HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Like Tree404Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #901

So in AP mode will be fine? Haha. Do you know the ETA? Cause it appears that AC68 & 87U have already received the update. Btw, are you JK? Haha. Or you have some sort of relationship with Asus R&D department?

It will be fixed in the upcoming 3xxx versions. I'm using 3104 and it's working fine..
evildoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #902
Master Member

So in AP mode will be fine? Haha. Do you know the ETA? Cause it appears that AC68 & 87U have already received the update. Btw, are you JK? Haha. Or you have some sort of relationship with Asus R&D department?
Renfred89 isn't JK and he is one of the few ASUS TW networking power user which help ASUS TW RD to test the routers' firmware.

+ many thanks to Renfred89 for helping out in answering in my ASUS routers thread.

Nevertheless something newer from ASUS TW is coming , (already got the green light from ASUS TW, which i can reveal the SKU) but specifications/performance/sales date/price are still currently under embargo until further notice.

~ Teaser ~

ASUS BRT-AC828M2 router

ASUS BRT-AC828 is a high-end wireless router, succeeded from its previous generation. The new model is embedded with duo-chip processor set, sharply decrease the disconnecting failure and greatly improve the transmitting performance. The hidden venting holes are well integrated inside the aerodynamic top case design, optimizing the cooling channel. The side profile and 3D pattern is designed to imitate the visible air flow, enhancing its air dynamic and powerful product image. To discover in more detail, the metallic antenna core can be found through the delicate split cut, revealing the boundless data transmission. The entire design is shaped and trimmed by multiple and neat surfaces, showing the perfect match of authentic and extraordinary performance. The ASUS BRT-AC828/M2 is aiming at top-class users, performs even more beyond expectation.
From ~> http://red-dot-21.com/design/asus-brt-ac828/

SaruwatariShun likes this.

Last edited by maylyn; 27-05-2016 at 08:38 PM..
maylyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #903
Arch-Supremacy Member

As mentioned by maylyn, I'm just a small shrimp. The lobster here is maylyn. Hahas
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #904

My guess during Comptex, they will reveal the product? But i do certainly hope that they will concentrate on their current product and fix those bugs and firmware before releasing a newer version. The money I paid for 3 RT88U has not justify its price tag in my point of view. If they don't fix their current products, current users will just stop buying Asus.

RT88U should be one of their best products as according to chinese culture '88' is a lucky number. I do certainly hope they would release a new stable and good firmware soon!

Renfred89 isn't JK and he is one of the few ASUS TW networking power user which help ASUS TW RD to test the routers' firmware.

+ many thanks to Renfred89 for helping out in answering in my ASUS routers thread.

Nevertheless something newer is from ASUS TW is coming , (already got the green light from ASUS TW, which i can reveal the SKU) but specifications/performance/sales date/price are still currently under embargo until further notice.

~ Teaser ~

ASUS BRT-AC828M2 router

From ~> http://red-dot-21.com/design/asus-brt-ac828/

Old 27-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #905
Arch-Supremacy Member

My guess during Comptex, they will reveal the product? But i do certainly hope that they will concentrate on their current product and fix those bugs and firmware before releasing a newer version. The money I paid for 3 RT88U has not justify its price tag in my point of view. If they don't fix their current products, current users will just stop buying Asus.

RT88U should be one of their best products as according to chinese culture '88' is a lucky number. I do certainly hope they would release a new stable and good firmware soon!
Ac828 is not your ordinary sit at home router. It belongs to SMB(small medium business) enterprise grade router. It won't sit on par with ac88u..

Asus r&d got many teams, new product release doesn't mean older products will have a drop in support..
Old 27-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #906

Ac828 is not your ordinary sit at home router. It belongs to SMB(small medium business) enterprise grade router. It won't sit on par with ac88u..

Asus r&d got many teams, new product release doesn't mean older products will have a drop in support..
Hopefully have 10G as WAN port…
Farish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #907
Master Member

ASUS TW will announce this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 router during Computex Taipei 2016.

As for the ASUS RT-AC88U firmware, ASUS TW ASUS RT-AC88U RD team will be releasing the next version soon, probably next week or after.

I will post in this thread when the firmware goes live.
Old 27-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #908
Master Member

Hopefully have 10G as WAN port…
HuaWei EchoLife HN8055Q not enough for you for your 10Gbps Fiber?

HuaWei EchoLife HN8055Q does have pretty comprehensive GUI which allows one to configure almost all standard stuff, (Port Forwarding, DMZ, Static IP Configuration, Route, DHCP server blah blah)

Can even do Layer 2/3 port configuration

NetFlix SG ~ Fast

Farish likes this.

Last edited by maylyn; 27-05-2016 at 09:03 PM..
maylyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #909

Although these new models/announcments are great, I wish there would be more prompt updates to this router, and fix what they already have on the market first, instead of pushing out new models when current ones still have many issues. Same thing happened after the AC87U was released..

When can we expect the next FW to drop? Other models already have new firmwares. QOS (adaptive/traditional) still have issues and users would like to see them addressed and fixed.

Last edited by jbodean96; 27-05-2016 at 10:08 PM..
jbodean96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 03:09 AM   #910

Although these new models/announcments are great, I wish there would be more prompt updates to this router, and fix what they already have on the market first, instead of pushing out new models when current ones still have many issues. Same thing happened after the AC87U was released..

When can we expect the next FW to drop? Other models already have new firmwares. QOS (adaptive/traditional) still have issues and users would like to see them addressed and fixed.
Totally agree with you man! But technology is advancing quite fast and companies just want to release new product and get the consumer money. I believe the R&D team at Asus are doing a good job but the problem lies with the management. It's always about the 💰💰💰 And I think they start to being a bit cocky le or rather complacent. They thought they are the king of networking. If there were to be a financial crisis , I believe Asus routers will be back to the good old days. Because people won't have money buying those high end models. Or rather newer models. So they have to suck thumb and invest more time on their current models instead of investing in a new product.
jbodean96 likes this.
Old 28-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #911
Master Member

Nub question. Should I set my 5ghz bandwidth to 20, 40 or 80mhz for best speed?

I have no coverage issues across my whole house, just want best speed and latency.

Not worried about backward compatibility on this Ssid too
jackycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 05:57 AM   #912

3.0.0.4.380.3341 just released for AC88 (Nothing for RT3100 yet though)

ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

Security Fixed
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2110 (Man in the middle attacks possible with NTLMSSP)
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2111 (NETLOGON Spoofing Vulnerability)
- ASUS firmware did not enable Samba LDAP, and not affected by CVE-2016-2112 (LDAP client and server don't enforce integrity) issue.
- The Samba version in ASUS firmware was not affected by
CVE-2016-2118 (SAMR and LSA man in the middle attacks possible)
CVE-2015-5370 (Multiple errors in DCE-RPC code)
- Fixed command injection issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.
- Fixed XSS issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed Windows Radius server compatibility issues.
- Fixed 5G performance issue when using bandwidth monitor.
- Fixed bandwidth monitor incorrect number problem.
- Fixed setup wizard redirect issue when router automatically changed LAN IP in IP conflict case.
- Modified setup wizard process when router detected DHCP and PPPoE at the same time.
- Fixed bandwidth limiter bug when there are multiple clients in rule list.
- Fixed NTP automatically sync issue when router rebooted
- Fixed Safari slow response issue.
- Enhance AiCloud dynamic stream port mechanism (please also keep AiCloud app up to date)
- Fixed AiCloud share link related issues.

Last edited by jbodean96; 28-05-2016 at 06:37 AM..
jbodean96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #913
Master Member

3.0.0.4.380.3341 just released for AC88 (Nothing for RT3100 yet though)

ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

Security Fixed
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2110 (Man in the middle attacks possible with NTLMSSP)
- Fixed Samba Badlock CVE-2016-2111 (NETLOGON Spoofing Vulnerability)
- ASUS firmware did not enable Samba LDAP, and not affected by CVE-2016-2112 (LDAP client and server don't enforce integrity) issue.
CVE-2016-2118 (SAMR and LSA man in the middle attacks possible)
CVE-2015-5370 (Multiple errors in DCE-RPC code)
- Fixed command injection issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.
- Fixed XSS issue. Thanks for Chris' contribution.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed Windows Radius server compatibility issues.
- Fixed 5G performance issue when using bandwidth monitor.
- Fixed bandwidth monitor incorrect number problem.
- Fixed setup wizard redirect issue when router automatically changed LAN IP in IP conflict case.
- Modified setup wizard process when router detected DHCP and PPPoE at the same time.
- Fixed bandwidth limiter bug when there are multiple clients in rule list.
- Fixed NTP automatically sync issue when router rebooted
- Fixed Safari slow response issue.
- Enhance AiCloud dynamic stream port mechanism (please also keep AiCloud app up to date)
- Fixed AiCloud share link related issues.
ASUS RT-AC3100 SKU is exclusive to Best Buy US only, no other region is carrying this particular SKU which includes Singapore.

Otherwise it's identical specs like the ASUS RT-AC88U, only it's has only 4x GbE LAN ports as compared 8x GbE LAN ports and different antenna colour.

ASUS RT-AC88U 3.0.0.4.380.3341 download link @ ~> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wir...751.1461628607
Old 28-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #914

ASUS RT-AC3100 SKU is exclusive to Best Buy US only, no other region is carrying this particular SKU which includes Singapore.

Otherwise it's identical specs like the ASUS RT-AC88U, only it's has only 4x GbE LAN ports as compared 8x GbE LAN ports and different antenna colour.

ASUS RT-AC88U 3.0.0.4.380.3341 download link @ ~> http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wir...751.1461628607
Is hard reset required?
maldito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #915
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is hard reset required?
Hard reset is recommended.. do it at your own discretion lor..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.