HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ZenWiFi XT8

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #316
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any benefit if most of my clients are still on AC? Ip camera still on N. Haizz
Time to change your IP camera? There are so many inexpensive ones around right now. with higher resolution and all. no reason not to change.
FlushX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #317
Arch-Supremacy Member

No more liao lo. Only for the first 49 customers. If you stack the right vouchers on Lazada, you should be able to get it at the lowest price. They do release some higher $ of vouchers randomly.

Like that isn’t having the portable hard drive more worth it? Can sell how much that drive? Wonder still have or not lol
FlushX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #318

Optimised setup

Hi all, need some advise on my XT8 setup. I’m currently using the AC5300 to be connected to the nucleus connect box. The 2 XT8 is connected to the AC5300 with AiMesh. The wifi setup is on 3 different SSID. This setup only allows me to configure setting through the AC5300 web interface and I’m not able to configure the XT8 at all.

With this when I connect to my iPhone 11 pro max, I can only get 400 mbps odd range of speed. Not sure my phone is connected to the wifi 6 signal or not. My other non-wifi 6 devices can also achieve this speed so I suspect my iPhone not connected to the wifi 6 signal.

My fiber box is in the storeroom so I can put the XT8 inside to connect to the box as this will “waste” it with reduce signal.

Is there any other way to setup this for better speed connection? Thanks in advance for advise rendered.
mwwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 01:08 AM   #319
Master Member

Time to change your IP camera? There are so many inexpensive ones around right now. with higher resolution and all. no reason not to change.
Majorities of the newer ip camera also using N only.
consigliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 01:30 AM   #320
Supremacy Member

Hi all, need some advise on my XT8 setup. I’m currently using the AC5300 to be connected to the nucleus connect box. The 2 XT8 is connected to the AC5300 with AiMesh. The wifi setup is on 3 different SSID. This setup only allows me to configure setting through the AC5300 web interface and I’m not able to configure the XT8 at all.

With this when I connect to my iPhone 11 pro max, I can only get 400 mbps odd range of speed. Not sure my phone is connected to the wifi 6 signal or not. My other non-wifi 6 devices can also achieve this speed so I suspect my iPhone not connected to the wifi 6 signal.

My fiber box is in the storeroom so I can put the XT8 inside to connect to the box as this will “waste” it with reduce signal.

Is there any other way to setup this for better speed connection? Thanks in advance for advise rendered.
Your bottleneck is the ac5300 if you’re linking to the XT8 via aimesh via wireless. If your ac5300 is connected to the XT8 by lan, should be able to get wifi 6 speeds.
kashix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #321

Your bottleneck is the ac5300 if you’re linking to the XT8 via aimesh via wireless. If your ac5300 is connected to the XT8 by lan, should be able to get wifi 6 speeds.
Thanks for the respond. My 2 XT8 is connected by LAN cable as backhaul in the living room and bedroom. Under the AC5300, I can see the 2 CT8 connected with the LAN icon.

Have also asked the Telco to reset the fiber broadband connection but result still the same. Just wondering factory resetting the 2 XT8 will help or not.
mwwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #322
Supremacy Member

Weird. I opened up my 5ghz-2 band and set wireless mode to AX only. Somehow my non ax laptop can see the network and even joined -_-??

Now my both phones can get ax speed liao with the following setup.
- wired backhaul
- connect to 2nd 5ghz band only
- set the wireless mode to AX only
- auto channel including dfs (i need to do this to achieve high speed test, i tried setting 20/40/80mhz and specific channel but couldn't get the speed)

S20 Ultra on 2nd floor connected to wired node

Iphone 11 Pro Max on 2nd floor connected to wired node

Last edited by athenodorus; 26-03-2020 at 09:46 AM..
athenodorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #323
Arch-Supremacy Member

Reason is probably the main 2.4 and 5.0 ghz are 2x2 antennas. Only the backhaul 5.0ghz is using 5x4 antennas.

It's listed clearly on the specifications
xonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #324
Supremacy Member

Weird. I opened up my 5ghz-2 band and set wireless mode to AX only. Somehow my non ax laptop can see the network and even joined -_-??

Now my both phones can get ax speed liao with the following setup.
- wired backhaul
- connect to 2nd 5ghz band only
- set the wireless mode to AX only
- auto channel including dfs (i need to do this to achieve high speed test, i tried setting 20/40/80mhz and specific channel but couldn't get the speed)

S20 Ultra on 2nd floor connected to wired node

Iphone 11 Pro Max on 2nd floor connected to wired node
This is some impressive results
Old 26-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #325
Supremacy Member

This is some impressive results
Ya i'm happy now with the xt8. With this setup, not only the speed is there, so far the phones still gets connected (although signal not strong) in my dead spot toilet. Previously on the 1st 5ghz band, they will likely to drop/intermittent dc.

Now i'm curious why my non ax laptop can connect to the 2nd 5ghz band despite setting wireless mode to AX only.
Old 26-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #326
Supremacy Member

Ya i'm happy now with the xt8. With this setup, not only the speed is there, so far the phones still gets connected (although signal not strong) in my dead spot toilet. Previously on the 1st 5ghz band, they will likely to drop/intermittent dc.

Now i'm curious why my non ax laptop can connect to the 2nd 5ghz band despite setting wireless mode to AX only.
Probably still not so refined firmware as XT8 released not long & this 2nd 5ghz is not very seldom used for normal users as that band is hidden and usually reserved as backhaul. A lot of advanced users here. can you check your laptop link rate to the wifi? How fast is your laptop being connected at?

Old 26-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #327
Supremacy Member

Probably still not so refined firmware as XT8 released not long & this 2nd 5ghz is not very seldom used for normal users as that band is hidden and usually reserved as backhaul. A lot of advanced users here. can you check your laptop link rate to the wifi? How fast is your laptop being connected at?

Link rate for my laptop is 866.7mbps.
Old 26-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #328
Supremacy Member

Link rate for my laptop is 866.7mbps.
Your laptop running AC 2x2 only or rather it’s negotiated only to AC mode.
Nevertheless, it's really fast enough for most usage liao.

Last edited by kashix; 26-03-2020 at 03:08 PM..
Old 26-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #329

Hi All,
I am interested in getting 1 set of ZenWiFi XT8 and AX-88U to replace my Linksys AC router which is paired to another 2 Linksys routers (set-up as AP). Cannot really remember the Linksys models but 1 of them is EA8500.

Will it have a better coverage and speed?. I find that my current setup still have some weak WiFi spots.

Will it be easy to setup the system as I am not exactly really tech-savvy. I usually will try to let it run in default setting with minimal tweaking. I have not much knowledge on complicated tweaking of setting.

My current router is on 1st level while 2nd and 3rd level is using APs connected via ethernet cables. I am thinking of changing to Asus mesh system for easier setup and hopefully better speed and coverage but I am wondering whether it will have problem detecting the nodes which will be placed on 2nd and 3rd level.

Another reason of why i am thinking of changing to Mesh system is that I am worried once the ethernet cables start to develop problem as it age, I would not have the skill to replace the cables as part of it is laid outdoor in a trunking which will be hard for me to replace.

Please advice. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
aurorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #330
Supremacy Member

Hi All,
I am interested in getting 1 set of ZenWiFi XT8 and AX-88U to replace my Linksys AC router which is paired to another 2 Linksys routers (set-up as AP). Cannot really remember the Linksys models but 1 of them is EA8500.

Will it have a better coverage and speed?. I find that my current setup still have some weak WiFi spots.

Will it be easy to setup the system as I am not exactly really tech-savvy. I usually will try to let it run in default setting with minimal tweaking. I have not much knowledge on complicated tweaking of setting.

My current router is on 1st level while 2nd and 3rd level is using APs connected via ethernet cables. I am thinking of changing to Asus mesh system for easier setup and hopefully better speed and coverage but I am wondering whether it will have problem detecting the nodes which will be placed on 2nd and 3rd level.

Another reason of why i am thinking of changing to Mesh system is that I am worried once the ethernet cables start to develop problem as it age, I would not have the skill to replace the cables as part of it is laid outdoor in a trunking which will be hard for me to replace.

Please advice. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Definitely. Linksys router’s range in recent years was really not very good. I had a WRT1900ACS awhile back, I was so disappointed that I sold it after testing for a day. Your existing setup no problem, the Asus aimesh can link via your existing ethernet cabling or you could link them up using wireless if your existing cabling starts to give you problem. The XT8 and AX88 has a lot of favourable reviews and satisfaction from a lot of the local users, myself included. Will strongly recommend you to get them. Check your PM btw. Have dropped you an message.

XT8 and AX88U scored very well in both range/coverage, ease of use and performance.
Personally, running AX88U myself, my Wi-Fi speed don't get anywhere below 700mbps. Highest I was able to get was around 9xxmbps.

Last edited by kashix; 26-03-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.