HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #556
Arch-Supremacy Member

So tempted to buy

Can anyone guide me how to flash to merlin ?

I wanna use it for openvpn

So tempted buy now man
Jerroldscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #557

So tempted to buy

So tempted buy now man
Can go to Merlin web to download and update the firmware manually
sheena521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #558

Just bought today 256-20-2-30=$204.

20voucher will auto deduct once u add to cart.
2dollar discount get from mediapro

30 bank discount will auto deduct once u key in CC detail there will show
Ok dokz, thank you!
sheena521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:19 PM   #559
Supremacy Member

So tempted to buy

So tempted buy now man
download the latest (only the latest release version 384.13 can support iMesh) from the Asuswrt-Merlin website (https://sourceforge.net/projects/asu...iles/RT-AC86U/). go to Administration -> Firmware Upgrade and upload the merlin file manually. the file should have an extension .w after you unzip the downloaded file.
ccloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #560
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thank u ccloh and sheena
Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #561
Arch-Supremacy Member

Question
Anybody made use of the so called acceleration hardware on openvpn?

Really better speed?
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #562
Master Member

Question
Anybody made use of the so called acceleration hardware on openvpn?

Really better speed?
the AES-in is built-in on the SoC.. there's on and off function.. you'll see it once you set up an OpenVPN client and see speeds on 200+mbps up and down.

previous Asus routers without encryption acceleration would most probably give you around 50mbps.up and down speed if you have OpenVPN client running.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Charlie_Zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #563
Master Member

at that price is considered a steal already given that you are buying locally and legit warranty by Asus. might be able to get cheaper overseas but always run the risk of whether the warranty is an international one or no warranty at all.

i got it at $240+ few months ago with all the vouchers i can get at that time and no regret paying that amount. this monster startup very fast, able to support dual WAN which i am using the function now. can do iMesh also which i also using that feature now. furthermore its iProtection thought might not be the perfect one but very useful in blocking malware, spam, scam, etc. you probably difficult to block those from entering the network especially via the mobile phone channel but this router can block all those from access outward in particular mobile phone where most people don't really install any sort of anti-virys or security app on it. putting a cheap mini octopus fan costing me < $4 i bring the temperature down to 55°C from 70°C+. don't think i can find another router in that price range that serve me well with those features
I've turned off the ai protection feature for privacy reasons.. better to use a dns based blocking like pi hole or nextdns.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #564

I've turned off the ai protection feature for privacy reasons.. better to use a dns based blocking like pi hole or nextdns.

Wouldn't use nextdns if I was privacy cautious either... Routing your DNS through a 3rd party is sketchy no matter how you put it.
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #565
Arch-Supremacy Member

the AES-in is built-in on the SoC.. there's on and off function.. you'll see it once you set up an OpenVPN client and see speeds on 200+mbps up and down.

previous Asus routers without encryption acceleration would most probably give you around 50mbps.up and down speed if you have OpenVPN client running.

Why the need to flash 3rd party firmware ? I though stock firmware already supported OpenVPN ?
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:27 PM   #566
Master Member

Wouldn't use nextdns if I was privacy cautious either... Routing your DNS through a 3rd party is sketchy no matter how you put it.
then go the pi hole route.. nextdns is an alternative to those who doesn't want to use pi hole.. having your dns queries going thru Google or ISP is no better and provides no added benefits either.

Why the need to flash 3rd party firmware ? I though stock firmware already supported OpenVPN ?
too many additional features for me to list. for OpenVPN client features alone, Merlin firmware allows you to add up to 5 profiles, and split tunneling just to list a couple. many of Asus stock firmware improvements and new features implementation are also due to Merlin firmware first using them.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #567

then go the pi hole route.. nextdns is an alternative to those who doesn't want to use pi hole.. having your dns queries going thru Google or ISP is no better and provides no added benefits either.

too many additional features for me to list. for OpenVPN client features alone, Merlin firmware allows you to add up to 5 profiles, and split tunneling just to list a couple. many of Asus stock firmware improvements and new features implementation are also due to Merlin firmware first using them.

Using pihole with selfhousted unbound which seems go be the best consumers can do for now.
-Grift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #568

Just bought today 256-20-2-30=$204.

20voucher will auto deduct once u add to cart.
2dollar discount get from mediapro

30 bank discount will auto deduct once u key in CC detail there will show
i got it at $213 i tried using hsbc card but didn't - $30 so use maybank instead - $20
katsu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #569
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks charlie
If i dun need many profiles
Stock ac86u can hav accelerated speed on openvpn right?

Mean i dun use merlin also can?
Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #570

Anyone having problem connecting to 2.4ghz? It keep saying incorrect password even though i entered the correct password.

Reset the router and tried again but still having the same problem.

Found out it's my phone network issue just reset network and it's working

Last edited by katsu88; 10-09-2019 at 10:04 PM..
katsu88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.