[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

Farish

Reaction score
After a day or so with the new firmware, had to revert back to the old firmware version. New firmware caused my WiFi/LAN-WAN traffic to slow to a crawl.. Any others with similar issues?

Currently on Viewqwest's 2gbps multi-network plan.

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Did u perform a reset without restoring a saved config file?

Nope, I I did not. Is it a must for this firmware?

For every major firmware upgrade, it is a good habit to factory reset and reconfigure everything from scratch to avoid any configuration problems.

Usually, issues arising from new firmware update can be resolved by factory resetting and configure everything again.

If after factory resetting and reconfiguring everything, issue persists, then maybe can PM Maylyn and inform about the issue or post it here to ask for help.

Farish

Reaction score
For every major firmware upgrade, it is a good habit to factory reset and reconfigure everything from scratch to avoid any configuration problems.

Usually, issues arising from new firmware update can be resolved by factory resetting and configure everything again.

If after factory resetting and reconfiguring everything, issue persists, then maybe can PM Maylyn and inform about the issue or post it here to ask for help.

OK, will do it again now...

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Is the firmware stable? Any drop connection so far? For the old firmware, my ip cam sometimes gets disconnected and does not connect back. And when I am gaming, sometimes I lose connections. My sister has also feedback to me that her connection at the bed room sometimes just goes missing.Used to be ok with Rt Ac88U except for the unstable connection.

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Btw, does enabling Aiprotection give the full speed and not cut the speed in half now?

Farish

Reaction score
So far so good. No drops and stable as far as I can tell for the last 48 hours.. Bearing in mind that I am not using the wifi from this router. Wifi is disabled.

Is the firmware stable? Any drop connection so far? For the old firmware, my ip cam sometimes gets disconnected and does not connect back. And when I am gaming, sometimes I lose connections. My sister has also feedback to me that her connection at the bed room sometimes just goes missing.Used to be ok with Rt Ac88U except for the unstable connection.

Jun Jun

Reaction score
So far so good. No drops and stable as far as I can tell for the last 48 hours.. Bearing in mind that I am not using the wifi from this router. Wifi is disabled.

Ok, I just failed my firmware update. So I tried to restore using the firmware restoration app but failed. The power led will keep flashing red and the rest will keep flashing white. Tried to hold reset button with wps and still it fails. Any more advice?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To use firmware restoration tool, you must first put the router in rescue mode. Have you done so?

Ok, I just failed my firmware update. So I tried to restore using the firmware restoration app but failed. The power led will keep flashing red and the rest will keep flashing white. Tried to hold reset button with wps and still it fails. Any more advice?

mod101

Reaction score
@maylyn

I just bought the BRT-828 router. Yes, I did use the AC88U extensively - great router. Overall, I have to say from a signal stability POV, BRT-828 is very good. However, the way the firmware was written seems odd to me as a user.

1. Access Control - when you have a group of devices accessing the Internet setup, switch on access control - no problem. It will block the devices at designated times. Problem comes when you reboot the router - it blocks EVERYTHING from accessing. I discovered this this morning when I schedule my router to reboot on Mon We'd Fri last evening. Perhaps it's a bug?

2. AiProtection - great feature with Trend Micro tie up. However, when you switch this on, it disable great router features like load balancing (have to be failover?!?) and NAT. Should hv these features regardless of whether AiProtection is on or off.

These are the 2 things that hit me thus far. Look forward to feedback from Asus. Many thanks.

PS I m on the latest firmware.

Last edited:

Jun Jun

Reaction score
The ram usage is unusally high from48%-56%, used to be at 31%. Does anyone faces this issue with the latest firmware?

fcchen

Reaction score
Hi,

WAN aggregation is not working for me. Am on StarHub and Singtel 1GB plan. StarHub connects without any issue. Singtel is unable to connect whether through WAN port of LAN port. Some dhcp error.

I did manage to get both connected only once. But the Internet slows to a crawl that it becomes unusable.

deathblade82

Reaction score
Hi,

WAN aggregation is not working for me. Am on StarHub and Singtel 1GB plan. StarHub connects without any issue. Singtel is unable to connect whether through WAN port of LAN port. Some dhcp error.

I did manage to get both connected only once. But the Internet slows to a crawl that it becomes unusable.

Singtel can't connect due to the need of VLAN tagging ?

fcchen

Reaction score
Singtel can't connect due to the need of VLAN tagging ?

Mine is 1GB plan without MIO TV. VLAN tagging required. Anyway, partially solved the problem by manually entering the DNS for both StarHub and Singtel. However, internet slows to a crawl after that.

Reverted back to the original firmware and its working now

fcchen

Reaction score
After a day or so with the new firmware, had to revert back to the old firmware version. New firmware caused my WiFi/LAN-WAN traffic to slow to a crawl.. Any others with similar issues?

Currently on Viewqwest's 2gbps multi-network plan.

Same experience for me. Back to old firmware

Propaganda!

Reaction score
BRT-AC828 LAN Issues

Hello all,

Before changing to the BRT-AC828 router I had the same multi network setup using the same WAN ip's except the two cables led to 2 different ASUS routers.
One had LAN ip 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.2.1 , this was done as to avoid conflict with the Zhone which was configured on the 192.168.1.1 address. (according ViewQWest)

Zhone is in Bridge mode.

The two asus routers have been replaced by the BRT-AC828 which is configured using 192.168.1.1, and almost all works great. Only one thing I can not figure out - which before the change worked perfect.

Inside the LAN I am unable to access websites which are on a Synology webserver - which is attached to the BRT-AC828 also using Link Aggregation, by their url (such as www.website.com).

Outside the LAN, no problems.

I tried changing the Host file, DNS servers (ViewQWest ones - google ones etc). But no matter what I try...connection to url (www.website.com) from inside the LAN to the Synology NAS can not be made.

Router 192.168.1.1
Synology 192.168.1.150
Google Wifi 192.168.86.100

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Could it be that both the Zhone and the BRT-AC828 use the same LAN 192.168.1.1 ??

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_7288

Best Regards, Frank

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.