smart Connect at 1m distance?

Anyway thanks for your explanation.

Very early in the morning I've set (or rather force) my 5GHz devices to one SSID and those running on 2.4GHz devices using another SSID. So far total in are 10x devices on 5GHz. Due to wall blockages 2 to 3 of them are exhibiting weak signal and drop connection which means I'll need to reconnect them to using 2.4GHz band. And I've yet to connect the 2.4GHz devices to the new SSID as I'm now in the office.

Looks like this Smart Connect isn't smart enough to use 1 SSID and I have to go through reconnecting my devices
This manual is exactly what you are looking for. It doesnt talk about SSID because when you turn on Tri-Band Smart connect, you will only have 1 SSID. Since you want to have more control over who receive which band, you can read this guide to change your settings. if you dont know what it means, i would suggest that you leave it at the default and dont complain. the router is not smart enough to read your mind.

Thanks. this is really useful.
kin830725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #176
Arch-Supremacy Member

This manual is exactly what you are looking for. It doesnt talk about SSID because when you turn on Tri-Band Smart connect, you will only have 1 SSID. Since you want to have more control over who receive which band, you can read this guide to change your settings. if you dont know what it means, i would suggest that you leave it at the default and dont complain. the router is not smart enough to read your mind.

Thanks. this is really useful.
That article was an old one. Read many times leow. It also said ASUS implemented the Smart Connect too aggressively compared to others.

Correct. That's why by leaving the router at default with Smart Connect on and 1 SSID for all is what I want.

Let me tell you about this 2 SSIDs thing which I tried out. After changing to 2 SSIDs I set Smart Connect to 2-band connection. I tested one dual-band (non-ac) IP camera first at 5GHz and observed it's signal strength was 2 bars using ASUS Router app on my Note 4. Then I reconnet using the 2.4GHz SSID and observed again. It was at the same 2 bar signal strength. The IP camera was with 2 walls in-between. So my conclusion is why the hassle to set using 2 SSIDs when there's no improvement in the 2.4GHz band signal?

After the above experiment last night I reset the Smart Connect to 3 bands with 1 SSID and this morning my Note 4 and 7x5GHz IP cameras all happily went to 2.4GHz band. My maid's Note 4 changed to 5GHz instead. See how smart the Smart Connect is.

When I checked using the WiFi Analysis app there are only 2 routers in it ie me and another neighbor's router. Whereas there are about 6 - 8 routers in the 2.4GHz band. Shouldn't the AC5300 smart enough to tell my 5GHz devices to stay put in the 5GHz band instead of assigning all to the crowded 2.4GHz band?

I think I'll try again tonight by having 1 SSID and setting the Smart Connect to 2 band and see the result.

Last edited by Apparatus; 27-11-2015 at 08:48 AM..
Old 27-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #177
Arch-Supremacy Member

to be honest, i see the arguments so far i also a bit confused.

1. does tri-band smart connect require 1 common ssid? or 2 ssid? or both also can?
2. a 5ghz device when go far enough will drop to 2.5ghz band, but when go near enough and given some time, will it switch back to 5ghz?
IMO 1 or 2 SSID also can depending on whether you are getting the desired result

Your 2nd point should be like that lah

Last edited by Apparatus; 27-11-2015 at 07:01 AM..
Old 27-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #178

Question

Hi,

Just bought the 8 legged monster to replace my 4 year old AC66U.

Placed at the same location, same settings etc.....but I am shocked that I cannot detect the first 5Ghz SSID in my room which I have full signal previously......

Stay in HDB 5 room flat and the distance is less than 5m with only 1 wall in between.

The other 5Ghz can be detected but upon connection the speed is much lower....

Is there something I need to set in the router?
Saabo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #179

Hi,

Just bought the 8 legged monster to replace my 4 year old AC66U.

Placed at the same location, same settings etc.....but I am shocked that I cannot detect the first 5Ghz SSID in my room which I have full signal previously......

Stay in HDB 5 room flat and the distance is less than 5m with only 1 wall in between.

The other 5Ghz can be detected but upon connection the speed is much lower....

Is there something I need to set in the router?
wah seriously!?! i thot the signal should be better then AC66U. like that i need to hold on 1st for the review then buy. i dont want wait buy already signal so lousy.
guards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #180

wah seriously!?! i thot the signal should be better then AC66U. like that i need to hold on 1st for the review then buy. i dont want wait buy already signal so lousy.

i think is the Firmware buggy which cause the wifi signal issue where it cannot perform the best of it yet.. i also find that my asus ac3200 signal better then this router something weird that i found..
iceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.