HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #466
Supremacy Member

this router release almost 2 years already.. you see the first post of this thread also know liao.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Sorry my bad, I thought it was relatively new as I bought it quite late haha. 2 years still ok bah I think. 68U even longer but still a very viable choice of router even for the standard now. If not really need "flagship router" ? Hahaha

Sent from Google PIXEL 3A using GAGT
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #467
Master Member

Merlin v.384.12 stable version released today..

kashix likes this.
Charlie_Zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #468
Master Member

Sorry my bad, I thought it was relatively new as I bought it quite late haha. 2 years still ok bah I think. 68U even longer but still a very viable choice of router even for the standard now. If not really need "flagship router" ? Hahaha

this router now got "flagship" version liao.. become rog rapture gt-ac2900...

more RGB more power.

Old 23-06-2019, 01:09 AM   #469
Supremacy Member

this router now got "flagship" version liao.. become rog rapture gt-ac2900...

more RGB more power.

Wow looks good, think I'll buy one hahaha

Old 25-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #470

bought a china set and updated to the latest merlin fw. any settings to take note of? just basic user here
eting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 03:08 AM   #471
Master Member

bought a china set and updated to the latest merlin fw. any settings to take note of? just basic user here
depends on what you want to achieve..

if you know how to SSH into the router + format a USB or HDD drive, create a swap file and run AMTM script which is a shortcut script to install many other useful scripts like these.

Last edited by Charlie_Zhan; 26-06-2019 at 03:11 AM..
Old 27-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #472

depends on what you want to achieve..

if you know how to SSH into the router + format a USB or HDD drive, create a swap file and run AMTM script which is a shortcut script to install many other useful scripts like these.

this looks greek to me...
thx anyways
will just stick to the std settings, only changed the dns
eting72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #473

i dont see a lot of people selling this router on carousell so i guess all of the user of this router is very happy on what they have.

not much issue too heard base on back reading.

It seems ac86 is much better than ac88?
2lits17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #474

May i check, for a normal user, does it matter if i purchase the China or local set? Only difference assuming is only warr nia?

And, reading some reviews from buyers over at lazada or shopee, they say until macham it is so difficult to set up this router? For a IT idiot like me, any chance i can "plug n play" this router after setting up the password for wifi?
kenapa siol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #475

May i check, for a normal user, does it matter if i purchase the China or local set? Only difference assuming is only warr nia?

And, reading some reviews from buyers over at lazada or shopee, they say until macham it is so difficult to set up this router? For a IT idiot like me, any chance i can "plug n play" this router after setting up the password for wifi?
It wont be plug and play. at minimum, will still need to run the “setup wizard“ which would be step by step.
giraffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #476
Arch-Supremacy Member

For us stilling using ac68u

Worth the change if purely for wifi ?
Will be better speed?
Jerroldscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #477
Master Member

i dont see a lot of people selling this router on carousell so i guess all of the user of this router is very happy on what they have.

not much issue too heard base on back reading.

It seems ac86 is much better than ac88?
this 86u seems more like a successor to the 68u in terms of capability and stability, I guess that's also the main reason why Asus have not chose to EOL the 68u and still continues to provide firmware updates given its relatively old age when compared to the 88u which they did otherwise.

comparing to 88u, this 86u has a much more powerful CPU that supports AES-NI hardware acceleration, and most importantly doesn't inherit the dreadful issues of suddenly losing 5ghz connection..

recently I've tested my 86u to run two VPN clients tunnels (created a different subnet on one of the guest network with PIA VPN, another subnet on another guest network with Windscribe VPN) and the main WAN subnet concurrently and it was able to run stable for a week without much hiccups other than a few times when the windscribe server lost connection for brief moments..

Old 08-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #478
Master Member

if it's your first time, 30mins - 1hr should be enough to get your network up and running using default firmware and basic settings.. most of the process is just click next next next..

For us stilling using ac68u

Worth the change if purely for wifi ?
Will be better speed?
if most of your current WLAN clients are equipped with 2x2 N or AC antennas, then the speed increase may not be very significant..

but you will definitely see big increase in speed with clients equipped with 3x3 or 4x4 AC receivers..

if you run OpenVPN client on your router to provide VPN connection for the whole network, then this reason alone is enough for you to upgrade because the speed performance difference is huge.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #479

this 86u seems more like a successor to the 68u in terms of capability and stability, I guess that's also the main reason why Asus have not chose to EOL the 68u and still continues to provide firmware updates given its relatively old age when compared to the 88u which they did otherwise.

comparing to 88u, this 86u has a much more powerful CPU that supports AES-NI hardware acceleration, and most importantly doesn't inherit the dreadful issues of suddenly losing 5ghz connection..

recently I've tested my 86u to run two VPN clients tunnels (created a different subnet on one of the guest network with PIA VPN, another subnet on another guest network with Windscribe VPN) and the main WAN subnet concurrently and it was able to run stable for a week without much hiccups other than a few times when the windscribe server lost connection for brief moments..

Nice feedback bro. I'm planning to buy this router in the near future to upgrade my existing ac66u, with the price it is now its quite a good buy. i just hope Asus/Merlin will support this router for a long long time. lol
2lits17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #480
Supremacy Member

Nice feedback bro. I'm planning to buy this router in the near future to upgrade my existing ac66u, with the price it is now its quite a good buy. i just hope Asus/Merlin will support this router for a long long time. lol
Running Merlin latest stable. Rock solid performance. One of the better router of recent release.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.