www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   [Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Bmaylyn-networking%5D-asus-rt-ac86u-5678796.html)

Charlie_Zhan 14-04-2018 05:21 PM

the speed performance of this beast with OpenVPN client is amazing..

Sent from International Space Station using GAGT

dryteletubby 14-04-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Zhan (Post 113817960)
the speed performance of this beast with OpenVPN client is amazing..

What's the speed you get?

Charlie_Zhan 14-04-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryteletubby (Post 113818118)
What's the speed you get?

easily above 200mbps download and upload

dryteletubby 14-04-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Zhan (Post 113819846)
easily above 200mbps download and upload

Nice. wonder why don't more router manufacturers use chipsets that can do openVPN instead of IPsec

andynamics 29-04-2018 09:12 AM

Cannot download latest firmware

Saw a prompter from main screen on availability of new firmware. But after clicking update button, the pop up window displays “downloading” and it just hangs there for more than 30min. I tried both on wired connection and wireless connection and the same thing happens.

Have rebooted my router both by software and hardware, and the same still happens. Is there something about the latest firmware download or is something not right about my router. I had updated few firmware successfully in the past.

Pse advise, thks.

renfred89 29-04-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andynamics (Post 114104125)
Saw a prompter from main screen on availability of new firmware. But after clicking update button, the pop up window displays “downloading” and it just hangs there for more than 30min. I tried both on wired connection and wireless connection and the same thing happens.

Have rebooted my router both by software and hardware, and the same still happens. Is there something about the latest firmware download or is something not right about my router. I had updated few firmware successfully in the past.

Pse advise, thks.

download from the website better, try not to rely on the built in update engine..

kashix 29-04-2018 11:52 PM

bought 1 RT-AC86U earlier to test and play!

initial result for my Wi-Fi connection in my room on my desktop, router is in the living room next to ONT!

5Ghz

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7268474957.png

2nd test on 5Ghz

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7268851178.png

this router is a beast .... my god, the speed is so damn fast! like a speed demon!

Charlie_Zhan 30-04-2018 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kashix (Post 114118354)
bought 1 RT-AC86U earlier to test and play!

initial result for my Wi-Fi connection in my room on my desktop, router is in the living room next to ONT!

5Ghz

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7268474957.png

this router is a beast .... my god, the speed is so damn fast! like a speed demon!

to be fair.. there are routers out there at this price range which can do the same... what makes this router really stand out from the crowd and outshines even its older bigger brother ac88u is its crypto engine and the speed it produces with a vpn client turned on.

kashix 30-04-2018 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Zhan (Post 114118575)
to be fair.. there are routers out there at this price range which can do the same... what makes this router really stand out from the crowd and outshines even its older bigger brother ac88u is its crypto engine and the speed it produces with a vpn client turned on.

of course, what appeals to me is the processor speed of this router, changing settings/powering off/restarting the router makes everything so speedy! :s13:

added 2nd and 3rd speed test result on 5Ghz! my god lol!

3rd speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7268912485.png

Charlie_Zhan 30-04-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kashix (Post 114119008)
of course, what appeals to me is the processor speed of this router, changing settings/powering off/restarting the router makes everything so speedy! :s13:

added 2nd and 3rd speed test result on 5Ghz! my god lol!

3rd speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7268912485.png

are you currently running Merlin wrt and any vpn client on the router?

kashix 30-04-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Zhan (Post 114123034)
are you currently running Merlin wrt and any vpn client on the router?

Bought this for merlin, running latest stable! Not running any VPN at the moment, will update speed on VPN soon haha.

weng 29-05-2018 04:31 AM

I've been using the AC86U with singtel 500M subscription. Running speed test could get quite consistent speeds 300-400++ on both d/l and u/l. Last week finally recontracted to 1G. Upon activation, i found that the speedtest download always peaks at 500+ Mbps, whereas the upload can go up to 900 Mbps. Via wired, both d/l and u/l are quite close at high 900s (means the line is ok right?).

I have tried using the singtel given gigabit ac elite router, same phenomena.

I have cycled through all channels in 5g, same phenomena.

I have tried reboot ONT/router and even hard reset the router, same phenomena. Router settings all default never go meddle.

Above results are using singtel speed test tool. Using ookla speedtest yielded proportionately lower numbers (up to abt 100 diff).

Clients are USB-AC68 and PCE-AC68 on Win10. Each installed on its own and did not co-exist.

Distance between router and client about 5-6m, within line of sight.

Could there be any problem with the router or it's really signal loss? but d/l and u/l 'signalling' different amd modular? I was thinking scarly one out of duno how many d/l modules spoil so stuck at 500ish while u/l ones all working so can hit higher when the subscription allows. :o

xonix 29-05-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weng (Post 114649808)
I've been using the AC86U with singtel 500M subscription. Running speed test could get quite consistent speeds 300-400++ on both d/l and u/l. Last week finally recontracted to 1G. Upon activation, i found that the speedtest download always peaks at 500+ Mbps, whereas the upload can go up to 900 Mbps. Via wired, both d/l and u/l are quite close at high 900s (means the line is ok right?).

I have tried using the singtel given gigabit ac elite router, same phenomena.

I have cycled through all channels in 5g, same phenomena.

I have tried reboot ONT/router and even hard reset the router, same phenomena. Router settings all default never go meddle.

Above results are using singtel speed test tool. Using ookla speedtest yielded proportionately lower numbers (up to abt 100 diff).

Clients are USB-AC68 and PCE-AC68 on Win10. Each installed on its own and did not co-exist.

Distance between router and client about 5-6m, within line of sight.

Could there be any problem with the router or it's really signal loss? but d/l and u/l 'signalling' different amd modular? I was thinking scarly one out of duno how many d/l modules spoil so stuck at 500ish while u/l ones all working so can hit higher when the subscription allows. :o

Something wrong with your testing tool. There's no way your wireless clients can hit 900 over Wi-Fi. 500 for both your clients is already very good speed. Unless you are talking about wired lan speeds from the router.

weng 29-05-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xonix (Post 114654742)
Something wrong with your testing tool. There's no way your wireless clients can hit 900 over Wi-Fi. 500 for both your clients is already very good speed. Unless you are talking about wired lan speeds from the router.

you mean the 500+/- is the normal one and the 900 is bueh zhun one? :s13:

but i used both the singtel website one and ookla leh... didn't change anything. only the ookla one i chose singtel server. using chrome, edge and firefox all same results.

now i just tested... d/l still around 400+ and u/l 600+.

xonix 29-05-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weng (Post 114655304)
you mean the 500+/- is the normal one and the 900 is bueh zhun one? :s13:

but i used both the singtel website one and ookla leh... didn't change anything. only the ookla one i chose singtel server. using chrome, edge and firefox all same results.

now i just tested... d/l still around 400+ and u/l 600+.

Testing results from hardware-canucks review back in 2013: