[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just whacked a unit home. Yes ultra jumbo size sia.

I'm curious why am i given a set of instructions to change switch control to CTF1 just because I'm using singtel fibre?

Shouldnt this be applicable for miotv iptv profile?

Or in general this firmware does not allow CTF2 for 500mbps singtel fibre?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Just whacked a unit home. Yes ultra jumbo size sia.

I'm curious why am i given a set of instructions to change switch control to CTF1 just because I'm using singtel fibre?

Shouldnt this be applicable for miotv iptv profile?

Or in general this firmware does not allow CTF2 for 500mbps singtel fibre?

It's because SingTel Fibre will render the AC87U into an unoperbable state when on CTF2 and the only way is recover is to hard reset back to factory default. Doesn't matter which SingTel Fiber plan you have having. You can try to see for yourself.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I am still tuning the settings...

Current result from my wired PC at AC87U media bridge on MR 1Gbps plan:

Broke my previous bridge record on AC68U.. but still far from 800-850Mbps.

Noticed that my 5Ghz bridge link hit 1170-1300Mbps but not beyond it. Previously on AC68U was 867-1170Mbps.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 700410 kbps (87551.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 475468 kbps (59433.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2014‎ ‎7‎:‎20‎:‎13‎ ‎PM

You using Merlin's latest .46 firmware? I saw a thread on this in SNB forum.

Hi Simon,

You should update to RMerlin's AC87U firmware instead. It's consists of the latest Quantenna public 5GHz drivers as mentioned @ the RMerlin's change log and some minor fixes. ASUS 2061 is already considered old.

We are already testing the next subset of Quantenna 5GHz performance closed drivers.

Code:
[B]376.46 (26-Aug-2014)[/B]

This release is only available for the RT-AC87U, to provide a FW release that uses the [B]latest public wifi driver[/B] for this new router.

- NEW: Merged with Asus GPL 2061.  This is essentially
          the new QTN driver for the AC87.
   - FIXED: Various webui issues with IE10/IE11 (patch by pinwing)
   - FIXED: OpenVPN Client page was visible on the RT-N16
   - FIXED: DHCP pool validation error on VPN Server advanced page.
   - FIXED: Couldn't edit the first VPN Client entry due to broken
          duplicate check (Asus bug)

Here are my two new units. Thanks Maylyn! :D

No problem :D Time to enjoy your new toys.

Something that I'm allow to post to tease and wet your guys appetite :D This is not my highest or final results as yet.

Last edited:

Super

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Everything is big this time round. The router is big and the free gift is also big. Dragging 2 sets home almost exhausted me......

PhotoGrid_1409236952857_zps0ba49775.jpg

Peach Tea

Suspended
Reaction score
I am still tuning the settings...

Current result from my wired PC at AC87U media bridge on MR 1Gbps plan:

Broke my previous bridge record on AC68U.. but still far from 800-850Mbps.

Noticed that my 5Ghz bridge link hit 1170-1300Mbps but not beyond it. Previously on AC68U was 867-1170Mbps.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 700410 kbps (87551.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 475468 kbps (59433.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2014‎ ‎7‎:‎20‎:‎13‎ ‎PM

why u need so fast speed:s11:

ckh98258

Reaction score
Keep receiving "Limited Network / No Internet Access" from AC87 5GHz when I don't face such issue from AC68. Will try switching to 2.4GHz and see whether will it be the same.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i also bought 2 unit. but at $368 each. total $736 as i forgo the headphone from courts booth. If sell in forum at most $50 can get? Lazy to post sell so just $30 off each unit to cut some cost.

Tested the wireless connection in my room. still weak.......... tomorrow night will set up media bridge to see if better.

Today at comex. hooted all this... bought so much stuff unknowingly

bought dlink AC1200 USB adaptor for $39 as temporary use. Dun see y i should pay $109 for the asus one with long gain antenna.......

SwoYnXL.jpg

toshiro_sg

Reaction score
i also bought 2 unit. but at $368 each. total $736 as i forgo the headphone from courts booth. If sell in forum at most $50 can get? Lazy to post sell so just $30 off each unit to cut some cost.

Tested the wireless connection in my room. still weak.......... tomorrow night will set up media bridge to see if better.

bought dlink AC1200 USB adaptor for $39 as temporary use. Dun see y i should pay $109 for the asus one with long gain antenna.......

SwoYnXL.jpg

got discount for the router at Comex?

SimonLam

Reaction score
ok i flashing to Merlin 46.. stay tuned..

Just now too many things to do in evening.. just setup get it running, no time to fine tune.

Also nicely reset factory default, clean up and pack nicely for whoever will be taking over my AC68U :)

ckh98258

Reaction score
ok i flashing to Merlin 46.. stay tuned..

Just now too many things to do in evening.. just setup get it running, no time to fine tune.

Also nicely reset factory default, clean up and pack nicely for whoever will be taking over my AC68U :)

I also just flashed to Merlin 46. Gotta monitor my "Limited Network" issue now.

So how much you intend to let go your AC68? Lucky my colleague taking over so I save the trouble to post/neg/deal.

Btw, anyone know the default antenna was it the standard 6dBi? Now I left over 3 X 9dBi antenna from my AC68 which I ordered from superpowersupply.com don't know what to do with it now.

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
To late to test media bridge tonight.

Been testing the wireless with my existing wireless cameras, laptops and tablets, including streaming movies from PPTV via VQ. So far no problem. Replacing my AC68 with the AC87 on VQ was a breeze.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Re-posting what Gary Key have posted with changelog

New Public Release Firmware - Build 2678

1. This will be up on the support site and servers for auto update late tomorrow.
2. Download here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8-gb2dcaa5.rar
3. Short Fix List

Major Changes

(1) Enhanced the button and LED response time.
(2) Added the application icons in Bandwidth monitor.
(3) Update to Quantenna’s latest driver which can improve long range RT-AC87U to RT-AC87U performance

Minor Changes

(1) Fixed OpenVPN client UI issue.
(2) Fixed the NTP sync error when user manually assigns the NTP server IP.
(3) Fixed AiCloud IE11 compatibility bug.
(4) Fixed USB icon at wrong position in network map.
(5) Fixed reboot issue when changing the 5GHz band from auto to 161.
(6) Fixed PPTP VPN server connection issue due to special character usage

Andread

Reaction score

SwoYnXL.jpg

how is the d-link adapter? thinking of getting 1.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
I also just flashed to Merlin 46. Gotta monitor my "Limited Network" issue now.

So how much you intend to let go your AC68? Lucky my colleague taking over so I save the trouble to post/neg/deal.

Btw, anyone know the default antenna was it the standard 6dBi? Now I left over 3 X 9dBi antenna from my AC68 which I ordered from superpowersupply.com don't know what to do with it now.

Dear ckh98258,

It's 4x 5dbi dual band antenna.

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am currently testing newer beta build.

more feature will be added in future build.

Please feedback to me if you guys encounter any bug.

I might late reply due to comex.

Best regard,
JK

SimonLam

Reaction score
I need tricks to unlock pass 1170.. Any ways to boost 5ghz transmission? Tested Merlin 46 and latest build. Same.

Maybe antenna too short? Noticed the 5Ghz media bridge signal was not full bar, as compared to 2x ac68u at the same spot.

Edit: I put the box under the 2 routers to elevate... seems the link increase to 1300.. still no where near 1500 that Maylyn posted LOL..

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
I need tricks to unlock pass 1170.. Any ways to boost 5ghz transmission? Tested Merlin 46 and latest build. Same.

Maybe antenna too short? Noticed the 5Ghz media bridge signal was not full bar, as compared to 2x ac68u at the same spot.

Edit: I put the box under the 2 routers to elevate... seems the link increase to 1300.. still no where near 1500 that Maylyn posted LOL..

Dear SimonLam,

I advise you not to use 3rd party firmware.

Another new official firmware will be release soon.

Best regard,
JK

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.