[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC66U Dark Knight Rises

FaNtAsIuM

Reaction score
Hey guys, i had configured the VPN on the router, when i get connected i can access the router page and able to ping the router, but i can't seem to reach another computer on the network. Is there any special settings that i need to set?

Thanks!

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i had configured the VPN on the router, when i get connected i can access the router page and able to ping the router, but i can't seem to reach another computer on the network. Is there any special settings that i need to set?

Thanks!

is it the another computer never open the port that u need? :s8:

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My ac66 kaput. Keeps restarting itself that's why I kept getting intermittent connection. Connecting directly to my ONT and it works fine. That router needs better cooling man.

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My ac66 kaput. Keeps restarting itself that's why I kept getting intermittent connection. Connecting directly to my ONT and it works fine. That router needs better cooling man.
b4 u say abt the temp, install merlin firmware, check the temp n post here

XDeathLoRdz

Reaction score
Can anyone help me?
I am getting a very speed on 2.4ghz but a good connection on 5ghz.

I am only getting 4.22mpbs download, i am on firmware 3.0.0.4.270 and viewqwest 200mbps

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me?
I am getting a very speed on 2.4ghz but a good connection on 5ghz.

I am only getting 4.22mpbs download, i am on firmware 3.0.0.4.270 and viewqwest 200mbps

on 2.4GHz, u cant expect a very gd speed if u r living in hdb wit many many wifi around. try change channel to c if there is improvement.

Janet_Jackson

Reaction score
I can also confirm that the latest 2 firmwares cause 5GHz performance issues. I've seen transfer rates drop all the way to 0 for a few seconds, only to recover slowly back to the usual 25-33MBps. Range is also poorer than my previous 802.11n router. I've also carried out factory resets after each flash without fail. Problem persists. If I flash back to the older firmwares, no such problem (except that range is still poorer, but that could be an inherent issue with the 802.11ac chipset rather than firmware).

yoman8

Reaction score
I can also confirm that the latest 2 firmwares cause 5GHz performance issues. I've seen transfer rates drop all the way to 0 for a few seconds, only to recover slowly back to the usual 25-33MBps. Range is also poorer than my previous 802.11n router. I've also carried out factory resets after each flash without fail. Problem persists. If I flash back to the older firmwares, no such problem (except that range is still poorer, but that could be an inherent issue with the 802.11ac chipset rather than firmware).

Are u saying older firmware has a higher wifi speed ?

XDeathLoRdz

Reaction score
Can share your 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz settings?

Frequency : 2.4GHZ
Wireless Mode : N only
Channel bandwidth : 20MHz
Control Channel : Auto
Network Key Rotation Interval : 3600

Frequency : 5GHZ
Channel bandwidth : 80MHz
Control Channel : 149

yoman8

Reaction score
Wireless Mode : N+AC only

Using intel 6200AGN, only achieve max 120Mbps when very near router, wired can get 210Mbps.

Firmware issue or router faulty ?

Janet_Jackson

Reaction score
If your router don't have any issue with current firmware, please stay on your current firmware.

Unless you need new feature or resolve your issue.

I always had issues with 5GHz range, which was flawless on my Linksys E4200. The new firmwares supposedly contained new drivers that fixed the 5GHz link. Unfortunately, it turned out worse.

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it definitely does seem that the latest firmware reduced the transmit power of the 5G band for this router. What is Asus doing to fix it?

ckh98258

Reaction score
It definitely looks scary with all the recent version update. I also planning for AC66 but kind of worry will be the next firmware victim. :(

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
HTML:
I always had issues with 5GHz range, which was flawless on my Linksys E4200. The new firmwares supposedly contained new drivers that fixed the 5GHz link. Unfortunately, it turned out worse.

After update the firmware, kindly do hardreset

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel bandwidth : 20Mhz

Channel bandwidth : 40MHz

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Wireless Mode : N+AC only

Using intel 6200AGN, only achieve max 120Mbps when very near router, wired can get 210Mbps.

Firmware issue or router faulty ?

What is your link speed?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.