[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
CES 2017: Mesh Networking and the first ever ROG Router!

CES 2017: ASUS ROG Rapture GT AC5300 and HiveDot & HiveSpot Wireless System

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Back with some more updates (19/01/2017)

Hatching on antennas

Re-setting up in progress :s13:

Some WebUI teaser

Network Map

Access Control

Customisable VLAN

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Looks like it's due to go on sale in Australia in about two weeks, retailing at A$689 (S$745). Anyone knows about availability and pricing in Singapore?

Hello crewcutboy,

The BRT-AC828 is now available in selected SLS outlets, and will be made available in selected challenger outlets by the end of the week.

SRP: $559 SGD

Thank you!

Cheryl

Farish

Reaction score
How is the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi coverage compared to the RT-AC88U? Can also compare the processors between the 2 Pls?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
How is the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi coverage compared to the RT-AC88U? Can also compare the processors between the 2 Pls?

From my testings, i did find that the 2.4GHz/5GHz are as comparable in coverage but speed wise is albeit better over the AC88U which are already what a 4x4 router can deliver over to any 3x3/2x2 devices WiFi performance limit.

As for CPU, the ASUS BRT-AC828 (QCA IPQ8065 dual core Krait 300 1.7GHz) > ASUS RT-AC88 (BCM dual core 1.4GHz) just take the OpenSSL speed test as an example.

Left result - ASUS BRT-AC828
Right result - ASUS RT-AC88U

AES 128

AES 256

And one needs to remember that ASUS BRT-AC828 IPSec is hardware accelerated and whereas all other ASUS routers don't have IPSec support anymore.

Last edited:

Farish

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my 1gbps ViewQwest to the 2gbps multi-network and use the dual-wan teaming feature especially since hardware NAT/forwarding is available for both WAN ports... That bandwidth with compliment my 2gbps NAS nicely.

Worth it?

Ghostrider333

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my 1gbps ViewQwest to the 2gbps multi-network and use the dual-wan teaming feature especially since hardware NAT/forwarding is available for both WAN ports... That bandwidth with compliment my 2gbps NAS nicely.

Worth it?

Do note that teaming does not equal to >1Gbps transfer speed on a dual gigabit teamed NIC plus the fact that teaming is broken on windows 10 at the moment.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Do note that teaming does not equal to >1Gbps transfer speed on a dual gigabit teamed NIC plus the fact that teaming is broken on windows 10 at the moment.

All thanks to Microsoft for dragging for more than an year :s22: :o

At least someone from Intel bother to bring up this matter up and work with Microsoft.

Anyway Intel should be releasing the teaming enabled drivers for Windows 10 (version 22) soon if nothing goes wrong ;)

More @ ~> https://communities.intel.com/thread/77934

Able

Reaction score
All thanks to Microsoft for dragging for more than an year :s22: :o

At least someone from Intel bother to bring up this matter up and work with Microsoft.

Anyway Intel should be releasing the teaming enabled drivers for Windows 10 (version 22) soon if nothing goes wrong ;)

More @ ~> https://communities.intel.com/thread/77934

I was feeling so excited to read the launch of this router, thinking I could finally utilise my dual-Lan system and Viewqwest 2Gbps plan. But only to read that the teaming driver for Windows 10 is broken.

What O/S are you using to test this router with teaming?

crewcutboy

Reaction score
Any ideas on what the WAN to LAN throughput performance on this router is? Curious as to whether it's better than the top ranked routers like the Netgear R7800 and Synology AC2600. I'm looking only at wired, not wireless performance.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I was feeling so excited to read the launch of this router, thinking I could finally utilise my dual-Lan system and Viewqwest 2Gbps plan. But only to read that the teaming driver for Windows 10 is broken.

What O/S are you using to test this router with teaming?

Windows 7/Windows 8.1 ;)

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on what the WAN to LAN throughput performance on this router is? Curious as to whether it's better than the top ranked routers like the Netgear R7800 and Synology AC2600. I'm looking only at wired, not wireless performance.

Up to the current GPON standard (2.488 Gbits/s downstream and 1.244 Gbits/s upstream). Do note GbE LAN has TCP/IP overheads
hence ~ WAN-LAN is about close to 1.9Gbps down/950+Mbps up.

ASUS TW and Viewqwest have tested the ASUS BRT-AC828 extensively and it works :D

Viewqwest has been using it for demo to showcase their 2Gbps Fiber Service SpeedTest since SITEX 2016 and PC show 2016.

No comments on the NetGear R7800 and Synology AC2600, you sure their dual WAN is working flawlessly? :D

Last edited:

Farish

Reaction score

I'm using teaming on my Synology NAS only. NAS is running Coachpotato, Sonarr, FTP server and I think will benefit from the 2GB WAN bandwidth.

Farish

Reaction score
Up to the current GPON standard (2.488 Gbits/s downstream and 1.244 Gbits/s upstream). Do note GbE LAN has TCP/IP overheads
hence ~ WAN-LAN is about close to 1.9Gbps up/950+Mbps down.

ASUS TW and Viewqwest have tested the ASUS BRT-AC828 extensively and it works :D

Viewqwest has been using it for demo to showcase their 2Gbps Fiber Service SpeedTest since SITEX 2016 and PC show 2016.

No comments on the NetGear R7800 and Synology AC2600, you sure their dual WAN is working flawlessly? :D

Maylyn, how is the dual WAN on this router different when compared to the dual WAN capability on routers like the ac88u? Thanks.

spectral

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS always rush product and the fw cmi, look at ac88... till today, I still dun dare to update to latest fw.

spectral

Master Member
Reaction score
Give Merlin's FW a try bro. More features and more stable than ASUS's for the AC88..

Did install Merlin's FW during my usage of AC68, maybe I should give it a try on AC88. Rather that rolled back to 2345 and stay put for so long.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.