[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Got the ASUS TW's go ahead to reveal the official specs ....

This is the first ASUS networking router based on QCA (QualComm Atheros) latest networking solutions.

~ Specs as follows ~

1). CPU ~ QCA IPQ8065 1.7GHz dual core Krait 300 CPU
2). WiFi ~ 2x QCA9984 4X4:4 Wave2 MU-MIMO 160MHz for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (80MHz+80MHz)
(Specs is ready but 160 drivers are not ready yet)
3). LAN Switch ~ (LAN:1 x RLT8370MB + WAN: 2 x QCA8033)
4). Fully hardware NAT dual WAN for Internet speeds up to 2Gbps with 8x real backbone GbE LAN ports (Realtek RTL8370MB 8 ports) with 2x set of bonding ports

5). Dedicated QCA HW AES/3DES/SHA crypto accelerator engine.
6). 128MB Flash
7). 512MB DDR3 RAM
8). 2 x USB 3.0 (with eject button)
9). Support Failover, Teaming (aggregation) on SLA (Static Link Aggregation), 802.3ad Aggregation
10). Support SATA/AHCI M.2 SSD up to the current biggest 500GB size available in the market - Samsung Evo 850 500GB M.2 SSD (Do note - M.2 NVME based SSD are not supported)

Just to illustrate why is this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is fully dual WAN 1Gbps capable up to 2Gbps and hardware NAT router.

One picture is worth more than a thousand words :D

Do note the SpeedTest is to show that this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is more capable to achieve this kind of performance rating with ease and fully NAT HW accelerated barely with any CPU loading.

All the other aspects of the performance indicators (WiFi, OpenVPN, IPSec, USB3.0, M.2 SSD etc) are still in embargo @ ASUS TW discretion.

Lastly, many thanks to ViewQwest and ASUS TW's BRT-AC828M2 team for allowing me to contribute to this particular collaboration.

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ ac brings new advances in Wi-Fi® performance

Expanded features bring higher performance, speed, and capacity to Wi-Fi networks

Austin, TX, June 29, 2016 – Wi-Fi Alliance® is expanding Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ ac to include new features that provide a higher-performance mobility experience. New “wave 2” features enable Wi-Fi® to more efficiently handle high-bandwidth applications from an increasing number of smartphones, tablets, TVs, and other consumer electronics devices simultaneously connected to Wi-Fi networks. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac delivers greater network capacity and multi-gigabit speeds to benefit consumers, service providers, and enterprises.

Multi-user Multiple Input Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) is among the most anticipated new features of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac, allowing more devices to operate simultaneously on the same network without sacrificing speed or performance. In addition to increased network capacity enabled with MU-MIMO, devices supporting the full set of new features are capable of achieving up to three times the speed of devices supporting only original Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac features. The newly introduced features are:

MU-MIMO: Networks with MU-MIMO are capable of multitasking by sending data to multiple devices at once rather than one-at-a-time, improving overall network efficiency and throughput

160 MHz channels: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac increases the maximum channel bandwidth from 80 MHz channels to 160 MHz channels, potentially doubling transmission speeds

Four spatial streams: Device speeds are proportional to the number of spatial streams. Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac now includes support for four spatial streams, up from three spatial streams.

Extended 5 GHz channel support: Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac encourages device support for a greater number of available channels in 5 GHz. Support for additional channels makes more efficient use of available spectrum and reduces interference and congestion by minimizing the number of networks operating on overlapping channels.

“Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac gives users a greater experience in dense environments by maximizing Wi-Fi network resources, providing a richer set of features, and enabling the full potential of the technology,” said Andrew Zignani, research analyst, ABI Research. “Wi-Fi Alliance assists in the proliferation of certified products into the market, and we expect an increasing number of data-intensive devices to support the new features for Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac that will benefit device end users through this certification process.”

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac was the first version of Wi-Fi to break the gigabit barrier, accelerating the shift to greater utilization of the 5 GHz band. Now, more than 65 percent of devices are dual-band, operating in both 2.4 and 5 GHz. The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED interoperability certification program will increase product support for newly supported features from a wide variety of mobile devices and access points, and 96 percent of devices will be dual-band by 2020. Access points supporting new features are expected to dominate the market within the next five years.

“In today’s world, people have more Wi-Fi devices per person and per household, and those devices require significantly more bandwidth,” said Edgar Figueroa, president and CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. “Wi-Fi Alliance updated the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac program to meet increasing user demands and to stay ahead of emerging applications, while preserving interoperability.”

The first Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac products to support new features and which comprise the test bed for interoperability certification are:

Broadcom BCM94709R4366AC
Marvell Avastar 88W8964
MediaTek MT7615 AP Reference Design and MT6632 STA Reference Design
Qualcomm IPQ8065 802.11ac 4-stream Dual-band, Dual-concurrent Router
Quantenna QSR1000 4x4 802.11ac Wave 2 Chipset Family

For more information and a list of Wi-Fi CERTIFIED ac products, please visit: www.wi-ficertifiedac.com.

From ~> http://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/ne...ldee=bWF0dC5icmlhbkBlbmdhZGdldC5jb20=&urlid=0

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
My 2Gbps VQ SpeedTest speed ^^

Done on the upcoming ASUS BRT-AC828 =:p

5606331416.png

In case, people is wondering? It's is being demo @ the COMEX 2016 booth :D

Expecting ASUS TW to announce it soon and shipping it Q4 :s12:

More read @ my thread ~>

[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

Farish

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Looking forward to more info and also when it finally hits the shelf! :)

Bright

Banned
Reaction score
i am sold on it. that's a dream comes true, good wifi coverage, 8 lan ports (i can retire my switch) and with m2 ssd, i can retire my usb hard disk. most of all it supports a single 2gbps fibre true put finally. :) :)

leechoonhwee

Reaction score
Does it mean that all the LAN port on this router is 2gb? In order to achieve 2gb speed on the PC, it means that I need 2GB network card installed right?

As for wireless connection, now it can connect at the fastest speed possible based on the respective wireless client hardware?

SaruwatariShun

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
New first ASUS ROG router announced @ CES 2017 :D

ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 is the first ROG router designed specifically for gaming, featuring tri-band Wi‑Fi, eight-port gigabit-LAN, and its own powerful PC-grade, 1.8GHz quad-core CPU to enable incredibly fast and responsive network gaming. GT-AC5300 also includes two ultra-fast USB 3.0 ports.

The new router benefits from a number of innovative features to make gaming easier, and gameplay faster and smoother than ever. Chief among the gamer-friendly is Gaming Center, which provides an instant overview of the gaming network, so players can see at a glance the current internet status and stability, know how many gaming devices are online and what apps or games they are running. Gaming Center also helps gamers to control their network easily, with many one-click options; and it also shows server ping speeds for popular games from all around the world.

GT-AC5300 is the first gaming router to offer users three levels of game acceleration. Two of the eight LAN ports are dedicated gaming ports that prioritize network traffic to devices connected to those specific ports. The router also has a Game Boost feature that works in conjunction with two dedicated gaming ports to prioritize gaming traffic for the best networking speeds, as well as individual speeds for each connected gaming device. Users also have the ability to set up a private gaming network, to accelerate the connection between the router and preferred game servers.

The Game Intrusion Prevention System (Game IPS) offers integrated security based on Trend Micro™ technology to provide robust front-line protection for gaming networks. Game IPS allows PC-based anti-virus and firewall software to be temporarily disabled during gaming sessions, freeing up CPU performance for improved gaming speeds — and preventing legitimate game traffic from being blocked.

@ ~> http://www.asus.com/Networking/ROG-Rapture-GT-AC5300/

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to it and your in-depth review... esp in conjunction with VQ's 2gbps offering (if you can)... Thank you very much sir.

I'm afraid that doing the actual un-boxing is not possible as the actual BRT828 box, labels and information are currently still under embargo :s22: until i have received the green light from ASUS TW/SG.

Nevertheless i still post on those that what i have posted before ^^

Actual ASUS BRT-AC828

Specs change - 128MB Flash to 256MB Flash

AC Adapter

Rear

Do note default SSID as ASUS_40_2G and ASUS_40_5G

M.2 SATA slot (socket3)

It's comes with the M.2 hand screw as well.

My rig got overhaul to ASUS X99-E-10G WS from ASRock X99-E-WS 10G and back to custom water cooling (still work in progress)

1). ASUS X99-E-10G WS (2x Intel X550 10GbE LAN)
2). Intel 5960X
3). 2x Samsung 960 Pro 2TB (M.2), Samsung 950 512GB (M.2), 1.2TB Intel 750, 2x Nvidia Titan X Pascal
4). 2x 10GbE LAN NIC
5). ASUS PCE-AC88

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to it and your in-depth review... esp in conjunction with VQ's 2gbps offering (if you can)... Thank you very much sir.

And yes, i will provide an in-depth VQ 2Gbps setup and configuration, still work in progress .... ;)

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Can the M.2 SATA be configured to be used like a proxy/cache server?

Set for mapped caching it's might be possible, currently the M.2 cannot used as a proxy/cache server.

ASUS TW are currently evaluating the accessibility whether is it possible or not, no timeline are given :o

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.