HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Like Tree652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #466

Ok. Please check your link rate by holding opt while clicking the wifi icon.
i see these

PHY mode: 802.11ac
BSSID: 78:24:af:94:96:3c
channel: 153 (5ghz)
security: WPA2 Personal
RSSI: -71
transmit rate: 59
NicGSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #467
Arch-Supremacy Member

i see these

PHY mode: 802.11ac
BSSID: 78:24:af:94:96:3c
channel: 153 (5ghz)
security: WPA2 Personal
RSSI: -71
transmit rate: 59
ur link speed is 59mbps lor...
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #468

Just disabled Smart QoS and my webpages loaded very very fast!!! Downloads also has an appreciated increase as well. I guess the so-called Adaptive QoS is rather gimmicky IF we do not have many devices using the Wi-Fi...

Another setting I changed is the DNS Server pointing to MyRepublic's very own DNS.
disable adaptive QoS...if using fibre plan..
SimonLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #469

Okay, this is on firmware 2678:

Upload is a little strange now, hmm…
is this speed from wired PC behind media bridge?
Old 15-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #470

How is the wireless speed?
asnnlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #471

ur link speed is 59mbps lor...
anyway to increase the speed?
Old 15-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #472

anyway to increase the speed?
where is your laptop and router located? how many walls in between them? 5GHz does not like walls, signal strength drops considerably when passing thru walls...
xkiller213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #473
Arch-Supremacy Member

I've just installed the AC-RT-87-U asus router. My Asus lappy (U41S) can't detect the 5Ghz wireless network where my iPhone got no problem connecting with 5GHZ. What do i miss out?
Suspect your wireless nic in your Asus lappy does not support dual band.
seller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #474

I have a very odd issue since using the AC87 in bridge mode with my viewqwest zhone router.

I use a VPN service call "hide my a**" VPN, and when I used to enable the service on my laptop directly through the zhone, there was no problem.

Now when i connect to HMA on my laptop going through the asus router, it kills my internet connection.... Entirely.

I am not able to use the internet anymore on any of my devices, even though the VPN is only connected on my laptop. When I quit the VPN app, the internet still does not work on any device. When I restart the laptop, internet still doesn't work. When I restart both the zhone and the asus, internet still does not work. The issue persists both on wifi and Ethernet. I replicates the problem multiple times. After about an hour or so, the internet randomly begins to work again on all my devices

Spoke to the viewqwest team during one of these outages, and they say from their end, it looks like the internet is working. When I go into the asus admin page, I am able to ping various websites. It seems that the router itself is blocking my device access to internet whenever I turn the VPN service on.

The only router changes I have made is update to newest firmware. No other changes made.
arozario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #475

I see, if I buy those AC1200 USB adaptor will help?

Suspect your wireless nic in your Asus lappy does not support dual band.
SGTips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #476

where is your laptop and router located? how many walls in between them? 5GHz does not like walls, signal strength drops considerably when passing thru walls...
Im living in a 5 room flat. The router is in the living room. When im in the 2nd room away from the router, i get the speeds i mentioned.when i am in the 3rd room, i cant even connect to the wifi sometimes

Anyway to improve on this issue?
Old 16-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #477

I have a very odd issue since using the AC87 in bridge mode with my viewqwest zhone router.

I use a VPN service call "hide my a**" VPN, and when I used to enable the service on my laptop directly through the zhone, there was no problem.

Now when i connect to HMA on my laptop going through the asus router, it kills my internet connection.... Entirely.

I am not able to use the internet anymore on any of my devices, even though the VPN is only connected on my laptop. When I quit the VPN app, the internet still does not work on any device. When I restart the laptop, internet still doesn't work. When I restart both the zhone and the asus, internet still does not work. The issue persists both on wifi and Ethernet. I replicates the problem multiple times. After about an hour or so, the internet randomly begins to work again on all my devices

Spoke to the viewqwest team during one of these outages, and they say from their end, it looks like the internet is working. When I go into the asus admin page, I am able to ping various websites. It seems that the router itself is blocking my device access to internet whenever I turn the VPN service on.

The only router changes I have made is update to newest firmware. No other changes made.
Just as an update, this only seems to happen when I choose PTPP as my VPN protocol, rather than OpenVPN in the HMA settings. Selecting OpenVPN, it works, just too slowly to use.

I would say that this is an HMA problem, but strange that selecting the PTPP protocol on my laptop, would kill internet access to all my devices... and that this issue only happens when using that Asus in bridge mode to the zhone, but works fine when using the zhone router directly.
arozario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #478
Arch-Supremacy Member

I see, if I buy those AC1200 USB adaptor will help?
Must be double band then u will see the 5Ghz ssid.

Last edited by SimonLam; 16-09-2014 at 01:27 PM..
seller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #479

This is not a sales thread. Pls follow rules
Old 16-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #480
Master Member

is this speed from wired PC behind media bridge?
Yep exactly
andr3wyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.