HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Like Tree650Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2015, 01:49 AM   #1516

+1 for you...

Where is your source from?
Please show us the market share of apple devices and OS market share.
I personally only know of 1 person that has no IOS devices, all the rest have IOS devices.

I also do agree, this router should have never left the bench at Asus
1. heat issues (ONLY a laptop cooler under mine cured LAG PS4 problems)
2. swapped my 87 for a new one and lots of issues went away (most likely from the lack of NO laptop cooler on that one)
3, I read that the other versions from other manufactures HAVE fixed many of the issues WE still have today. (and they came out after, and produce less heat also)

Now Asus I know this is my first post here BUT I learned a lot more than I should have with this router. Please fix it! PLEASE!

5 to 6 months into this and still issues,

Issues,
1. Router needs to be rebooted (either 5GHz does not work and or 2.4GHz also has issues) every 2-5 days.
2. Without a laptop cooler under it, all kinds of issues (wired or wifi) , IE. PS4 lag, router has to be rebooted daily or 2 days, ect...
3. VLAN errors (I know you are working on it)
4. Can only view my DVR (from app on my phone) while connected to wifi with "NAT Accretion" OFF (using WAN IP), BUT with it off I get a little PS4 lag. Works fine when not connected to my wifi.
5. with Nat Acceleration off my playback of my test movies (usb hard drive plugged into USB 2.0 or 3.0 port on router) play absolutely fine, BUT with it on "auto" movie playback can be choppy at times intermittently.

Some of my 5GHz problems went away with the latest firmware, BUT I had to also replace my 87 with a new one to get rid of other issues, I am constantly testing this, because I need it to work perfectly, PLEASE FIX!

EDIT:
#1 seems good on day 4 so far, I did have to internal reboot the router after 3 days when first installed (my replacement router that is)

#2 is adding laptop cooler, kind of sucks but I can live with that.

#3 you're working on that from what I read.

#4 is also working with NAT Acceleration on auto so far, and NO signs of PS4 lag, this is great.

I am still working testing my #5

I did have to turn wifi off and on on my iphone 6+ on day 3, but 5GHz was still zippy and useable. I can live with this, tho I should not have to, but it may be apple also or totally.

Last edited by dfran1; 25-01-2015 at 07:54 PM..
dfran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 04:19 AM   #1517

Hello ASUS@SG,

Regarding the VLAN LOOP BACK issue, you were at phase 6 of testing the new firmware on January 9th.

What is the ETA for the new firmware?

At which phase are you now? How many phases there is?

Please keep us updated lah

Dear all,

We are testing on phase 6 firmware to testing on vlan loop back, WPS and others bug.

Best regard,
JK
jfpatenaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #1518
High Supremacy Member

You sure?

GPGT

Oh SH.T ...............
I want a UNIT !...........
trichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #1519

+1 for you...

Where is your source from?
Please show us the market share of apple devices and OS market share.
I never claimed it was a majority of devices, but just a large portion.I fully understand that android and non-Apple computer manufacturers dominate sales, but Apple still maintains a10-20% market share. To me this is sufficient enough to not have been ignored by Asus. I would expect from a global device manufacturer with such a diverse user base such as Asus, that they would have sufficiently tested the router beforehand.

Last edited by arozario; 24-01-2015 at 02:22 PM..
arozario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #1520
Arch-Supremacy Member

SmallNetBuilder Forums - View Single Post - ASUS RT-AC87U design flaw?

According to this user from SNB, he removed the thermal pads and replaced them with his own thermal grease. The results of replacing the pads with the grease produced lower temperature.

I'm deciding should i get an USB fan to blow at my unit, or wait for hardware revision?

This is my current temperatures with a standing fan blowing directly at it for more than 10mins:
ASUSWRT RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4 Mon Jan 12 03:10:08 UTC 2015
admin@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# qcsapi_sockrpc get_temperature
temperature_rfic_external = 0.0
temperature_rfic_internal = 55.2
temperature_bbic_internal = 60.0
admin@RT-AC87U:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/dmu/temperature
CPU temperature : 58?C

Superb 5Ghz performance...
Old 24-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #1521
Master Member

I am unable to access the router config page when it is set as AP with the latest firmware. Hard reset then can, but when set as AP again, i am unable to access again.

Older firmware dated sep 2014 can.
phayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #1522
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi,

When set as AP, might want set a static IP for AP, then you are able to access, also gateway point to main router......

I am unable to access the router config page when it is set as AP with the latest firmware. Hard reset then can, but when set as AP again, i am unable to access again.

Older firmware dated sep 2014 can.
Francis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #1523
Master Member

Already set static IP. I port scan the RT-AC87U. Only port 515 and 9100 is open. Port 80 is not open.

Hi,

When set as AP, might want set a static IP for AP, then you are able to access, also gateway point to main router......
phayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #1524

With laptop cooler and latest firmware, I still had frequent dcs. (A few times a day)
With laptop cooler and Merlins latest firmware, I have only been dced once in the past week.

I m gonna insist on a new ac87 next week. Let's see how it goes.
legolaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #1525
Supremacy Member

Is it AC-87U problem or Apple product? I am still trying to understand .....haha!
htngwilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #1526
Supremacy Member

Guys, my Asus fonepad 8 cannot detect my Asus 5GHz network. May I know how to resolve? Thanks
htngwilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #1527

Now we learnt our lesson le. Never get an Asus router until 1 one year later. I think Asus should really focus more on their This RT87u instead of the AC3200 router. I don't blame the guys who are trying their best to solve the bugs in the router but rather the management at Asus. Poor management from them. Just disappointing. My first asus router and i thought it will be better than my Singtel router. But turns out, not. Just disappointing. Spent a premium but got a unstable product. Will not recommend this model to anyone unless they are willing to suffer.
evildoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #1528

Ok Guys,

I had to try this experiment.
Do note that following procedures will void your warranty.
You have been warned!!!

Remove the Four screws (Orange) below on Bottom case.
Two screws are hidden beneath the rubber feet. One of them has a Void warranty if tapered sticker.
Below in circled Red are where the catches/ hooks are.
Two polished screws in Yellow are used to tie down the PCB to the Bottom Case.

Bottom Case

Top Case

PCB with mediocre Thermal Pads

Thermal Paste and Heatsink re-applied

The router is placed in my living room in non aircon environment with Merlin's latest stable firmware.
Temperature results were 2-3°C lower on average with/ without Cooling Pad on CPU after replacing stock thermal pad and applying with Arctic MX-4 thermal paste.
No significant Temperature differences on 2.4/5Ghz cores.

Stock Thermal Pad without Cooling Pad

MX-4 without Cooling Pad

Stock Thermal Pad with Cooling Pad

MX-4 with Cooling Pad
ahduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #1529

1st time encountered 5GHz disconnect from my Android and iPad.
Sigh....
jovially is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #1530
Arch-Supremacy Member

PCB with mediocre Thermal Pads

Thermal Paste and Heatsink re-applied
are you able to confirm if there is any thermal pad underneath the shielding. As in, there should be a pad or thermal grease between the ICs and the shielding, or else the thermal pads or grease on the shielding will be useless..

Based on this pic, i can confirm that there should be something between the shielding and the ICs...

Last edited by renfred89; 25-01-2015 at 09:31 AM..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.