www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/)
-   -   [Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/%5Bmaylyn-networking%5D-asus-rt-ac86u-5678796.html)

hanz170 24-11-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flikmy (Post 111452939)
What speeds were you getting on your phone at the farthest spot when you were using the Asus 87u?

Cannot even get Wifi signal even halfway from the farthest point already no signal, let alone getting any kind of stable 5Ghz. Now at least for the first day, my children feedback is that they get good signals. In fact the Mobile App shows the signal each user got on the Client List, so without them telling me I know how many signal bars they have.

Now will be to monitor for consistency and stability, but with the Orbi RBK53 (uses AC3000 instead of AC2200). What I liked is that there are 4 LAN ports on the Satelite units, this means the user close to the satellite units get to connect upto 4 wired devices.

The monitoring continues.

flikmy 24-11-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanz170 (Post 111453964)
Cannot even get Wifi signal even halfway from the farthest point already no signal, let alone getting any kind of stable 5Ghz. Now at least for the first day, my children feedback is that they get good signals. In fact the Mobile App shows the signal each user got on the Client List, so without them telling me I know how many signal bars they have.

Now will be to monitor for consistency and stability, but with the Orbi RBK53 (uses AC3000 instead of AC2200). What I liked is that there are 4 LAN ports on the Satelite units, this means the user close to the satellite units get to connect upto 4 wired devices.

The monitoring continues.

Sounds good!
Will be getting the RBK50 myself.

Have you tried the handoff, ie when using facetime/video calling and moving from one base to the other base, there shouldn't be any drop-off.

hanz170 24-11-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flikmy (Post 111455400)
Sounds good!
Will be getting the RBK50 myself.

Have you tried the handoff, ie when using facetime/video calling and moving from one base to the other base, there shouldn't be any drop-off.

Good point, will try this out later in the evening making Facetime call in the Hallway and walking towards the farthest point which is being serviced by last Satelite unit.

xonix 24-11-2017 02:54 PM

It's great to hear that you have since resolved your Wi-Fi woes but in the spirit of netiquette, maybe open a new thread to discuss your experience of the product ?

ashcrow 26-11-2017 10:13 AM

http://www.jayceooi.com/asus-rt-ac86u-review/

read from the above review..the performance is almost same as ac68u. looks like i am not gonna upgrade soon.. :o

Odessa 26-11-2017 01:55 PM

Late to this thread.

Is the connection from the Orbi router to the satellite wireless or wired? From the speed you're getting, they are connected wirelessly?

The four Ethernet ports are certainly a convenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanz170 (Post 111446696)
Today, I bought the Netgear Orbi RBK53 at Expo SITEX, got home and replaced the ASUS RT-AC87U totally as the RBK53 Primary set is a Router and it Mesh WiFi to the remote sets (not sure I use correct terms but I am sure you guys know what I mean). It was simple to setup, all I did was follow the Quick Guide instructions and worked first time.

No using 3rd party Firmware blah blah...

So far so good, speed test at the farthest end using iPhone7 got me a Download/Upload of 264.99Mbps/232.06Mbps respectively. As long as the connection is stable I am a happy camper speed is secondary to me. Damn it cost me $899 and no free gifts.

flikmy 27-11-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odessa (Post 111486043)
Late to this thread.

Is the connection from the Orbi router to the satellite wireless or wired? From the speed you're getting, they are connected wirelessly?

The four Ethernet ports are certainly a convenience.

As xonix has mentioned, possibly better to chat about Orbi on this thread:
orbi-good

Odessa 27-11-2017 10:52 AM

My bad. Didn't mean to diverge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flikmy (Post 111499375)
As xonix has mentioned, possibly better to chat about Orbi on this thread:
orbi-good

VacheronLim 16-02-2018 10:15 AM

Any user of AC86U who switched over from AC68U previously?

Contemplating a switch myself, but need to hear if there is any actual performance advantages - signal strength over range etc. Since both models are somewhat similar, but that AC86U has better processor.

Currently on 500Mbps fiber plan, 5 room unit, no complains yet with my AC68U since coverage is pretty sound. Not a very heavy user, 1 PC (wired) & 1 lappie, plus a few smartphones.

Saw a few reviews too, including the one on SNB.

On 2.4Ghz channel, most routers are clustered from channel 1 to 11 so traffic is quite dense since it's HDB environment, will AC86U get an edge since it goes up to channel 13/14 which should experience less traffic?

renfred89 16-02-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VacheronLim (Post 112852852)
Any user of AC86U who switched over from AC68U previously?

Contemplating a switch myself, but need to hear if there is any actual performance advantages - signal strength over range etc. Since both models are somewhat similar, but that AC86U has better processor.

Currently on 500Mbps fiber plan, 5 room unit, no complains yet with my AC68U since coverage is pretty sound. Not a very heavy user, 1 PC (wired) & 1 lappie, plus a few smartphones.

Saw a few reviews too, including the one on SNB.

On 2.4Ghz channel, most routers are clustered from channel 1 to 11 so traffic is quite dense since it's HDB environment, will AC86U get an edge since it goes up to channel 13/14 which should experience less traffic?

its true that traffic is rather congested for 2.4Ghz but it doesn't mean its unusable. Also, local AC86U units don't think can support anything more than channel 11.

You might wanna consider using 5Ghz first for your devices as 5Ghz usually get confined within one household and seldom interferes with another, not as extensive as 2.4Ghz...

dryteletubby 16-02-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renfred89 (Post 112853397)
its true that traffic is rather congested for 2.4Ghz but it doesn't mean its unusable. Also, local AC86U units don't think can support anything more than channel 11.

You might wanna consider using 5Ghz first for your devices as 5Ghz usually get confined within one household and seldom interferes with another, not as extensive as 2.4Ghz...

If your device is FCC certified (for sale in the US) , it won't have channels 12,13 for 2.4ghz. Most local routers will have 12 and 13 channel support. My old Asus rt n56u and my unifi ap AC pro supports those channels.

trenzterra 23-02-2018 11:52 PM

Just wondering, on AC86U is there a way to check your IPv6 WAN address from the router interface?

finalforce 24-02-2018 12:17 AM

I did a quick look, can see from system log - > IPv6

Sent from HTC U11 using GAGT

Yuuki84 09-03-2018 02:21 PM

Have just gotten the AC86U recently and encountered issues with the IPTV after setup. I've came across a few solutions online, tried them, but the problem still persists. Wonder if you guys have any ideas?

The issue is "DHCP not functioning properly" after I have switched on the IPTV during configuration.
  • Configuration steps were followed:
  • ONR and Router was powered off (Fibre to ONR LAN 1)
  • ONR and Router turned on and went into Router GUI on PC and followed instructions to setup
  • Selected "Automatic IP", "SingTel-Others" etc.
  • WAN status starts to show "DHCP not functioning properly"

Assuming if I switched off IPTV, the router works fine. Also called SingTel and verified that my internet connection is up, so I guess issue lies with the router?

I am not a networking expert but the steps looks simply enough to follow. Is there anything which I could have missed out?

Much thanks.

(I'm using SingTel Fibre 1GB and Asus Router Firmware is 300438420308)

Ah-Pin-Kor 09-03-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuuki84 (Post 113192979)
Have just gotten the AC86U recently and encountered issues with the IPTV after setup. I've came across a few solutions online, tried them, but the problem still persists. Wonder if you guys have any ideas?

The issue is "DHCP not functioning properly" after I have switched on the IPTV during configuration.
  • Configuration steps were followed:
  • ONR and Router was powered off (Fibre to ONR LAN 1)
  • ONR and Router turned on and went into Router GUI on PC and followed instructions to setup
  • Selected "Automatic IP", "SingTel-Others" etc.
  • WAN status starts to show "DHCP not functioning properly"

Assuming if I switched off IPTV, the router works fine. Also called SingTel and verified that my internet connection is up, so I guess issue lies with the router?

I am not a networking expert but the steps looks simply enough to follow. Is there anything which I could have missed out?

Much thanks.

(I'm using SingTel Fibre 1GB and Asus Router Firmware is 300438420308)

Connect your miotv set top box directly to any of the ONR lan ports. The ONR has an IPTV LED that will show the status of the IPTV connection.

You are using ONR so the internet frames are already untagged so you shouldn't be using any of the singtel presets in the Asus router. You can use your Asus router either in AP mode or router mode. If you want to use as router mode, you will have an additional layer of nat, so you have to ensure the Asus router LAN IP is not 192.168.1.x (usually it is 192.168.1.1), as that will clash with the network of the ONR. If it is, change the Asus LAN IP to another network like 192.168.10.1. Then connect the asus WAN port to any lan port of the ONR.

You can refer to the whizcomms faq #24 (they use the singtel ONR also):
https://www.whizcomms.com.sg/faq/