Like Tree652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #991

Dear arachnida,

Why don't you test it yourself?

Best regard,
JK
Hi JK,

because I cannot afford to lose my security camera recordings during daytime. I have 5 cams recording to a Synology NAS, testing causes gaps in the recording.

I bought this router especially to have a faster upload to see my cams when I'm outside, but the bug causes my recordings to fail at random times. Not being able to solve these issues will force me to revert back to my old router. I can only experiment when the security cams are not vital, in other words at night time.

Regards,
arachnida
arachnida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #992
Featured Distributor for Hardware Clinic, ASUS eCustomer Service Center

Hi JK,

because I cannot afford to lose my security camera recordings during daytime. I have 5 cams recording to a Synology NAS, testing causes gaps in the recording.

I bought this router especially to have a faster upload to see my cams when I'm outside, but the bug causes my recordings to fail at random times. Not being able to solve these issues will force me to revert back to my old router. I can only experiment when the security cams are not vital, in other words at night time.

Regards,
arachnida
Dear Arachnida,

This firmware just release recently and i have been testing for 2 hours without getting

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 error.

So i think i can't give you answer right now, until i have fully tested the firmware.

Best regard,
JK
arachnida likes this.

For warranty information and repair status:
Click here to enquire

To purchase laptop or zenfone adapter/battery/accessories:
Click here to check the pricing and availability

Other general enquiries or feedback:
Email: marketing_sg@asus.com

*Response may take up to 2-4 working days. Please be patient.

For technical assistance, please contact +65 66369163 Operation hours: Mon~Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm, Extended hours on Wed 5:30pm - 7:00pm, Sat 09:30am - 12.30pm, Closed on Sunday and Public Holiday.

Ensure that you have the product in front of you and that it is turned on, if feasible. In addition, please ensure that you have the following information available: Serial Number (E.g: F5N0BC022939214) Model Number (E.g: UX303LN) Problem encountered

Join ASUS Facebook
Subscribe to ASUS Youtube
ASUS@SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #993
Master Member

Some UI changes observed ~ on 378.3562 beta firmware

NAT - No more CTF 1 mode

Dual WAN - Load Balancing

Will be needing someone/s to re-verify whether load balancing is working or not. Looking good without LAN1 selection tho

Sorry I'm in the mist of revamping part of my networks to 10Gbps LAN and 10Gbps switches and MikroTik CCR while awaiting for my ASRock X99 WS-E/10G to arrive

cyberet likes this.

Last edited by maylyn; 18-12-2014 at 10:43 PM..
maylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #994

The problem with the loop of packets getting my LAN down is still there in this beta release. I updated the WIFI AP only, the main internet FW router was not updated but after a while the AP router LAN LEDs started to blink very fast, an indication the loop is started. Also the log is cluttered up with:

Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: net_ratelimit: 177 callbacks suppressed

I will return both routers to the shop as it seems ASUS is in no hurry to the solve this issue that AFAIK is long outstanding. Both my camera recordings as well as the music by the SonoS system are affected, also surfing is slowed down.

I feel like being treated by ASUS as a beta tester for their unfinished products. I don't mind beta testing, but this "feature" was not mentioned on the box when I bought these rather expensive routers. I don't want to beta test critical equipment on my network. It is not a toy like my Pebble watch, I do like to beta test gadgets like that.

Back to Zyxel or Watchguard, not so many features but at least they do the basic stuff right.
Old 19-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #995

The problem with the loop of packets getting my LAN down is still there in this beta release. I updated the WIFI AP only, the main internet FW router was not updated but after a while the AP router LAN LEDs started to blink very fast, an indication the loop is started. Also the log is cluttered up with:

Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Dec 18 17:18:22 kernel: net_ratelimit: 177 callbacks suppressed

I will return both routers to the shop as it seems ASUS is in no hurry to the solve this issue that AFAIK is long outstanding. Both my camera recordings as well as the music by the SonoS system are affected, also surfing is slowed down.

I feel like being treated by ASUS as a beta tester for their unfinished products. I don't mind beta testing, but this "feature" was not mentioned on the box when I bought these rather expensive routers. I don't want to beta test critical equipment on my network. It is not a toy like my Pebble watch, I do like to beta test gadgets like that.

Back to Zyxel or Watchguard, not so many features but at least they do the basic stuff right.
Dear arachnida,

Please provide me your system log file.

Did you hard reset your router after update the unofficial beta firmware?

Best regard,
JK

Click here to enquire

For technical assistance, please contact +65 66369163 Operation hours: Mon~Fri 9:30am - 5:30pm, Extended hours on Wed 5:30pm - 7:00pm, Sat 09:30am - 12.30pm, Closed on Sunday and Public Holiday.

Ensure that you have the product in front of you and that it is turned on, if feasible. In addition, please ensure that you have the following information available: Serial Number (E.g: F5N0BC022939214) Model Number (E.g: UX303LN) Problem encountered

Join ASUS Facebook
Old 19-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #996
Supremacy Member

Dear @Asus,

It may be a noob question but it's being lingering in my mind. I'm currently on N56U and Singtel 300Mbs plan.

Will purchasing the AC87U improve my LAN performance? I do not really need any wireless upgrade as I only have 3 phones and 3 tablets at home, which were used as a leisure thing.

I do mainly streamings
bratpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #997
High Supremacy Member

Dear @Asus,

It may be a noob question but it's being lingering in my mind. I'm currently on N56U and Singtel 300Mbs plan.

Will purchasing the AC87U improve my LAN performance? I do not really need any wireless upgrade as I only have 3 phones and 3 tablets at home, which were used as a leisure thing.

I do mainly streamings
No.
Unless you upgrade all your client devices to match AC standard
ArcticCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #998
Supremacy Member

No.
Unless you upgrade all your client devices to match AC standard
Thank,

So it'll mean that AC87U is not worth an upgrade given the limitations of existing devices?
Old 19-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #999

Thank,

So it'll mean that AC87U is not worth an upgrade given the limitations of existing devices?
Dear bratpig,

RT-AC87U has better wireless range then your RT-N56U.

Best regard,
JK

Click here to enquire

Join ASUS Facebook
Old 19-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #1000

Dear arachnida,

Please provide me your system log file.

Did you hard reset your router after update the unofficial beta firmware?

Best regard,
JK
Hi JK,

The AP router is now switched off during the daytime. I will make a log later this evening and post the log. I came from Merlin FW, used reset button at back and rebooted.

Regards,
arachnida
Old 19-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #1001
Supremacy Member

Did you get one or four units? This is a directional antenna. You thus need to position it in the right direction if you are trying to maximise range. Also on the client side, your client must also be pointing in the right direction. If you get it right, directional antenna can improve range. In the early days of WiFi (when it was still 802.11b), people built their own directional antenna. The following was one made from a Pringles can.
Got one unit.

A. Yes, I know it is a directional antenna, that is why I bought it.
B. Yes, I also know about the cantennas from a decade ago. Pringles can, coffee can, etc.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #1002

Glad to hear your issue is resolved. Now if only every issue were so easy to correct...
spoke too soon, problem resurfaced
cyberet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #1003
Supremacy Member

Prone to Disconnecting?

Hi all,

I purchased the AC87U at the SITEX show and I have been happy with it so far.

At about the same time I also got a new Aftershock laptop running Windows 8.1.

I have two connections here...A - Singtel ADSL with a 2Wire router and B - Starhub Fiber and this is where the 87U lives.

When I connect to A, the connection is solid...no disconnects or I cannot recall having any.

When I connect to B, I would occasionally get a "Connection is limited" error. Sometimes it happens once every few days and sometimes it happens within minutes of disconnecting and reconnecting to the 87U.

I had originally thought that it was an issue with the 87U and then I read online many reports of this error so I switched to thinking it was a Windows 8.1 problem. But, now that I have been on A for at least 2 days with no issues and thinking that I never seem to have this problem on A I am back to wondering if there is some issue with the 87U?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
IronMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #1004
Supremacy Member

Dear bratpig,

RT-AC87U has better wireless range then your RT-N56U.

Best regard,
JK
Dear JK,

Thank you for your reply, albeit it being quite pointless.

I had already stated that wireless is none of my concern. But it's ok. My experience with ASUS support had already numbed me to these sort of replies
Old 19-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #1005

More bugs !

Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.378_3562

Enviroment :
- Flashed new firmware
- Restarted router
- Hard Reset router
- Upload old configuration.

+ AI Protection ON
+ AQOS OFF
+ USB OFF
+ AI Cloud OFF
+ WifiRouter Mode

Error Encountered :
1. Client number is ALWAYS Zero at General -> Network Map. It should had been 11. It was working fine in previous firmware.
2. Packge loop
kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Received whenever try to update anything to do with LAN/WAN. ( i.e update Client Number ( as above ), change LAN/WAN configuration.
3. No update
WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor

Last edited by BadEnglish; 19-12-2014 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Addendum 3
BadEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.