[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

m0neytree

Reaction score
Any heat issue with RT88U? My current 87U has v bad heat problem, and 5ghz signals will be gone if over-heated... -.-

Farish

Reaction score
Any heat issue with RT88U? My current 87U has v bad heat problem, and 5ghz signals will be gone if over-heated... -.-

I have moved from a 87U to the new 88u. Even with the very new firmware which hasn’t had time to mature yet, there are no problems with overheating or with the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band. It has been smooth sailing for the last 1 week or so.

Only exception is WTFast not working but according to the folks at WTFast, the service is in beta so expect problems for the time being.

vagus1978

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading from AC68U. Few questions here:

1) I read that port 1 & 2 can be link aggregated, any chance that the other 6 ports have chance of link aggregation using 3rd party firmware like merlin's?

2) Currently i am link aggregating from my synology NAS to my managed switch. If I am to get the AC88U, I should be link aggregating from the router straight to the switch right? Or is there not going to be much difference if I link aggregate from AC88U to my synology NAS and just have a single ethernet gigabit connection down to the switch?

3) From AC68U to AC88U, is there anyway to simply save a configuration file and reupload for the upgrade? Lazy to re-setup my Synology port forwardings and Wifi-MAC restrictions.

Thanks!

TehNooB

Master Member
Reaction score
Currently eyeing either 88u or 68u. Considering QoS and bandwidth management, which one should I get?

Is it worth paying more for 88u? I do not need range (four room hdb) or blazing fast transfer speed. Just need to handle 4-5 wirelessly connected streaming devices without a sweat and lag when I play game..

Currently on singnet unlimited and netgear basic router. These cant handle my current usage.

Any laojiaos can advise me?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading from AC68U. Few questions here:

1) I read that port 1 & 2 can be link aggregated, any chance that the other 6 ports have chance of link aggregation using 3rd party firmware like merlin's?

2) Currently i am link aggregating from my synology NAS to my managed switch. If I am to get the AC88U, I should be link aggregating from the router straight to the switch right? Or is there not going to be much difference if I link aggregate from AC88U to my synology NAS and just have a single ethernet gigabit connection down to the switch?

3) From AC68U to AC88U, is there anyway to simply save a configuration file and reupload for the upgrade? Lazy to re-setup my Synology port forwardings and Wifi-MAC restrictions.

Thanks!

1). Not possible, the other 4 GbE (Port 5 to 8) is not configurable. Link Aggregation is purely to boost higher WiFi transfer between multiple WiFi devices between the NAS.

2). You can continue to use your existing setup (Synology NAS ~> 2Gbps LAN ~> your managed switch ~ 2Gbps LAN ~> 2x dual/quad GbE port @ your PC and the WAN will be 1Gbps.

3). Ah-Pin-Kor has answered your question :)

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
RMerlin's 380.57 alpha test builds are out for all ASUS Broadcom based Routers until some time in Dec for next.

[Preview] 380.57 alpha test builds for all models

Hi everyone,

I don't know when I'll be able to wrap up an actual release (probably won't until some time in December), so I decided for the time being to upload test builds on Mediafire.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49//Test Builds

While I won't be answering most of the reports posted in the thread, I will be reading every one of them. I'm mostly interested in reading feedback about the new DNSSec support, what might have been fixed (or broken) in Asus's 378_858 code.

A factory default reset is not required if coming from 378.56_2. If you run into any odd issue, then do go ahead and proceed with a factory default reset, in case you might be carrying on some old issues.

Note that these builds have received NO extended testing so far, aside from the RT-AC88U build. Also, the changelog isn't complete yet, you might need to check the Github commit for the details of what was changed (those builds were generated on November 23rd):

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commits/master

Thanks.

fmradio

Reaction score
Anyone thinks upgrading from AC87U to AC88U is justified? Ever since I changed to AC87U, I am finding random disconnects fluctuating speeds on VQ 1GBPS. And when running speed test typical speeds was like 200+ mbps. Its disappointing. Was using AC66U with M1/200 previously, not sure the speed is a problem with the ISP or what, but I found no such issues and could hit 200 with the old setup I am using a PCE-AC66 on the PC.

To be honest, all these new models for routers keep pushing out, I don't even know which USB or PCE adaptors can match the new speeds of these routers. The fastest I saw was the Dlink Death Star? So its like .. Grr need to waste money or not. Zzzz

Last edited:

m3tpe

Reaction score
Anyone thinks upgrading from AC87U to AC88U is justified? Ever since I changed to AC87U, I am finding random disconnects fluctuating speeds on VQ 1GBPS. And when running speed test typical speeds was like 200+ mbps. Its disappointing. Was using AC66U with M1/200 previously, not sure the speed is a problem with the ISP or what, but I found no such issues and could hit 200 with the old setup I am using a PCE-AC66 on the PC.

To be honest, all these new models for routers keep pushing out, I don't even know which USB or PCE adaptors can match the new speeds of these routers. The fastest I saw was the Dlink Death Star? So its like .. Grr need to waste money or not. Zzzz

Don't know.. I'm from the US and currently using the ac87u at home.
My house is 4500sqft and I want to see if the ac88 would provide better speed for the same range. So I found a Black Friday sale today for $171 shipped after california taxes. Price is too low to not buy as upgrade. Too bad the ac87 doesn't have a repeater mode using wireless.

Anyone have a picture of the bottom of the ac88u? Are the holes for wall mounting easier to access compared to ac87? The ac87 require some special sized screws in order to mount it. Was wondering if they did the same for ac88u.

Last edited:

sgbest

Reaction score
How is ASUS RT-AC88U wireless coverage compared to AC87U or 68U

How is ASUS RT-AC88U wireless coverage compared to AC87U or 68U? read so many posts, seems no one actually did a review on the wireless coverage, which is the most important spec, isn't it?

sgbest

Reaction score
Since no body reply, I went to sitex just now and bought one, the guy selling it says coverage is about 30% better than my asus 68u, so I trusted him. now I just power on the new AC88U router and did a quick test. My God! the signal is even worse than my 68u. weak signal place signal still weak, and even weaker.

I strongly suggest no buy for this router if you are looking for stronger signal!!!

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since no body reply, I went to sitex just now and bought one, the guy selling it says coverage is about 30% better than my asus 68u, so I trusted him. now I just power on the new AC88U router and did a quick test. My God! the signal is even worse than my 68u. weak signal place signal still weak, and even weaker.

I strongly suggest no buy for this router if you are looking for stronger signal!!!

Please lor.. you must know how wifi works what.. 30% more coverage doesn't mean will improve in your environment.. for me, ac88u increased my throughput more than ac3200 leh..

guards80

Reaction score

hmm still new. wait for few firmware later will be better. same as me bought a ac5300. signal also not strong then AC87U. at 1st ac87u also signal worse. but few firmware later will be better. so im sure your ac88u or ac5300 few new firmware later will be what u need:)

m0neytree

Reaction score
Just bought a set from Sitex. Currently free either a gaming mouse or headset. Selected the headset and its very good.....

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thanks for the link! i am very turned on by the information in this link, the reviewer put too much effort in reviewing the product with great numerical and graphical data.

i didn't scrutinise all data exactly, but generallyy i would say its kinda impressive..

if only i could offload my ac3200 for the purchase of ac88u...

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link! i am very turned on by the information in this link, the reviewer put too much effort in reviewing the product with great numerical and graphical data.

i didn't scrutinise all data exactly, but generallyy i would say its kinda impressive..

if only i could offload my ac3200 for the purchase of ac88u...

$250 have buyer ..... Chop and signed...:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.