HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Like Tree652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #151

ok i flashing to Merlin 46.. stay tuned..

Just now too many things to do in evening.. just setup get it running, no time to fine tune.

Also nicely reset factory default, clean up and pack nicely for whoever will be taking over my AC68U
SimonLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #152

ok i flashing to Merlin 46.. stay tuned..

Just now too many things to do in evening.. just setup get it running, no time to fine tune.

Also nicely reset factory default, clean up and pack nicely for whoever will be taking over my AC68U
I also just flashed to Merlin 46. Gotta monitor my "Limited Network" issue now.

So how much you intend to let go your AC68? Lucky my colleague taking over so I save the trouble to post/neg/deal.

Btw, anyone know the default antenna was it the standard 6dBi? Now I left over 3 X 9dBi antenna from my AC68 which I ordered from superpowersupply.com don't know what to do with it now.
ckh98258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #153
Master Member

To late to test media bridge tonight.

Been testing the wireless with my existing wireless cameras, laptops and tablets, including streaming movies from PPTV via VQ. So far no problem. Replacing my AC68 with the AC87 on VQ was a breeze.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:58 PM   #154

New firmware going to be release soon on asus site Asus RT-AC87U 3.0.0.4_376-2678
Ghostrider333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #155
Master Member

Re-posting what Gary Key have posted with changelog

New Public Release Firmware - Build 2678

1. This will be up on the support site and servers for auto update late tomorrow.
2. Download here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8-gb2dcaa5.rar
3. Short Fix List

Major Changes

(1) Enhanced the button and LED response time.
(2) Added the application icons in Bandwidth monitor.
(3) Update to Quantenna’s latest driver which can improve long range RT-AC87U to RT-AC87U performance

Minor Changes

(1) Fixed OpenVPN client UI issue.
(2) Fixed the NTP sync error when user manually assigns the NTP server IP.
(3) Fixed AiCloud IE11 compatibility bug.
(4) Fixed USB icon at wrong position in network map.
(5) Fixed reboot issue when changing the 5GHz band from auto to 161.
(6) Fixed PPTP VPN server connection issue due to special character usage
Old 29-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #156

i also bought 2 unit. but at $368 each. total $736 as i forgo the headphone from courts booth. If sell in forum at most $50 can get? Lazy to post sell so just $30 off each unit to cut some cost.

Tested the wireless connection in my room. still weak.......... tomorrow night will set up media bridge to see if better.

Today at comex. hooted all this... bought so much stuff unknowingly

bought dlink AC1200 USB adaptor for $39 as temporary use. Dun see y i should pay $109 for the asus one with long gain antenna.......

how is the d-link adapter? thinking of getting 1.
Andread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #157
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, ASUS eCustomer Service Center

I also just flashed to Merlin 46. Gotta monitor my "Limited Network" issue now.

So how much you intend to let go your AC68? Lucky my colleague taking over so I save the trouble to post/neg/deal.

Btw, anyone know the default antenna was it the standard 6dBi? Now I left over 3 X 9dBi antenna from my AC68 which I ordered from superpowersupply.com don't know what to do with it now.
Dear ckh98258,

It's 4x 5dbi dual band antenna.

Best regard,
JK

For warranty information and repair status:
Click here to enquire

To purchase laptop or zenfone adapter/battery/accessories:
Click here to check the pricing and availability

Other general enquiries or feedback:
Email: marketing_sg@asus.com

*Response may take up to 2-4 working days. Please be patient.

For technical assistance, please contact +65 66369163 Operation hours: Mon~Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm, Extended hours on Wed 5:30pm - 7:00pm, Sat 09:30am - 12.30pm, Closed on Sunday and Public Holiday.

Ensure that you have the product in front of you and that it is turned on, if feasible. In addition, please ensure that you have the following information available: Serial Number (E.g: F5N0BC022939214) Model Number (E.g: UX303LN) Problem encountered

Join ASUS Facebook
Subscribe to ASUS Youtube
ASUS@SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 04:45 AM   #158

Dear all,

I am currently testing newer beta build.

more feature will be added in future build.

Please feedback to me if you guys encounter any bug.

I might late reply due to comex.

Best regard,
JK

Click here to enquire

For technical assistance, please contact +65 66369163 Operation hours: Mon~Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm, Extended hours on Wed 5:30pm - 7:00pm, Sat 09:30am - 12.30pm, Closed on Sunday and Public Holiday.

Ensure that you have the product in front of you and that it is turned on, if feasible. In addition, please ensure that you have the following information available: Serial Number (E.g: F5N0BC022939214) Model Number (E.g: UX303LN) Problem encountered

Join ASUS Facebook
Old 29-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #159

I need tricks to unlock pass 1170.. Any ways to boost 5ghz transmission? Tested Merlin 46 and latest build. Same.

Maybe antenna too short? Noticed the 5Ghz media bridge signal was not full bar, as compared to 2x ac68u at the same spot.

Edit: I put the box under the 2 routers to elevate... seems the link increase to 1300.. still no where near 1500 that Maylyn posted LOL..

Last edited by SimonLam; 29-08-2014 at 07:59 AM..
Old 29-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #160

I need tricks to unlock pass 1170.. Any ways to boost 5ghz transmission? Tested Merlin 46 and latest build. Same.

Maybe antenna too short? Noticed the 5Ghz media bridge signal was not full bar, as compared to 2x ac68u at the same spot.

Edit: I put the box under the 2 routers to elevate... seems the link increase to 1300.. still no where near 1500 that Maylyn posted LOL..
Dear SimonLam,

I advise you not to use 3rd party firmware.

Another new official firmware will be release soon.

Best regard,
JK

Click here to enquire

Join ASUS Facebook
Old 29-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #161

I'm thinking of getting the Asus AC87U. Going to check it out this weekend or today. So when set up, I need to change the settings from ct2 to ct1 so that I can use mio tv? And any major problem so far for the ac87u? Like I won't be able to use the internet? Thanks guys! Another thing is if I want a stable router, I should get Ac68u?
evildoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #162

I'm thinking of getting the Asus AC87U. Going to check it out this weekend or today. So when set up, I need to change the settings from ct2 to ct1 so that I can use mio tv? And any major problem so far for the ac87u? Like I won't be able to use the internet? Thanks guys! Another thing is if I want a stable router, I should get Ac68u?
1. Refer to Maylyn previous advice in compatibility with MioTV.

2. Setup is super simple - if you are IT savvy, don't need to read any manual. Asus wizard should help you get it setup.

3. Basic Internet connectivity no major issues. Performance better than AC68U. Current firmware still need to be enhance to reap the full benefits of the latest technology.

4. Major pitfalls for average users - No

5. Shortfalls - still to be tweaked

6. If just need normal wireless router features, then you may not need to invest in a premium consumer class device.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #163

Is a single unit of AC87U put in the bedroom adjacent to the living room sufficient for 5room HDB?

Probably heading down to Comex later to get one. About time to renew my contract with VQ for new BTO but they don't seem to be offering AC87U as an option?
CrazyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #164
Arch-Supremacy Member

1. Refer to Maylyn previous advice in compatibility with MioTV.

2. Setup is super simple - if you are IT savvy, don't need to read any manual. Asus wizard should help you get it setup.

3. Basic Internet connectivity no major issues. Performance better than AC68U. Current firmware still need to be enhance to reap the full benefits of the latest technology.

4. Major pitfalls for average users - No

5. Shortfalls - still to be tweaked

6. If just need normal wireless router features, then you may not need to invest in a premium consumer class device.
.2678 can use CTF2 with/without miotv. Just tested and it works now, though .2061 doesnt.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #165

.2678 can use CTF2 with/without miotv. Just tested and it works now, though .2061 doesnt.
Nice I got 2678 up last night.. Later this evening I trying to put my bridge at 3m at direct unobstructed level as my main router.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.