HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Like Tree652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #841
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think I've been patient enough and very supportive to provide all the necessary info to identify the issue. But seems a lackluster of support from Asus technical team is just not a good experience for their product.

So goodbye Asus.
Thats true.. I'm now giving RMerlin's firmware a try.. if still cannot, I'll just dump it at marketplace and get a R8000.

But R8000 got support miotv?
Old 20-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #842

for those who have disconnections on their asus87u on 5ghz,what I did was to change it from router mode to access point mode and I do not have the internet dropping issue already.

currently for new BTOs, normally people will put a gigabit router in the utility box and a better wireless router outside, for my case, its the ac87u. so when I run the ac87u in router mode, frequent drops in 5ghz...once on ap mode its ok.

but well, running on ap mode means I am not able to access the router page by the normal way through the browser.
Hmm..what is the normal way to access the router page? Can still access it via ip through browser ma. I'm doing it now.

Just set up a new ac87u as AP in my study. My fiancee said her 5ghz dropped , but personally don't use much wifi, need to monitor. Hope all goes well...
CrazyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #843

Thats true.. I'm now giving RMerlin's firmware a try.. if still cannot, I'll just dump it at marketplace and get a R8000.

But R8000 got support miotv?
Not sure about that but at least the R8000 plays nice with my other existing networking gear.
rapide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #844

Bro, you're still hanging on to Asus?

I've dumped the 87U and replaced it with Netgear R8000 in my setup. No issues whatsoever with 5Ghz and good range as well. Life is short, get something that works for you and move on.

best regards
You made wrong decision. As I described in previous pages

MU-MIMO vs. XStream: The Coming Battle For Wi-Fi Airtime - Another Approach, The Choice - SmallNetBuilder
Asus RT87U MU-MIMO has failed because no client support up to now and Netgear R8000 also failed because it's actually old technology so both are marketing gimmicks

XStream's advertised 3200 Mbps link rate represents the addition of two 1300 Mbps maximum link rates for the 5 GHz radios and one 600 Mbps link rate for 2.4 GHz. So 1300 Mbps is the highest link rate you will see from any device connected to an AC3200 router.XStream is still fundamentally a 3x3 architecture.

I still believe AC1900 technology thus I'm using Netgear R7000 but beta firmware because official firmware always have problem.
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153
Curious with R8000? read forum first
http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

NETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6 Review: Part 2 - SmallNetBuilder

AC1900 routers' 2.4 GHz average throughput, there is a definite clustering of results in the low-to-mid 90 Mbps range on downlink. Still, there is a significant difference (you sure? you mean 95Mbps and 87Mbps ) between the retested original R7000 Nighthawk and the R8000 for downlink; not so much on uplink. Again marketing gimmick

The 5 GHz comparison finds a wider range of results. The big surprise here is that the R7000 does significantly better than the R8000 on downlink and uplink. We'll explore this further in the throughput vs. attenuation plots.

Last edited by sutedy123; 20-11-2014 at 09:19 PM..
sutedy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #845

No right or wrong, again like I said - to each his own.
Get something that works for you

You made wrong decision. As I described in previous pages

MU-MIMO vs. XStream: The Coming Battle For Wi-Fi Airtime - Another Approach, The Choice - SmallNetBuilder
Asus RT87U MU-MIMO has failed because no client support up to now and Netgear R8000 also failed because it's actually old technology so both are marketing gimmicks

XStream's advertised 3200 Mbps link rate represents the addition of two 1300 Mbps maximum link rates for the 5 GHz radios and one 600 Mbps link rate for 2.4 GHz. So 1300 Mbps is the highest link rate you will see from any device connected to an AC3200 router.XStream is still fundamentally a 3x3 architecture.

I still believe AC1900 technology thus I'm using Netgear R7000 but beta firmware because official firmware always have problem.
R7000 - AC1900 Nighthawk - NETGEAR Forums
Curious with R8000? read forum first
R8000 - AC3200 Nighthawk X6 - NETGEAR Forums

NETGEAR R8000 Nighthawk X6 Review: Part 2 - SmallNetBuilder

AC1900 routers' 2.4 GHz average throughput, there is a definite clustering of results in the low-to-mid 90 Mbps range on downlink. Still, there is a significant difference (you sure? you mean 95Mbps and 87Mbps ) between the retested original R7000 Nighthawk and the R8000 for downlink; not so much on uplink. Again marketing gimmick

The 5 GHz comparison finds a wider range of results. The big surprise here is that the R7000 does significantly better than the R8000 on downlink and uplink. We'll explore this further in the throughput vs. attenuation plots.
rapide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #846

Just gotten the RT-AC87U from M1.
Love it very much.

I renewed my M1 contract and upgraded to 1GBPS.

However, I could not get full potential of the 1GBPS from my old router, luckily the M1 folks are kind enough to let me have the option to purchase this router 1 week after I recontracted.

Anyway, here are my questions regarding this router.

1. Is there a way for me to enable SSH on the router? (I was using Buffalo with DD-WRT and was able to)

2. I seem to be able to create only 1 VPN client profile based on OpenVPN, however, the screen says up to 10 profiles. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly?

3. I am using DDNS to access my home IP Cam. Previously while using Buffalo with DD-WRT, I am able to access my IP Cam using the DDNS hostname when I'm within my home network. But now, I can't. I can only access my IP Cam with DDNS hostname using other network. Is there a setting somewhere for this?

Thanks!
beetlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 03:04 AM   #847
Supremacy Member

since you are familiar with DD-WRT, you can always install DD-WRT on your asus router.
Old 21-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #848

Just gotten the RT-AC87U from M1.
Love it very much.

I renewed my M1 contract and upgraded to 1GBPS.

However, I could not get full potential of the 1GBPS from my old router, luckily the M1 folks are kind enough to let me have the option to purchase this router 1 week after I recontracted.

Anyway, here are my questions regarding this router.

1. Is there a way for me to enable SSH on the router? (I was using Buffalo with DD-WRT and was able to)

2. I seem to be able to create only 1 VPN client profile based on OpenVPN, however, the screen says up to 10 profiles. Is there something that I'm not doing correctly?

3. I am using DDNS to access my home IP Cam. Previously while using Buffalo with DD-WRT, I am able to access my IP Cam using the DDNS hostname when I'm within my home network. But now, I can't. I can only access my IP Cam with DDNS hostname using other network. Is there a setting somewhere for this?

Thanks!
Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers - SmallNetBuilder Forums
beetlez likes this.
oric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #849
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi

I'm participating in a betatest program for future FW-releases and I thought I'll share this beta with you guys.

RT-AC87U_3.0.1.4intel7260_378_0-gb8145c1.trx

It is meant to address a particular issue with the Intel 7260 and the Quantenna chipset. In my case regularly all packet flow stops but the wifi link is still up and running and everything appears to be fine.

I'm still testing it but so far the issue has not occurred with my Dell XPS 15 running the latest drivers.
According to zoon who posted on SNB forum, in AC87U official firmware thread, he has included a link to his dropbox to download the beta firmware. So far, I have tried it and it seems relatively stable for me. Will continue to monitor to see what new bugs there are, in the meantime I thought of sharing his contribution on this platform for users facing troubles with wireless performance..

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rceq7vhlo8...145c1.trx?dl=0

For your information, if you are wondering if this beta firmware is legal to be shared, zoon has clarified it to be. You might want to refer to here
Old 21-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #850

What are the setting you guys use? I only get 1bar signal in all my room, I'm living in a normal 5 room bto flat, with the router at the db box, please help me on the setting to maximize the signal strength. Thanks
kkboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #851
Master Member

Up for information regarding the ASUS RT-AC87U.

I will update accordingly when there is new information.

Asus are aware of Apple-specific issues with the RT-AC87U, and are currently working with Quantenna and Apple on the problem. This is why there hasn't been any new public release yet, they want to address this issue first.
oric1 likes this.
Old 22-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #852

Out of desperation, I have gone for the beta mentioned below.

Was about to throw this AC87 out the window, so thought I'd first give this a try. I've only been running it for a few hours, but so far so good. Haven't had a drop yet, so keeping my fingers crossed. Will update when I get my first 5ghz drop. One immediate change I have noticed is that I don't seem to have the issue of the disappearing 5ghz SSID anymore.

On the other website, it says to "perform a reset using the hard button, followed by a nvram reset using the wps button"

1. For the reset using the hard button, does this just mean putting a paper clip in that hole? Do I need to push the button for a certain amount of time?

2. For the the NVRAM reset, do I need to press the button for a certain amount of time?

3. What's the difference between these resets? Is it necessary to do both? I just went to look up the definition of NVRAM and went cross-eyed.

I assume this means I will need put in all my settings again? (though the only things i have changed are the wireless settings as recommended in this thread)

Last edited by arozario; 22-11-2014 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: more info
arozario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 02:44 AM   #853

Just in addition to below, these are the benefits from the new beta I am noticing so far

1. No more disappearing 5ghz SSID
2. The range of the router is now working as expected. 4 rooms over from the router, I now have a stable connection even on 5ghz. I couldn't even surf websites before at that distance, but now I'm even getting 250mbps speedtest results consistently!

I am much happier with this. Going to play around with my apple tv tomorrow to see if those issues are also resolved.
Old 22-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #854

Woah, 350mbps speedtest 4 rooms over....

This is definitely progress.
Old 22-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #855
Arch-Supremacy Member

Out of desperation, I have gone for the beta mentioned below.

Was about to throw this AC87 out the window, so thought I'd first give this a try. I've only been running it for a few hours, but so far so good. Haven't had a drop yet, so keeping my fingers crossed. Will update when I get my first 5ghz drop. One immediate change I have noticed is that I don't seem to have the issue of the disappearing 5ghz SSID anymore.

On the other website, it says to "perform a reset using the hard button, followed by a nvram reset using the wps button"

1. For the reset using the hard button, does this just mean putting a paper clip in that hole? Do I need to push the button for a certain amount of time?

2. For the the NVRAM reset, do I need to press the button for a certain amount of time?

3. What's the difference between these resets? Is it necessary to do both? I just went to look up the definition of NVRAM and went cross-eyed.

I assume this means I will need put in all my settings again? (though the only things i have changed are the wireless settings as recommended in this thread)
I just had my first drop of 5Ghz. Can connect to router wirelessly at full strength but no/poor speed. Just rebooted my router and it works fine now.

Comparing to multiple drops per hour using the previous firmware, only 1 time in 15hrs is considered not bad. will also continue to monitor.

Regarding your questions about reset and resetting nvram, i think the difference is that reset merely puts back the default values into the shell while clearing nvram removes any remnant traces of previous firmware and load it with current firmware details..

Not sure if i am right..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.