[Maylyn - Networking - Preview] ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Router

Farish

Reaction score
So I purchased one of these routers... Found that I cannot enable DUAL WAN on load balance if I want the AIProtection features. Also, I can only choose NAT Acceleration or AIProtection. Hmmm

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
You can connect your 2 modems to the LAN ports.

My only question for this router would be does the 2 WAN have to be symmetrical in speed? eg different speed from 2 ISPs? Will there be an issue if we have 2 x 1GB from 2 ISPs with different download and upload speed?

Nope, it's not required for dual WAN setup for load balancing.

~ Rule of thumb ~

To set the “Load Balance Configuration”, make sure to know both individual Internet speeds first before start.

Entering the configuration ratio depend on the Internet speed comparing to the other, for example, 1000Mbps Internet service and 1000Mbps internet service to set as “1 : 1” for the best results. 1000Mbps internet service and 500 Mbps internet service to set as “2 : 1”. Suggested formula as: a : 1 (1st Internet speed / 2nd Internet speed = a)

~ Important Note ~

If one is subscribed to 2 different Internet Service providers, one needs to change to manual input the DNS value to others rather than set to auto or 1st/2nd ISP DNS (for example ~ Google DNS - 8.8.8.8/8.8.8.4)

Auto is only good for same Internet Service providers having 2x plans.

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
So ac88u link aggregation is only meant for WiFi and ac828 able to do for WiFi and lan to get almost 2Gbps speed?

Sent from Samsung SM-T715Y using GAGT

Yes, refer to my posting @ #81

@ ~> http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/106240658-post81.html

As for AC828 AC WiFi is up to 4x4 data rate (1734Mbps) subject to corresponding WiFi devices in used. (For example ~ Using ASUS PCE-AC88 - one is able to get up to over 1Gbps down/1Gbps up - 3m - line of sight on 5GHz upper channels on dual WAN setup. ASUS RT AC88 AC WiFi is capable up to 900+Mbps down/900+Mbps up as well too on single WAN (1Gbps GbE limited)

Last edited:

Cookee

Master Member
Reaction score
If I'm on VQ 2 GBPS single network, will I be able to get up to 2 GBPS by plugging LAN from 2 LAN ports of the Zhone modem to the 2 WAN ports on the 828? Can it work in this way?

Farish

Reaction score
Dont think it will work that way. You will need to be on the multi-network plan to get 2 WAN IPs.

If I'm on VQ 2 GBPS single network, will I be able to get up to 2 GBPS by plugging LAN from 2 LAN ports of the Zhone modem to the 2 WAN ports on the 828? Can it work in this way?

Hacker

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can connect your 2 modems to the LAN ports.

My only question for this router would be does the 2 WAN have to be symmetrical in speed? eg different speed from 2 ISPs? Will there be an issue if we have 2 x 1GB from 2 ISPs with different download and upload speed?

And I do not use the WAN ports then? Tried it and it did not work connecting to the aggregated LAN ports.

Last edited:

Hacker

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Connected a USB drive to the router. Cannot really change anything. FTP toggle cannot be toggled on/off.

Farish

Reaction score
Up for 3 days now on the ViewQwest 2Gbps multi-network coupled with ASUS BRT-AC828 with absolutely no issues to report. No drop outs, no speed drops etc. Perfectly happy and fingers crossed.

ethancyd

Reaction score
Connected a USB drive to the router. Cannot really change anything. FTP toggle cannot be toggled on/off.

Seems like AiCloud is not available for plugged in USB drive? No more https sharing :s11:

And FTP can be toggled on/off on my end.

Advanced Settings > File Sharing > FTP Tab > On/Off and then Apply.

zer0ne

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Up for 3 days now on the ViewQwest 2Gbps multi-network coupled with ASUS BRT-AC828 with absolutely no issues to report. No drop outs, no speed drops etc. Perfectly happy and fingers crossed.

Can do a speedtest if you are free? Thanks.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Intel VLAN/Teaming now works on Windows 10 :D

Download ~> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

Detailed Description

Overview

The 22.0.1 SW Release re-enables both teaming and VLANS by performing a check on the OS version to ensure the update has been applied before allowing the feature to be enabled.

Latest OS update required for Teams and VLANs on Microsoft Windows® 10

You must install the latest Microsoft Windows 10 updates before you can create Intel® Advanced Network Services (Intel® ANS) Teams and VLANs on Windows 10 systems. Any Intel ANS Teams or VLANs created with Release 20.1, 20.2, or 20.3 on a Windows 10 system will be corrupted and cannot be upgraded. The installer will remove these existing teams and VLANs. Team members that are not Intel devices will not be renamed back to their original names. This is cosmetic only and does not change their functionality. Reinstall their drivers to get the original names back.

Note: Intel ANS is only supported on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Windows 10 Version 1607, build 10.0.14393) branch, and may not be supported on future versions.

Purpose

This download installs base drivers, Intel® PROSet for Windows* Device Manager, advanced networking services for teaming and VLANs (ANS), and SNMP for Intel® Network Adapters with Windows 10.

Note: The drivers contained in this download are not compatible with Windows Server 2016*.

Which file should you download?

Note: 10 GB adapters are only supported by x64-bit drivers.

PROWin32.exe for 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows

PROWinx64.exe for 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows

Hacker

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like AiCloud is not available for plugged in USB drive? No more https sharing :s11:

And FTP can be toggled on/off on my end.

Advanced Settings > File Sharing > FTP Tab > On/Off and then Apply.

Mine is greyed out. Nothing to toggle 😳

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.