HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Maylyn's Review ~ Networking] Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Like Tree329Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Master Member

[Maylyn's Review ~ Networking] Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

Thanks to the kind folks over @ Viewqwest and gang for bringing the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite to the more advanced & technical inclined group of users.

Presenting the world's first sub-$100, one million packet-per-second router, powered by the feature rich EdgeOS featuring a next-generation graphical user interface.

So some might ask? what is so good about this router? It's so good because it's more than capable of delivering performance even @ in excess 1Gbps WAN ~ LAN, everything is configurable, IPv6 works and @ the fantastic price point and the list goes on.

I will have to split my humble overview in parts over a course of days as to get myself familiarize the workings of this router.

PS ~> it's not your normal off the self plug and play router but it's gleaming with goodness

The bottom line is that this is not a router that the average router buyer should even consider. It is poorly documented, difficult to set up and will test your patience unless you have experience with the Linux command line, understand routing mechanics and know what router interfaces are and how to use them. Not to mention that it has only, at best, two LAN ports, if you are willing to delve into the command line to bridge the two. So you'll probably need to buy a Gigabit switch to go along with it.
Package

Contents

Interface

Preparation in progress

Login UI

That's all for now, stay tuned for more ^^

Last edited by maylyn; 08-05-2013 at 10:41 AM..
maylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Master Member

Updating this thread with a working Edgerouter Lite connected to the Internet via DHCP on IPv4

Rather posting complex configuration + i'm weak in my CLI (don't waste time to dive back into my books) /sorry + i'm trying to make my overview as simple for normal networking users to appreciate what Ubiquiti has to offer (it's really good)

I have reference to Tim Higgins from smallnetbuilder posting's to make things as simple as possible. Thanks Tim Higgins.

Interested users can just download the first configurable file (this should suffice) and follow my subsequent steps and you are connected to Internet in couple of minutes.

More powerful users are welcome to post theirs thoughts and knowledge

Important note in bold

In my review of Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter Lite (ERL), I promised some help with getting the router from its out-of-box raw state that doesn't function as a basic NAT router into something that actually works as a NAT router!

The SOHO Edgemax Example in the Edgemax Wiki is a good resource in that it tells you what the configuration changes are. But when I tried to follow it, I screeched to an early halt because the first thing it has you do is change your LAN connection to from the default port 0 (eth0) to port 1 (eth1). If you are not careful how you do this, you end up disconnected from the router admin and need to reset to start all over again.

So, instead of making you stumble through your first configuration, I've prepared two configuration files, described below, for your uploading pleasure. Either one will get you connected to the internet. Choose the one that is the closest to what you want.

ubnt_erl_bridge_config.tar.gz [Download link]

This is a basic router configuration with one WAN and two LAN ports with DHCP connection type for WAN and DHCP server for the LAN. Specifically:

Configures port 0 as WAN, expecting a simple DHCP connection
Configures the ERL's admin address as 192.168.1.1
Bridges ports 1 and 2, essentially forming a two-port switch for LAN connection
Configures a DHCP LAN server, serving addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200
Configures a simple NAT router to share the internet with all LAN clients
Configures a firewall rules blocking all inbound WAN-to-LAN traffic to LAN clients and to router itself

ubnt_erl_2lan_w_dhcp.tar.gz [Download link]

This configuration supports two subnets on the LAN side, with different IP ranges for each. Both subnets have internet connection, but do not allow connection between them.

Configures port 0 as WAN, expecting a simple DHCP connection
Configures the ERL's admin address as 192.168.1.1 on port 1 and 192.168.2.1 on port 2
Configures a 192.168.1.0 subnet with DHCP LAN server, serving addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 on port 1
Configures a second 192.168.2.0 subnet with DHCP LAN server, serving addresses from 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.200 on port 2
Configures a simple NAT router allowing internet connection to both subnets
Configures a firewall rules blocking all inbound WAN-to-LAN traffic to both LAN subnets and to router itself

Both configurations use the default ubnt / ubnt login.
Full read ~> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...dgerouter-lite
newkidontheblock likes this.

Last edited by maylyn; 08-05-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Master Member

Setting up the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

You need to setup your networking adapter as static IP first (i.e 192.168.1.100) for the initial setup, connect your cable to eth0

Login ~ https://192.168.1.1 (default ~ ubnt/ubnt)

After you have login, ERL's dashboard will be shown

You will need to update the default shipping firmware EdgeOS 1.0.2 to the latest EdgeOS 1.1.0 there are fixes

Download ~> www.ubnt.com/downloads

Reboot the router when updating is done

Login to router once again

Download and apply the first configuration file

NOTE! You do not get a confirmation prompt and file upload is pretty much instantaneous. So be sure you select the correct file!

Respond to the prompt to reboot the router to apply the configuration. When the reboot starts, move your computer from port 0 to port 1. This is because both configurations change the LAN connection from port 0 to port 1. Connect your modem or internet connection device to port 0. Wait about a minute for the router to reboot

Remove the static IP settings from your computer and set it to obtain its IP address automatically, i.e. be a DHCP client. Force a DHCP release/renew on your computer or do a connection repair or whatever you need to do to get your client to perform a DHCP request. Check that the IP address is in the proper range and that the Gateway and DNS both point to 192.168.1.1

If the client IP address information checks out, then you should be good to go. Point your browser at your favorite site and enjoy!

Last edited by maylyn; 08-05-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Master Member

Once everything is running, one of the first things you'll want to do is get rid of the default 'ubnt' user (or at least change it to a strong password)

Creating new user

Do a logout and login the newly created user (in this case ~ admin) and delete the ubnt user if needed

Some speedo tests

SpeedTest ~ ViewQwest

Nothing of the unusual, it's barely stressing the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, capping my subscribed plan

SpeedTest ~ SGIX

ViewQwest SpeedTest 2.0

Single Utorrent

Almost 10MB/s on Utorrent, do bear in mind it's only a single Utorrent download. I must have very good seeders ^^ only 19 connected

Still not fast enough? How about 1Gbps? which internet service provider even has it? This This Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite will leave almost all pro-consumers routers behind it's tail smelling smoke from far far away lol

Image Credits ~ ndoo

Last edited by maylyn; 10-05-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Master Member

ViewQwest IPv6 + Unifi 3.0 AP AC + others

Last edited by maylyn; 10-05-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #6

looking forward to your review. thanks for doing this.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Master Member

Basic setting up part is updated, now comes the hard part
Old 08-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Master Member

Great, any MSRP? going to sell off my RT-N56U since I have 2 Unifi on the way hehe
Prefer config file style to rigid Web UI
weap0nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Master Member

Updated with some speedo tests

Some speedo tests

SpeedTest ~ ViewQwest

Nothing of the unusual, it's barely stressing the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, capping my subscribed plan

SpeedTest ~ SGIX

ViewQwest SpeedTest 2.0

Single Utorrent

Almost 10MB/s on Utorrent, do bear in mind it's a single Utorrent download. I must have very good seeders ^^ only 19 connected

Still not fast enough? How about 1Gbps? which internet service provider even has it? This Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite will leave almost all pro-consumers routers behind it's tail smelling smoke from far far away lol

Image Credits ~ ndoo

Last edited by maylyn; 10-05-2013 at 10:25 PM..
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Master Member

Great, any MSRP? going to sell off my RT-N56U since I have 2 Unifi on the way hehe
Prefer config file style to rigid Web UI
I don't have any MSRP given to me but the pricing is decent enough IMHO

Need to brush up my Linux CLI having been so used to GUI, At the very least, Ubiquiti Edgerouter GUI is decent enough for basic setup

As for the AP, i'm eyeing on the new Unifi 3.0 AP AC tho armed with this babes nothing can come close to it's WiFi performance, reliability and scalability

Zero Hand-Off Roaming technology

Ubiquiti’s new UniFi 3.0 software offers unique and innovative “Zero Hand-Off Roaming” technology that enables mobile users to roam anywhere and seamlessly maintain their connection as they switch to the nearest AP.

cyberet and newkidontheblock like this.

Last edited by maylyn; 10-05-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Master Member

Guys.. where can i purchase the unifi? Been hunting around like no tomorrow...

Cept bring in from overseas?

Last edited by dethangel; 11-05-2013 at 07:15 PM..
dethangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

u can buy from ebay shipping charges cheaper then their online reseller

small update:
i ask a friend to check the price see got any cheaper let u guys knows

Last edited by MOBOGUY; 11-05-2013 at 09:58 PM..
MOBOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Featured Sponsor for Internet Bandwidth & Networking Clinic + Sub Forums

We have stock reserved for Viewqwest customers.
viewqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Master Member

u can buy from ebay shipping charges cheaper then their online reseller

small update:
i ask a friend to check the price see got any cheaper let u guys knows
Thanks! Do let me know as i'm interested.

We have stock reserved for Viewqwest customers.
.. more reasons to spend.

Not really into the AC unifi - more towards to the Unifi AP Pro.

If you guys got the pricing don't mind PM me
Old 12-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
High Supremacy Member

While not in picture, You forgot to mention one thing...

It is Made in China (Nooo!!)
liangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.