HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #286
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yeah it’s untrue. Receiving sms abroad is totally free, what’s not free is the sending of sms abroad.

Voice mail and such are usually provisioned at time of sign up and usually will be stated in contract when the promo period will last. Can always choose to remove it right from the start and substitute with caller alert if one wants, like what I did..

Don't think this is true...
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #287

Yeah it’s untrue. Receiving sms abroad is totally free, what’s not free is the sending of sms abroad.

Voice mail and such are usually provisioned at time of sign up and usually will be stated in contract when the promo period will last. Can always choose to remove it right from the start and substitute with caller alert if one wants, like what I did..

well, i learnt from my lesson from starhub...

fyi, receiving sms is free only when ppl sent u... when telco sent u sms for overseas missed call alert, then it's a totally different story... go check M1 how much they charge u for tat as they're the only one ethical telco upfront abt such charges...

for my case, i went overseas recd "free" missed call alerts, nvr even pick up calls... came back, my bill got a few incoming roaming airtime, many with <30 secs n they charged $1.90 (Bali) per call...

voicemail vas; many ppl din know the mechanics how it works so when it's "free", ppl just take... any incoming calls diverted to ur voicemail = outgoing airtime charged under ur bill, local/overseas depending on ur location... so when ppl happily recording their msg when u're overseas, u've to bear outgoing roam airtime...

Don't think this is true...
feel free to prove me wrong....

Last edited by CareBears; 21-03-2018 at 12:19 PM..
CareBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #288
Supremacy Member

wahh!!! reli fast for them to arrange installation... cham, my cso haven got back to me abt my migration after i rece email for the successful transfer of ownership of home analogue line...

if ur analogue line is bundled with ur adsl plan, call hotline to de-bundle it n set as standalone service... u'll nid to pay quarterly fee of $30 for the line itself + outgoing usage...

there're many epl streaming sites online, just do a quick google search of the match u wana watch... my 3mbs adsl plan has served me well to watch live epl matches via streaming sites with no lags... hint: sportstec stream

of course with free streaming, u may nid to choose or change channels if quality isn't gd or commentary isn't in english but i've no qualms doing it

is ur analogue line bundled under ur fibre plan? it's weird if they charge u fibre plan + home analogue line quarter fee separately when u've requested not to accept their digital line service... u may wana try 1609 again to tell them nicely abt this issue...

am pretty sure of the tagline "different ppl different answer" until u find one cso kind enuff to dig the matter thoroughly...
Will see if they call again, was scheduled one. Cant be bothered to call again earlier as I wasted 1 hour + each time
All will try to push the 1 Gpbs plan in your face and set a high price for the 500 one so you can't downgrade plan till full 24 months later.

If no choice then wait till contract up and see all the telco offers in June.
whatheheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #289

Exclamation

Waited 3 days for the promised call back from cso on monday for NLT n Singtel appt date...

just called, finally got my installation date next wed...

Analogue home line when bundled with fibre is confirmed waiver for quarterly fee of $30, pay only for outgoing calls (less than a cent per min or 30secs, off or peak)...

no 500mb data sim card, only for 1gb fibre plan, better too...

asked cso to remove those free 3-mth add-ons but still appeared on the soft copy service agreement form...

anti spam + anti virus(tagged with email), online storage 10Gb ($9.99/mth, waived for fibre customers), email ($6.90/mth, free 12mths)

equipments belong to singtel, if dun recontract, nid return within 7 days to somewhere (cso machine gun-ed the tnc n penalties)...

Last edited by CareBears; 22-03-2018 at 11:12 PM..
Old 22-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #290

Waited 3 days for the promised call back from cso on monday for NLT n Singtel appt date...

just called, finally got my installation date next wed...

no 500mb data sim card, only for 1gb fibre plan, better too...

asked cso to remove those free 3-mth add-ons but still appeared on the soft copy service agreement form...

anti spam (free 3mths), anti virus(free 3mths), online storage ($9.99/mth, waived 1st mth on contract din say free how long), email ($6.90/mth, free 12mths)

equipments belong to singtel, if dun recontract, nid return within 7 days to somewhere (cso machine gun-ed the tnc n penalties)...
I migrated last Jun using the online form application so I was able to unchecked all options & got the $5x registration fee waived.
kw442 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 06:42 PM   #291
High Supremacy Member

Seems like Business DSL will end on 31st March..

https://smemobile.bizportal.singtel....FVFFKwodjnAFpg
amazingone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #292
High Supremacy Member

The Singtel field engineer came and installed the fibre just now, now enjoying the fast speed of fibre.

Finally said goodbye to ADSL after 10 years..
kw442 likes this.
Old 23-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #293

The Singtel field engineer came and installed the fibre just now, now enjoying the fast speed of fibre.

Finally said goodbye to ADSL after 10 years..
wahhh congrats!!! lol.... did u ask them to lay cable for u?

got a desktop in the room behind tv, where my onr will be installed next wed, so thinking whether shuld i lay or just get wifi adapter for my desktop
Old 23-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #294
High Supremacy Member

wahhh congrats!!! lol.... did u ask them to lay cable for u?

got a desktop in the room behind tv, where my onr will be installed next wed, so thinking whether shuld i lay or just get wifi adapter for my desktop
The field engineer did ask me if I want to place the router near the TP(beside the living room TV), or in my study room(my PC located at there, also my ADSL modem). I just say place it near the TP will do, because I also bought a WiFi extender to place in the study room.

Now I don't know what to do with the ADSL modem haha, no use also..
Old 23-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #295

The field engineer did ask me if I want to place the router near the TP(beside the living room TV), or in my study room(my PC located at there, also my ADSL modem). I just say place it near the TP will do, because I also bought a WiFi extender to place in the study room.

Now I don't know what to do with the ADSL modem haha, no use also..
oh! they can put in study room... better for me too... not sure will charge extra anot if they put in study rm instead at living rm, tv beside TP...

my PC in the rm just behind tv with a wall in b/w... ur wifi connection strong for ur PC?
Old 23-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #296

Question Forced To Use Fibre ............

now that i'm forced to switch to fibre by Singtel............is the connection like below ?...........

1) wall outlet to Optical Network Terminal (ONT) using fibre optic cable

2) ONT to PC using LAN cable

i don't need any wireless feature since i use desktop...........so above connection is correct ?...........the ONT is replacing my present modem ?
napoleon bohlumpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #297
High Supremacy Member

oh! they can put in study room... better for me too... not sure will charge extra anot if they put in study rm instead at living rm, tv beside TP...

my PC in the rm just behind tv with a wall in b/w... ur wifi connection strong for ur PC?
I think you ask them first if it's chargeable to put in the study room or not.

Since your PC is in the room behind your TV where the TP is located, WiFi signal should be good or you can lay LAN cable to the room.
My WiFi connection is strong for my PC in the study room, was surprised haha because initially thought it wouldn't be strong enough.
Old 23-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #298

I think you ask them first if it's chargeable to put in the study room or not.

Since your PC is in the room behind your TV where the TP is located, WiFi signal should be good or you can lay LAN cable to the room.
My WiFi connection is strong for my PC in the study room, was surprised haha because initially thought it wouldn't be strong enough.
humm if it's fast then I'll stick with wireless instead laying cable to room, scared messy... will just buy wifi USB adapter my desktop...

now that i'm forced to switch to fibre by Singtel............is the connection like below ?...........

i don't need any wireless feature since i use desktop...........so above connection is correct ?...........the ONT is replacing my present modem ?
Terminal Pt shuld be alr installed in ur living room so Singtel will just use yellow coloured wire (fibre optics) to ur ONR (modem cum router 2-in-1)... ONR will provide wifi connection to ur devices (Apologies for wrong info) or if u nid wired connection, can request them to lay surfacing trunking for Lan wires...

nid to enquire charges cause based on length...

Last edited by CareBears; 24-03-2018 at 12:59 AM..
Old 23-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #299
High Supremacy Member

Singtel will issue an ONR and a wireless router.

Since you don't require wireless feature, your connection would be:

TP(wall point) → ONR → LAN cable to desktop
Old 23-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #300
High Supremacy Member

humm if it's fast then I'll stick with wireless instead laying cable to room, scared messy... will just buy wifi USB adapter my desktop...
If you are happy with your ADSL speed on wireless, the fibre speed on wireless will be faster than it and should be good enough.

If you are looking for wifi USB adapter, best to look for those that support AC wireless like:
https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solutions...-6935364080051
https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solutions...-0790069384493

Terminal Pt shuld be alr installed in ur living room so Singtel will just use yellow coloured wire (fibre optics) to ur ONR (modem cum router 2-in-1)... ONR will provide wifi connection to ur devices or if u nid wired connection, can request them to lay surfacing trunking for Lan wires...

nid to enquire charges cause based on length...
ONR does not provide wifi connection, but Singtel will provide an AC wireless router(AC Plus) for wifi. LAN connections can be connected to the ONR itself, and also can use the AC Plus router's to connect the LAN cable.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.