HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Like Tree650Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #1531

Guys, my Asus fonepad 8 cannot detect my Asus 5GHz network. May I know how to resolve? Thanks
Asus Fonepad 8 cannot support 5Ghz....
Old 25-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #1532
Supremacy Member

Oh. Thanks bro for your reply. Interestingly my sony vaio since donkey years ago can detect 5ghz so I thought fonepad can do. Thanks bro for your kind reply
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #1533

are you able to confirm if there is any thermal pad underneath the shielding. As in, there should be a pad or thermal grease between the ICs and the shielding, or else the thermal pads or grease on the shielding will be useless..

Based on this pic, i can confirm that there should be something between the shielding and the ICs...
I cannot remove the shielding. It's soldered on the board like an integrated heat spreader (IHS) just like a normal Intel processor.
ahduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #1534

Oh. Thanks bro for your reply. Interestingly my sony vaio since donkey years ago can detect 5ghz so I thought fonepad can do. Thanks bro for your kind reply
Not all mobile devices can support dual band...

asus zenfone 5,4 and 6 cannot support.
Old 25-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #1535
Arch-Supremacy Member

ASUS RT-AC3200 Website is live

@ Networking - RT-AC3200 - ASUS
Hi bro, can I ask when will this launch and also will it support singtel fibre and mio tv. Thanks.
noobzpro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #1536
High Supremacy Member

With laptop cooler and latest firmware, I still had frequent dcs. (A few times a day)
With laptop cooler and Merlins latest firmware, I have only been dced once in the past week.

I m gonna insist on a new ac87 next week. Let's see how it goes.
Keep us posted....
Which merlin firmware you using ? I am using offixial nothing break so not sure to try merlin for the additional CPU temp graph...
trichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #1537
Arch-Supremacy Member

my 5ghz dc on me for dun know how many times..........
Francis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #1538

I cannot remove the shielding. It's soldered on the board like an integrated heat spreader (IHS) just like a normal Intel processor.
The way it looks, the shield on the chips should just pry up, are you sure ?
dfran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #1539

With laptop cooler and latest firmware, I still had frequent dcs. (A few times a day)
With laptop cooler and Merlins latest firmware, I have only been dced once in the past week.

I m gonna insist on a new ac87 next week. Let's see how it goes.
Hi,
Is your router new as a week old or? (I would get it replaced no matter what)
The only reason I ask is my 1st 87 I ran without a laptop cooler, at first it ran great but the last 2 months, no matter what I had problems.

Then I put a laptop cooler under it and problems went away, the next day I got a replacement and in keeping the cooler under it, to this day MOST of my problems with the newest firmware are gone or have calmed down.

So to me it seems running these with no cooler under them (I still think holes should be drilled on top to cool even further, BUT?) damages the device and the damage is not recoverable at all unless replaced.

Mine 1st one got so bad that my PS4 would LAG every other day, so I had to reboot every day the router, then the last week (before my replacement) I could not get rid of the lag UNLESS I flashed and WPS reset the router, so not only is the heat destroying these, the heat is corrupting the code.

This is my findings and thoughts.
dfran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #1540

Been using the PCE-68 to connect with AC87, previously keep getting Max 120DL 330UL on speedtest, uninstalled the Killer Ethernet Qualcomm suite that comes with the driver for my motherboard Ethernet, the speed went up to 330DL 330 UL!
DriftKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #1541

Keep us posted....
Which merlin firmware you using ? I am using offixial nothing break so not sure to try merlin for the additional CPU temp graph...
There more in the menu besides the temperature graph.
You can save your current .3885 configs, then try out Merlins. If you dont like it, can always flash back to .3885 and restore.
Do remember to do a hard reset after flashing of different firmware.

The way it looks, the shield on the chips should just pry up, are you sure ?
Yeah the heat spreader is soldered unlike some IHS which are glued together to the PCB. I believe it can be plied open but I'm afraid to as it will totally void the warranty.
As for now, if I wanna claim warranty or RMA, I'll just clean out the thermal paste and swap back the stock thermal pads.
Old 25-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #1542
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have an enquiry, how do you guys select a suitable laptop cooler for use with ac87u?

the vents of ac87u are at the side while the bottom central is actually sealed. If you buy those cooler with a big central fan, shouldn't it be useless?

does 2 small fans type of cooler benefit ac87u?
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #1543

I have an enquiry, how do you guys select a suitable laptop cooler for use with ac87u?

the vents of ac87u are at the side while the bottom central is actually sealed. If you buy those cooler with a big central fan, shouldn't it be useless?

does 2 small fans type of cooler benefit ac87u?
Of cos having fans blowing thru the vents would be great. But having a big fan in the middle type wont hurt as there are still active air flow blowing into the side vents.

If the 2 fans sits directly below the vents, it should help a lot more. But do note that some smaller fans do generate higher noise levels. Also some may not push much airflow compared to bigger, lower speed single fan.

If you can find a cooler something like Cooler Master Notepal U1 or u2 which the fans can be placed to your liking then it would be great.
Old 26-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #1544
Master Member

Guys , want to check this router 2.4ghz got problem or not? because someone mention 2.4ghz also got problem!

I am not using 5ghz , just 2.4ghz for wifi , thanks!
Arucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #1545
High Supremacy Member

Of cos having fans blowing thru the vents would be great. But having a big fan in the middle type wont hurt as there are still active air flow blowing into the side vents.

If the 2 fans sits directly below the vents, it should help a lot more. But do note that some smaller fans do generate higher noise levels. Also some may not push much airflow compared to bigger, lower speed single fan.

If you can find a cooler something like Cooler Master Notepal U1 or u2 which the fans can be placed to your liking then it would be great.
I am using this quiet fan .......small and adjustable leg .... hide below cannot be seen from top view.. .....

Now about 68 to 70 deg ....... was 80 above .... max 83 ..snt as good as those large base laptop cooler... but I have limited space so have to pick this choice....

For those who not willing to spend more and no space etc .... at least put on this ..... $5 only ...... bring down temp to below 70 ......

Last edited by trichard; 26-01-2015 at 12:27 AM..
trichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.