[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try reboot your devices after re-configured.
After reboot, try connect the device one by one to isolate the problems and find the missing link.

reboott already.. cant access my dlink gui page(192.168.2.1)

still have no idea..

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay.

Found a way to access my Dlink GUI configuration page from my asus.

I enable remote management on my dlink. Put a port number.

Connect using the DHCP address:port number.

Works.

thanks all.

ryanswj

Reaction score
Hi! Just got my ASUS N66U to replace my 2Wire 5012NV and sad to say I've been disappointed by the speeds. The 2Wire outperforms the ASUS N66U in every aspect, whether it is LAN or WLAN. I have signed up for the Singtel ExStream 150Mbps plan. N66U is connected to LAN1 of ONT, and I have used the Singtel-Mio profile.

Using speedtest.com.sg via LAN, I get the following results:

2Wire 5012NV: 150Mbps
ASUS N66U: 100Mbps

On WLAN, I get:

2Wire 5012NV: ~65Mbps
ASUS N66U: ~45Mbps

It seems here that the ASUS WAN port is capped at 100Mbps, hence causing the other computers on my network to suffer. Does anyone have this issue? Is this normal? Any feedback would be great!

Thanks again! :)

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi! Just got my ASUS N66U to replace my 2Wire 5012NV and sad to say I've been disappointed by the speeds. The 2Wire outperforms the ASUS N66U in every aspect, whether it is LAN or WLAN. I have signed up for the Singtel ExStream 150Mbps plan. N66U is connected to LAN1 of ONT, and I have used the Singtel-Mio profile.

On WLAN, I get:

It seems here that the ASUS WAN port is capped at 100Mbps, hence causing the other computers on my network to suffer. Does anyone have this issue? Is this normal? Any feedback would be great!

ermm, i just did the exact same thing you did, bought the 66u. but my setup is ONT> 2wire (port 1 gigabit) > n66u (wan port)

setup 66u as AP and disable wireless on 2wire via 192.168.1.254 under wireless settings.

on 5ghz able to hit 103mbps out of my 100mbps plan. and my 2.4ghz channel can now reach my toilet which is about 4 thick walls away.

super satisfied with this product compared to the one singtel provided us consumers with.

ryanswj

Reaction score
Hi there! Thanks for your reply!

However, I really want to use the advanced functionality (more upload/download sessions, VPN server) of the N66U, and I can only do this while connected directly to the ONT. Plus, won't going straight to the ONT yield better results anyway? Since it doesn't have to go through mio box to get to the Internet?

AFAIK all ports on the N66U are gigabit, so I don't see why I am getting this bandwidth limitation!

Thank you! :)

m4gg0t

Reaction score
i got the router to work with singtel fiber, but now i have a new problem, the router keeps rebooting itself every 5mins. i tried different firmwares, and reset to default settings but nothing seems to work. Do i have to RMA it??

h030831

Reaction score

On WLAN, I get:

ryanswj,
What firmware version is the Asus RT N66 U on?

h030831

cyberlee007

Reaction score
Guess may need to used the older ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.3.108. Believe that version most singtel fibre users said all working, unless someone have any solutions?

h030831

Problem solved.
My mistakes. Plugged to the wrong ethernet port as it should plugged to the WAN port of Pace gateway.

Thanks all for your help !

Cyberboy128

Reaction score
Successfully setup RT-N66U .162 to use with Starhub fibre plan. Speed is great however, I noticed a very funny bug. When there is a download using download manager, certain sites will not load properly (even using different machines). My son's Minecraft also will not connect. When this happens, acecss to speed test is ok and speed test with good speeds. (So its not the case where the WAN bandwidth max out).

When download is complete, all is back to normal. Tested firmware .151 and 162 with same results.

Anyone any clue what went wrong?

ryanswj

Reaction score

On WLAN, I get:

I've got this figured out! Apparently the LAN cable I was using to connect the N66U to the ONT wasn't a good quality one. Used the same LAN cable to connect directly to the 2Wire and received crappy speeds too. Once I replaced the LAN cable, the speeds went back to 150Mbps.

Thank you everyone for all the help you've provided!

Moral of the story: Not all LAN cables are created equal!

archangel_aipha

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need some help here. Recently bought the rt n66 u router to replace the pace modem given by singtel. I am connecting the ONT directly to the asus N66 u. Internet(100mbps) is working fine but only yields ~45mbps(I have already changed to a better cable). Is there any way to increase this Download speed? And also the mio voice is not working. How do i make it work or do I have to use the Pace modem given by Singtel? Miotv (not together with the fibre plan, still using the analogue line) is also not working now. Any ideas?

ryanswj

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I need some help here. Recently bought the rt n66 u router to replace the pace modem given by singtel. I am connecting the ONT directly to the asus N66 u. Internet(100mbps) is working fine but only yields ~45mbps(I have already changed to a better cable). Is there any way to increase this Download speed? And also the mio voice is not working. How do i make it work or do I have to use the Pace modem given by Singtel? Miotv (not together with the fibre plan, still using the analogue line) is also not working now. Any ideas?

Hi there!

1. Are you doing your speed test over LAN or WLAN? Also, which website are you using to do a speed test?

2. To use mio voice/TV, you must set the correct profile in LAN settings. Click LAN, then click IPTV, then select the Singtel-MIO profile. Then connect your Pace modem to the 3rd LAN port on the ASUS, then restart the Pace modem.

As for your mioTV, you can try this - connect your mioTV STB to the 4th port of the ASUS. Restart mioTV STB. I don't think this will work though, because your mioTV is using analogue and not fibre.

raidorz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's a diff between wires? I'm getting the router this saturday. For the WAN cable I'm using the cat 6 yellow cable provided by Singtel. Got diff?

durianking

Reaction score
Ok this is weird... it works when I'm using wireless (as in, the wireless from the same router I'm trying to VPN into). It doesn't work via 3G on my iPhone though. :s11::s11::s11:

On iPhone, go the the Cellular Data setting and change the APN, Username and password all to internet, the default e-ideas is not working (you can surf Internet but not able to connect other Singtel ip address).

SExiao

Master Member
Reaction score
I see you guys just buy the Asus RT-N66U and just change like that..... can just change like that meh??? Esp for those SH Fibre user.... the CSO told me CANNOT..... period.... can only do bridging and I told them wtf for... I change because wanna get rid of your Huawei router.... :D

Only reason to change is this Asus got better wireless performance???

shawn_sboi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see you guys just buy the Asus RT-N66U and just change like that..... can just change like that meh??? Esp for those SH Fibre user.... the CSO told me CANNOT..... period.... can only do bridging and I told them wtf for... I change because wanna get rid of your Huawei router.... :D

Only reason to change is this Asus got better wireless performance???

U can ask the CSO to unlock the ONT for you.

check starhub thread for more details.

The speed is really is better :)

SExiao

Master Member
Reaction score
U can ask the CSO to unlock the ONT for you.

check starhub thread for more details.

The speed is really is better :)

Spoke to them already... just tell me NO... told him their Huawei one CMI, also tell me cannot... nbzzz...:s8:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.