[Maylyn's Review ~ Networking] ASUS RP-N53

upgrade

Reaction score
I have gone back to the homeplug solution. Since I am using 6 x TL-PA551 AV500 homeplugs, I bought a TP-Link TL-WPA4220 AV500 300Mbps WiFi Extender that was released only recently.

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/?categoryid=1658&model=TL-WPA4220

This my original plan to plug an extender into a wall power socket in the corridor where the 3 bedroom doors are clustered so I can disable the WiFi in the routers in the 3 bedrooms.

I am getting average about 100Mbps with the homeplugs. Since a homeplug WiFi extender will not suffer a 50-60% drop in WiFi speed, I am still getting 100 Mbps from the TL=WPA4220... and channel bonding as confirmed with inSSIDer. At this speed, single 2.4 Ghz band will do.

A big advantage is I can plug this extender anywhere I may need to get that WiFi. In the wash area service balcony twists and turns around walls with structural columns. You cannot do this with pure WiFi repeater since no signal there to repeat. It also come with 2 x 10/100Mbps Ethernet port should I need them.

Finally, this is the best.

Now, what to do with the RT-N56U...that I swapped to with a top-up after the 2nd RP-N53 conked too? Initial project failed and money burned.

Last edited:

blaster1102

Reaction score
Alright guys,

I've went ahead to purchase the netgear WN3500RP range extender. Results are super disappointing. Can barely hit 2mbps on speedtest.net whereas the asus rp n53 can hit upwards of 10mbps. When i placed the netgear set at the same location of the rp-n53, the asus repeater seems to be able to pick up a much stronger 5ghz frequency than the netgear set. I usually get 2-3 bar of 5ghz on the asus but keeps getting a red on the netgear (netgear goes by green amber red). I think it has something to do with the beamforming technology asus has implemented but no substantial evidence regards to that.

Till now, i can only hope that asus work on the hardware of the rp53n or release a better/newer model to replace the broken hardware.

BTW, for those who bought the netgear set, do set the region settings to north america as the europe settings currently do not support the high channel numbers from 149 - 165. Took me 2 whole days to figure that out as i constantly cannot detect 5ghz from my asus ac66u. Once i changed to the north america region, i could detect the 5ghz.

Cheers

ahyoo2002

Reaction score
I have gone back to the homeplug solution. Since I am using 6 x TL-PA551 AV500 homeplugs, I bought a TP-Link TL-WPA4220 AV500 300Mbps WiFi Extender that was released only recently.

TL-WPA4220 - Welcome to TP-LINK

This my original plan to plug an extender into a wall power socket in the corridor where the 3 bedroom doors are clustered so I can disable the WiFi in the routers in the 3 bedrooms.

I am getting average about 100Mbps with the homeplugs. Since a homeplug WiFi extender will not suffer a 50-60% drop in WiFi speed, I am still getting 100 Mbps from the TL=WPA4220... and channel bonding as confirmed with inSSIDer. At this speed, single 2.4 Ghz band will do.

A big advantage is I can plug this extender anywhere I may need to get that WiFi. In the wash area service balcony twists and turns around walls with structural columns. You cannot do this with pure WiFi repeater since no signal there to repeat. It also come with 2 x 10/100Mbps Ethernet port should I need them.

Finally, this is the best.

Now, what to do with the RT-N56U...that I swapped to with a top-up after the 2nd RP-N53 conked too? Initial project failed and money burned.

Wow, the speed you get is really high.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bump up this thread... Is the durabilty issue resolved already? I saw these at challenger and the h/w version is A1. This fit my usage perfectly with the concurrent dual band and especially the night light function which i would actually be replacing one with. But read the problems encountered with 5g abit scared.

EVOIII

Reaction score
Bump up this thread... Is the durabilty issue resolved already? I saw these at challenger and the h/w version is A1. This fit my usage perfectly with the concurrent dual band and especially the night light function which i would actually be replacing one with. But read the problems encountered with 5g abit scared.

forget it.. you want PM me your contact i give to you FREE as paper weight!!

Honey_Dew

Reaction score
worth?

hello all, im using the asus router. its located in my living room and as my room cannot receive the 5G connection, so saw the RP-N53 in challenger selling at 119. is it worth it now? thanks for the help in advance.

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If 5GHz problem not settle, better dun waste time with this device.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
hello all, im using the asus router. its located in my living room and as my room cannot receive the 5G connection, so saw the RP-N53 in challenger selling at 119. is it worth it now? thanks for the help in advance.

If 5GHz problem not settle, better dun waste time with this device.

Dear Honey,

Please bring your device to Avertek service centre for exchange for incase you have a faulty device and request them for firmware update as well.

You may find Avertek service centre address below.

Avertek Enterprises Pte Ltd

95 Kallang Avenue #03-00
AIS Industrial Building Singapore 339420
Tel: (65) 6341 7839 Fax: (65) 63417739

Operating Hours

9.30am - 6.00 pm ( Mondays – Friday)

Closed on Saturday, Sundays and Public Holidays

Dear phayze,

We have already resolve the past 5Ghz issue.

Please let me know if you have the same problem.

Best regard,
JK

Honey_Dew

Reaction score
Dear Honey,

Please bring your device to Avertek service centre for exchange for incase you have a faulty device and request them for firmware update as well.

95 Kallang Avenue #03-00

Operating Hours

Dear phayze,

Best regard,
JK

Hi Jk,

thanks for the prompt reply. is the one that is currently selling at challengers the one that have no more 5G issues? the one with the 2014 hardwarezone tech awards reader's choice label on it.

Fizzo8

Reaction score
Dear Honey,

95 Kallang Avenue #03-00

Operating Hours

Dear phayze,

Best regard,
JK

Anyone still here to help? My asus repeater seems to work for a while but then after an hour all my main signal and repeated ones lose connection. I have to off and on back my router.
My repeater also never seems to show 5Ghz strength.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.