HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[NEWS] Singtel to shut down ageing ADSL network in April 2018

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #61

Hi Singtel, I've got another question. If I were to migrate to 300Mbps Fibre @ $29.90/mth, can I opt to retain my analogue home line instead of switching to digital home line?

I'm on mio Home 10Mbps ADSL now if you require this additional info.
Edit: Made a mistake. Mistook it as 0.86dollars per 30s block when it should be 0.86cents. So actually analogue line is not expensive at all.

Last edited by VigilanteX; 05-10-2017 at 03:22 PM..
VigilanteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #62

What is the upload speed for Singtel 300Mbps fibre broadband?
Old 21-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #63
High Supremacy Member

Take note that analogue line outgoing call charges is $1.72 per minute during peak hours. Very expensive. Digital line outgoing is free (pending confirmation from Singtel)
That I know, but analogue home line will be better in my case because it can linked to my lower and upper floor of my house with the same number.
amazingone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #64
Arch-Supremacy Member

That I know, but analogue home line will be better in my case because it can linked to my lower and upper floor of my house with the same number.
True because many years back most people wired up their house with copper wire from first storey to 3rd storey and some even to roof top where people can BBQ and drink there.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #65
High Supremacy Member

True because many years back most people wired up their house with copper wire from first storey to 3rd storey and some even to roof top where people can BBQ and drink there.
I'm staying in a HDB EM now, and yeah the copper wire is linked up to both the first storey and second storey for convenience.

It would be a hassle to switch to digital home line because another rewiring has to be done.
Old 21-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #66

I'm staying in a HDB EM now, and yeah the copper wire is linked up to both the first storey and second storey for convenience.

It would be a hassle to switch to digital home line because another rewiring has to be done.
Eh, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the VOIP modem will take care of the analog-digital conversion, which means that you connect an analog telephone cable from the voip modem to your phone. So, for different room extension, you just need to re-trace/re-wire the main socket only, not the cabling, and then you can connect a phone cable from the modem to the main socket and the rest of the rooms can be connected, right ?
AMAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #67
High Supremacy Member

Eh, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the VOIP modem will take care of the analog-digital conversion, which means that you connect an analog telephone cable from the voip modem to your phone. So, for different room extension, you just need to re-trace/re-wire the main socket only, not the cabling, and then you can connect a phone cable from the modem to the main socket and the rest of the rooms can be connected, right ?
Yup I know that too, Singtel also previously advised me to do similar setup too.

However, the TP location in my house isn't located near my main telephone socket, so if I were to do a similar setup that would mean wiring a long telephone line to the main socket. It would be quite unsightly though, thus I will be ruling out that option unless Singtel now doesn't allow me to retain my analogue home line after the fibre migration.
Old 21-09-2017, 09:20 AM   #68
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yup I know that too, Singtel also previously advised me to do similar setup too.

However, the TP location in my house isn't located near my main telephone socket, so if I were to do a similar setup that would mean wiring a long telephone line to the main socket. It would be quite unsightly though, thus I will be ruling out that option unless Singtel now doesn't allow me to retain my analogue home line after the fibre migration.
What SingTel does is that they will still throw in the digital line for you for the fibre and that is a different number. It will be provisioned over ONR and then you can choose to use or not to use.

The analogue line they will not touch if you specifically instructed them and that all outgoing calls are charged and your subscription fees continue..

However, things will turn awry if you want to change your digital line number to your analogue number should you intend to turn it into a digital line. My old experience for it was a very lengthy one. Took about 3 4 months to settle. But that was many years ago during the exStream days..
kw442 and amazingone like this.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #69
High Supremacy Member

What SingTel does is that they will still throw in the digital line for you for the fibre and that is a different number. It will be provisioned over ONR and then you can choose to use or not to use.

The analogue line they will not touch if you specifically instructed them and that all outgoing calls are charged and your subscription fees continue..

However, things will turn awry if you want to change your digital line number to your analogue number should you intend to turn it into a digital line. My old experience for it was a very lengthy one. Took about 3 4 months to settle. But that was many years ago during the exStream days..
Oh, so I will get a different number for the digital line while I retain my existing analogue line with my existing number.

3-4 months is rather long for the migration from analogue to digital, wonder if the duration of the process is now shorter or not haha

Thanks for the info, renfred89, very informative
Old 21-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #70
Featured Sponsor

Hi VigilanteX,

Yes, the statements are correct.

Sorry Singtel, still a bit confused. Are the following statements correct?

1) I can request for migration from 10 Mbps adsl to Fibre 300mbps to come with a analogue home line that comes without the need to pay quarterly subscription. ($29.43 quarterly.)

charges for outgoing call will still apply. Incoming calls are free.

2. The free digital home line will still be available even if I were to retain the existing analogue home line stated in point number 1.

3. The fiber internet and analogue phone line can be under different subscriber/name and will still qualify for free analogue subscription.

4. For DIGITAL home line, subscription fee, outgoing or incoming call charges do not apply as long as I continue my subscription to Singtel fibre 300mbps.

Thank you for your reply Singtel.
Hi amazingone,

Yes, you can opt to retain analogue home line.

Hi Singtel, I've got another question. If I were to migrate to 300Mbps Fibre @ $29.90/mth, can I opt to retain my analogue home line instead of switching to digital home line?

I'm on mio Home 10Mbps ADSL now if you require this additional info.
kw442 likes this.

Feel free to reach out to us here on Mondays to Fridays (9 am to 6 pm).
Singtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #71

is the upload speed for 300mbs symmetrical?
Old 21-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #72

is the upload speed for 300mbs symmetrical?

Tested with a wired connection, Bitdefender Total Security running but VPN turned off.
kw442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #73

Tested with a wired connection, Bitdefender Total Security running but VPN turned off.
So theoretically, a Singel Fibre 300Mbps has both a download and upload speed of 300Mbs ?
Old 21-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #74
Master Member

@Singtel,
The home line number still remains the same if upgrade to digital ?
peterchan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 02:37 PM   #75
Featured Sponsor

@Singtel,
The home line number still remains the same if upgrade to digital ?
Hi peterchan75,

The home line number will remain the same if you upgrade to digital.

There will be no charges for upgrading to digital line.

Feel free to reach out to us here on Mondays to Fridays (9 am to 6 pm).
Singtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.