[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

ov2rey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are still problems with VLAN loopback and port forwarding and DMZ dying with latest firmware. It has been MANY MANY months .. I am at the limit of my patience with ASUS.

ASUS@SG please state here for the record, will ASUS Singapore honor a refund out of goodwill? If yes, there is A CHANCE I may buy ASUS products again, if ASUS rejects, I will NEVER BUY another ASUS product again and I will actively persuade friends and family to never buy another ASUS product.

Port forwarding and DMZ working fine :s22:

abfackeln

Reaction score
Just buy another brand and be free of ur problems? Lol... To get a refund after using a product for xx months is rare. Unless the defect is clear enough and BLB in dell monitors. But if the internet works fine, then ur issues isnt strong enough for a refund.

I highly doubt one person's doing can damage ASUS.....

You sir, are a retard. I paid premium dollar for this router, and I expect it to work as advertised. All I'm asking for is A WORKING ROUTER, is that an unreasonable request? I have no wish to damage ASUS, only to warn people against a company that seems unable to create a working product.

ov2rey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You sir, are a retard. I paid premium dollar for this router, and I expect it to work as advertised. All I'm asking for is A WORKING ROUTER, is that an unreasonable request? I have no wish to damage ASUS, only to warn people against a company that seems unable to create a working product.

Please show us proof of port foward not working?

Since the port forwarding was working since 376 until now.

abfackeln

Reaction score
Please show us proof of port foward not working?

Since the port forwarding was working since 376 until now.

Sure it works ... for awhile, then it dies and you have to reset the rules for it to work again, google it, its a common problem.

ov2rey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Post uptime if you can.

Proof of forward port is working fine :s22:

be55ivignix4mue6g.jpg

55aw08f2w5w25686g.jpg

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Since when ASUS advertised port forwarding???

For every finger u point to others as a retard, dun forget 3 of ur fingers are pointing back at yourself as a retard...

Last edited:

dfran1

Reaction score
There are still problems with VLAN loopback and port forwarding and DMZ dying with latest firmware. It has been MANY MANY months .. I am at the limit of my patience with ASUS.

ASUS@SG please state here for the record, will ASUS Singapore honor a refund out of goodwill? If yes, there is A CHANCE I may buy ASUS products again, if ASUS rejects, I will NEVER BUY another ASUS product again and I will actively persuade friends and family to never buy another ASUS product.

I was like you , nothing was working properly at all with Asus or merlins firmware
Right when I thought it was working , I found something else wrong .
So since your at the end of your frustrations like I was find my link and try dd-wrt
All is working perfectly for me , and I mean perfect, something any asus firmware is not capable of
Best of luck

Last edited:

abfackeln

Reaction score
Proof of forward port is working fine :s22:

be55ivignix4mue6g.jpg

55aw08f2w5w25686g.jpg

Seriously I could not be bothered with kiddies trying to be contrarian, my port forwarding/DMZ needs to be reset every 23 hours or so because ASUS does something dumb and overwrites the rules. And YES port forwarding was a feature on a router that costs 1/3 the price ... launched 2 years ago ... so don't be a retard and defend ASUS. They screwed up and don't seem to be capable of fixing it.

abfackeln

Reaction score
Since when ASUS advertised port forwarding???

For every finger u point to others as a retard, dun forget 3 of ur fingers are pointing back at yourself as a retard...

Ok since you opened your mouth I'll embarrass you, it is advertised as a "ROUTER" is it not? Port forwarding is a core component of "ROUTING" is it not?
Or maybe you did not receive sufficient schooling to understand what duties a router should undertake? Heard of Sophos, Smoothwall, pfSense? No? Have you implemented them over 3 interfaces? No? Then stop embarrassing yourself here. Or maybe you are the type of person who buys a car and is OK with it having 3 wheels?

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seriously I could not be bothered with kiddies trying to be contrarian, my port forwarding/DMZ needs to be reset every 23 hours or so because ASUS does something dumb and overwrites the rules. And YES port forwarding was a feature on a router that costs 1/3 the price ... launched 2 years ago ... so don't be a retard and defend ASUS. They screwed up and don't seem to be capable of fixing it.
mine working leh

16 days+ liao

i forwarded tcp 443 and udp 4500 for ssl vpn service :s34:

so far my wireless all working, i got a huawei phone on 2.4ghz keep dying nia. lucky i not using it long term

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Just wish to know why yours does not work after 23 hours? you mean reset or reboot? :s11:

Last edited:

ov2rey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Oh!!!! i shouldn't have switch off my router so i can show you proof to shut your shitting mouth....

We aren't retard.. until now you haven't tell us your firmware version and settings of your router.

Please show us your last system log for 23hours that require to restart router?

Questor

Reaction score
I read through more than 50 pages of this thread.. facing the same issues as what was previously highlighted by some users before:

- Running 2x AC87U, one in router mode, one in access point mode
- Network starts getting loaded with vlan loop messages (kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address)
- Network starts to slow down, and ultimately stall with no internet access. Only recoverable by rebooting the router.
- Other issues: Mac mini will disconnect on 5ghz band, and I wouldn't be able to connect back to it.. I used 2.4ghz at same time and seems ok so far - temporary fix.

I have updated to the latest merlin 378.50 for both with hard reset, and turned off NAT acceleration. Though the vlan errors are still seen in my logs, it doesn't seem to result in the stalling as yet (only up for a few hours).

Anyone in the same situation recommend a different firmware instead? I also read that setting to 2x router config may help.

I also read that we may consider lowering the tx power so as to lower heat, which may improve stability.. is this still a current thought?

Was running N66 and AC68 with no issues for a really long time so this is kind of disappointing.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read through more than 50 pages of this thread.. facing the same issues as what was previously highlighted by some users before:

- Running 2x AC87U, one in router mode, one in access point mode
- Network starts getting loaded with vlan loop messages (kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address)
- Network starts to slow down, and ultimately stall with no internet access. Only recoverable by rebooting the router.
- Other issues: Mac mini will disconnect on 5ghz band, and I wouldn't be able to connect back to it.. I used 2.4ghz at same time and seems ok so far - temporary fix.

I have updated to the latest merlin 378.50 for both with hard reset, and turned off NAT acceleration. Hopefully it lasts.

Anyone in the same situation recommend a different firmware instead? I also read that setting to 2x router config may help.

I also read that we may consider lowering the tx power so as to lower heat, which may improve stability.. is this still a current thought?

Was running N66 and AC68 with no issues for a really long time so this is kind of disappointing.

i'm not a pro in this but perhaps i could share the knowledge with you?

the vlan loop messages in system log has been around for sometime, and usually it does not pose a connectivity issues in real life, except flooding the log with identical messages over time. It happens randomly and unpredictably. if you could ignore this, perhaps it will be less painful for you.

The connectivity on 5Ghz is known to have issues to many devices, apparently apple devices have a greater concern though. I have apple and android devices, both having identical issues apart from my macbook pro, which somehow is connecting well. This problem is speculated to be due to the quantenna chipset driver, which unfortunately is a close-sourced code which asus couldn't improve on. The minor bugs here and there for ac87u concerning the proprietary asuswrt aids in amplifying the limelight for ac87u, making it half-baked etc..

If you look at other routers featuring the same quantenna qsr1000 chip in products with AC2400 speed, they are having the same issues as well. this is solely based on my own observation. As these users are using the less popular routers, their voices are softer than the majority of us using ac87u.

You can turn off NAT acceleration, but to me it doesn't improve any performance significantly, especially when i am using higher speed plans.

Lowering down the heat by placing the router on a cooler pad is just a solution to enhance the lifespan of the router. Its a common knowledge that heat is often the culprit decreasing the lifespan of electronics, and people here have came out with the idea that the 5Ghz radio requires more cooling in order to sustain performance. For me, I do have a cooler now and is currently using, but don't expect a cooler to drop the temperature by a lot. Does it improve lifespan? Well I honestly have no idea.

With the above idea, you may safely use the Tx power at 100%. Lowering down Tx power will decrease temperature by common sense, therefore the logic behind is still about the temp. if you have a cooler, why not use it at 100%? Moreover, buying a good router but using Tx power at lower setting kinda defeats the purpose right?

I am facing the same disappointment like you, but do look out for the firmware update after CNY, as promised by asus. If it is not ideal by then, then its the greatest insult to the reputation they have built over the years.. :s8:

dfran1

Reaction score
The connectivity on 5Ghz is known to have issues to many devices, apparently apple devices have a greater concern though. I have apple and android devices, both having identical issues apart from my macbook pro, which somehow is connecting well. This problem is speculated to be due to the quantenna chipset driver, which unfortunately is a close-sourced code which asus couldn't improve on. The minor bugs here and there for ac87u concerning the proprietary asuswrt aids in amplifying the limelight for ac87u, making it half-baked etc..

If you look at other routers featuring the same quantenna qsr1000 chip in products with AC2400 speed, they are having the same issues as well. this is solely based on my own observation. As these users are using the less popular routers, their voices are softer than the majority of us using ac87u.

You can turn off NAT acceleration, but to me it doesn't improve any performance significantly, especially when i am using higher speed plans.

Lowering down the heat by placing the router on a cooler pad is just a solution to enhance the lifespan of the router. Its a common knowledge that heat is often the culprit decreasing the lifespan of electronics, and people here have came out with the idea that the 5Ghz radio requires more cooling in order to sustain performance. For me, I do have a cooler now and is currently using, but don't expect a cooler to drop the temperature by a lot. Does it improve lifespan? Well I honestly have no idea.

I am facing the same disappointment like you, but do look out for the firmware update after CNY, as promised by asus. If it is not ideal by then, then its the greatest insult to the reputation they have built over the years.. :s8:

I can tell you its not the drivers, as you should know by now I am running dd-wrt firmware for over 4 days now and everything I use is perfect, 5GHz is just perfect also, no iOS or and device drops locks or anything . Why am I telling you this , because Asus uses the same drivers and can not get it right at all, when now mine is working perfectly FINALLY! Yes put a cooler under it also.
Best of luck, with Asus firmware, I know, I tried them all. I now love this router !!!

BestPilot

Reaction score
I can tell you its not the drivers, as you should know by now I am running dd-wrt firmware for over 4 days now and everything I use is perfect, 5GHz is just perfect also, no iOS or and device drops locks or anything . Why am I telling you this , because Asus uses the same drivers and can not get it right at all, when now mine is working perfectly FINALLY! Yes put a cooler under it also.
Best of luck, with Asus firmware, I know, I tried them all. I now love this router !!!

Hi dfran1, can share the stable version of the ASUS RT-AC87U dd-wrt firmware? Thanks!

oric1

Reaction score
This is how busy the phone and router are when I'm asleep, fw is 378.50.

Feb 17 01:17:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:17:34 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:20:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:20:45 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:28:16 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:28:16 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:32:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:32:48 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:43:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:43:39 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone
Feb 17 01:45:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPREQUEST(br0)
Feb 17 01:45:20 dnsmasq-dhcp[2638]: DHCPACK(br0) iPhone

It doesn't connect back until I wake up.

Now I'm back to 2769 again. :D

I'm also using iPhone 6 Plus and on Merlin .50 but sometime got full bar on 5Ghz but no internet, need to select 2.4 then 5 again, very frustrating.

Would you be able to interpret the log for me? What's DHCPREQUEST(br0) & what's DHCPACK(br0)? Thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.