[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

evildoctor

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Asus AC87U. Going to check it out this weekend or today. So when set up, I need to change the settings from ct2 to ct1 so that I can use mio tv? And any major problem so far for the ac87u? Like I won't be able to use the internet? Thanks guys! Another thing is if I want a stable router, I should get Ac68u?

SimonLam

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Asus AC87U. Going to check it out this weekend or today. So when set up, I need to change the settings from ct2 to ct1 so that I can use mio tv? And any major problem so far for the ac87u? Like I won't be able to use the internet? Thanks guys! Another thing is if I want a stable router, I should get Ac68u?

1. Refer to Maylyn previous advice in compatibility with MioTV.

2. Setup is super simple - if you are IT savvy, don't need to read any manual. Asus wizard should help you get it setup.

3. Basic Internet connectivity no major issues. Performance better than AC68U. Current firmware still need to be enhance to reap the full benefits of the latest technology.

4. Major pitfalls for average users - No

5. Shortfalls - still to be tweaked

6. If just need normal wireless router features, then you may not need to invest in a premium consumer class device.

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Is a single unit of AC87U put in the bedroom adjacent to the living room sufficient for 5room HDB?

GjvdrI2.jpg

Probably heading down to Comex later to get one. About time to renew my contract with VQ for new BTO but they don't seem to be offering AC87U as an option?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Refer to Maylyn previous advice in compatibility with MioTV.

2. Setup is super simple - if you are IT savvy, don't need to read any manual. Asus wizard should help you get it setup.

3. Basic Internet connectivity no major issues. Performance better than AC68U. Current firmware still need to be enhance to reap the full benefits of the latest technology.

4. Major pitfalls for average users - No

5. Shortfalls - still to be tweaked

6. If just need normal wireless router features, then you may not need to invest in a premium consumer class device.

.2678 can use CTF2 with/without miotv. Just tested and it works now, though .2061 doesnt.

SimonLam

Reaction score
.2678 can use CTF2 with/without miotv. Just tested and it works now, though .2061 doesnt.

Nice :) I got 2678 up last night.. Later this evening I trying to put my bridge at 3m at direct unobstructed level as my main router.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice :) I got 2678 up last night.. Later this evening I trying to put my bridge at 3m at direct unobstructed level as my main router.

:) update us the results again.. loving my ac87u more than ever. Hahas

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is a single unit of AC87U put in the bedroom adjacent to the living room sufficient for 5room HDB?

GjvdrI2.jpg

Probably heading down to Comex later to get one. About time to renew my contract with VQ for new BTO but they don't seem to be offering AC87U as an option?

It is difficult to gauge unless someone has an identical setting. In general the coverage is better and the speed is greater..

I'm afraid there is only one way for u to get it, and it is by paying unsubsidised price from comex lor..

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score

So 2678 firmware CTF2 works with SingTel VLAN now? If so I will amend my postings accordingly.

Busy @ COMEX as well.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So 2678 firmware CTF2 works with SingTel VLAN now? If so I will amend my postings.

Busy @ COMEX as well.

Yeap it does work now.. :) Thanks maylyn for all the inputs! Looking forward to more of ur beta testing posts..

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score

GjvdrI2.jpg

Don't put the router in Bedroom 3. Put it in the Living Room or in the passage way outside of Bedroom 3. If you put it inside Bedroom 3, the wireless signals will have to go through at least 1 more wall (Bedroom 3 wall) before it reaches the other room.

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
I could alternatively put it in the living room data box where all the lan points terminate, but that's on the far end for the MBR. (it's also where the zhone is)

If I put in living room outside of the box, the ac87u can only serve as an AP? I still kind of need something to route my stuff regardless of where I put my ac87u? smart TV etc

bedroom 3 is my study, so most of my com/NAS will probably be there. cracking head for a few months. had some help from andrew too!

Ghostrider333

Reaction score
The NAT acceleration "breaks" easily whenever I make changes to GUI. Eg. Enabling the AI Protection drops the speediest result from 940+ Mbps DL 470mbps UL (1Gbps DL 500mbps UL plan - VQ speedboost) to 90+Mbps for both DL & UL. Will need to test further with the new firmware. But seems to trigger the same issue for a couple of firmware including RMerlin.

Peach Tea

Suspended
Reaction score

GjvdrI2.jpg

never mention what items u be using?
all bdrm got pc?
or pc in study area only?
2.4 or 5ghz handheld?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeap it does work now.. :) Thanks maylyn for all the inputs! Looking forward to more of ur beta testing posts..

Thanks renfred89 for the 2678 CTF2 test inputs.

No problem :D ASUS TW are still working hard in enhancing and fine tuning the performance AC87U that it's can deliver.

ASUS TW devs are out of the control these days with more new things coming along the way :s22: :D (no hints as yet).

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
The NAT acceleration "breaks" easily whenever I make changes to GUI. Eg. Enabling the AI Protection drops the speediest result from 940+ Mbps DL 470mbps UL (1Gbps DL 500mbps UL plan - VQ speedboost) to 90+Mbps for both DL & UL. Will need to test further with the new firmware. But seems to trigger the same issue for a couple of firmware including RMerlin.

AiProtection doesn't have any impact on the CTF1/CTF2 and it's doesn't break it.

Please hard reset to factory default and reconfigure and give it a try again.

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
Results after a firmware reset on both AC87U and placing the router in a 'single-file' formation:

7JklhIxU

With 2678 firmware: 5Ghz media bridge stuck at 1300

UwDmOj24

Latest new record result with laptop connect hardwired to media bridge:
Download Speed: 726119 kbps (90764.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 475195 kbps (59399.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
Friday, 29 August, 2014 5:38:57 PM

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
Some pictures:

1. AC87U vs AC68U box
t1ugMKJN

2. Before switch from AC68U to AC87U
5Dr6rRCu

3. After switch to AC87U
MJQYWCRo

SimonLam

Reaction score
New record after tweaking the beacon interval to lowest

Latest new record result with laptop connect hardwired to media bridge:

9XT5nITg

Download Speed: 782569 kbps (97821.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 476044 kbps (59505.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
Friday, 29 August, 2014 6:10:17 PM

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.