[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ZenWiFi XT8

consigliere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

my new XT8 i can get 900plus mbps on my PC with LAN but i can't seems to get anywhere near that speed with wifi, may i know whats the problem?

I am using iphone 11 to test on 5G usually get only 100-600mbps. Anything wroon with my settings??

also how do i find the option to change to region to u 160mhz?

Thanks.

Iphone 11 don’t support 160 MHz so don’t bother. But at 80 MHz on AX should be fast also

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Iphone 11 don’t support 160 MHz so don’t bother. But at 80 MHz on AX should be fast also

i have changed the region to USA but i still cant change the bandwidth to 80mhz, any other settings i need to change?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

Hi

I just set the node to 5GHz-2 to 160MHz wireless backhaul and I have some questions regarding the photos attached

gHOMd85.jpg

6UuLjgb.jpg

uVU3uOq.jpg

Are they correct? That is the 1st picture shows when connected with the node in wireless backhaul mode? The 2nd picture shows my router with solid WHITE light. The 3rd picture shows the node in solid BLUE light ie. NOT WHITE. Is the solid BLUE color correct?

Please see continuation below

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

My set up in wireless backhaul with devices is as below

k9nudlO.png

TMxsDsj.png

Questions

Since I'm forcing the 5GHz-2 to 160MHz only

1) Samsung Galaxy Fold supports WiFi6 which has built-in 160MHz channel bandwidth support
2) The Huawei Mate 20X connects to 160MHz even though it doesn't support WiFi6. That's because the Kirin 980 CPU supports it. I believe once it detects the 160MHz it priortize its connection and NOT connecting to other 5GHz-1 channel bandwidths

https://www.hihonor.com/in/tech/kirin980/

3) My LG GRAM 17 2020 laptop is using the Intel WiFi 6 AX201 160MHz card

So it's correct to set the 5GHz-2 to 160MHz only, right?

Thanks

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Inside the official WiFi standards, there are 160mhz channels for both WiFi 5 and WiFi 6.

Some WiFi 5 device do support but most don't. Same with WiFi 6, depend whether manufacturer implement in their device.

Since you are on WiFi backhaul, I recommend you don't share with a lot devices, it will eat into the bandwidth.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Inside the official WiFi standards, there are 160mhz channels for both WiFi 5 and WiFi 6.

Some WiFi 5 device do support but most don't. Same with WiFi 6, depend whether manufacturer implement in their device.

Since you are on WiFi backhaul, I recommend you don't share with a lot devices, it will eat into the bandwidth.

You are right. Just read from below. Thanks

https://www.tech21century.com/802-11ax-wifi6-explained/

Last edited:

hkingx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does XT8 work if i pair it with a "Master" asus router which have AIMesh?

consigliere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just set the node to 5GHz-2 to 160MHz wireless backhaul and I have some questions regarding the photos attached

Are they correct? That is the 1st picture shows when connected with the node in wireless backhaul mode? The 2nd picture shows my router with solid WHITE light. The 3rd picture shows the node in solid BLUE light ie. NOT WHITE. Is the solid BLUE color correct?

Please see continuation below

You are using ethernet backhaul or wireless backhaul to connect the 2 nodes. If using wireless backhaul you should hide the ssid. The led on 2 nodes should be white when functioning normally. The map can only see one of your xt8

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

You are using ethernet backhaul or wireless backhaul to connect the 2 nodes. If using wireless backhaul you should hide the ssid. The led on 2 nodes should be white when functioning normally. The map can only see one of your xt8

I'm using wireless backhaul. Why the need to hide the SSID? My this 5GHz-2 SSID is set differently from that of the 5GHz-1 and the 2.4GHz-1 SSIDs. That is I have 3x different SSIDs. If hidden can my devices detect it?

But the map shows ZenWiFi AX with a 2 presumbly the router and node together instead of series in mesh mode. Is there a node if you connect in backhaul mode for my AiMesh Node is 0(zero) when connected in wireless backhaul?

I have no idea why the node shows a BLUE LED. Initially, it was flashing BLUE then I did a reset on the node and now it becomes solid BLUE

Before that I wasn't using wireless backhaul and the node is connected to the router in series. Now, it shows both together. That's why I was asking whether is this connection correct?

What about you? Are you using wireless or ethernet backhaul? Can show your connection map?

Thanks for your reply

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

OK, just restore the router to factory default and reset the node and now both the router and the node are getting solid WHITE lights.

YVaP4fJ.jpg

6Nt1EVX.png

So is the connection in the first picture correct. I'm using wireless backhaul and have set the 5GHz-2 to 160MHz only

In this case ALL devices are connected to the router and NONE to the node. Is this correct or that 5GHz-2 devices should connect to the node ONLY?

Anybody can comment? Thanks

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody has problem connecting to IP cameras. Reset reset and reset IP cams also cannot connect leh. Dismantled my IP Cams and using wireless and LAN also cannot connect

Using SAMSUNG IP Cams for many years leow no issue in connection with previous routers.

Last edited:

mattchlai

Reaction score
Anybody has problem connecting to IP cameras. Reset reset and reset IP cams also cannot connect leh. Dismantled my IP Cams and using wireless and LAN also cannot connect

Using SAMSUNG IP Cams for many years leow no issue in connection with previous routers.

Most of the IP cameras only work with 2.4GHz. I got the same problem before and my solution is to temporarily switch off the 5GHz Frequency on the nodes and let the cameras connecting to 2.4GHz frequency only. Once they connected then enable the 5GHz frequency again. It’s weird but it works for me.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.